Unlockable Accessories?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
kheknin

Unlockable Accessories?

Postby kheknin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Is it just me or does Yooka and Laylee seem a bit... naked? Donkey Kong has a tie, Diddy has a hat and shirt, Banjo has shorts, and Kazooie has a backpack. That being said, would you like unlockable clothing items to put on Yooka and Laylee?

Taylor

Re: Unlockable Accessories?

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Maybe Yooka could have a small necklace on, similar to Banjo's shark tooth, but I think anything else would be too much to be honest with you. The red parts of the characters add a lot of striking contrast already and Laylee is too small to be cluttered with accessories.
Taylonic Ltd.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:09 pm

They will get more clothing in the sequels.

I see what you mean though, not that I have a problem with it. Will see what happens.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:11 pm

They look fine without clothes. Customization could be a nice touch though.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm actually okay with them not having clothes, but it would be cool to have equippable accessories.

Tamashii7

Postby Tamashii7 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:39 pm

If anything, I think a necklace or scarf would suit Yooka. Otherwise, I think they're fine without clothes and accessories.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Half of the Looney Tunes didn't need clothes.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri May 01, 2015 12:26 am

Taylor wrote:Maybe Yooka could have a small necklace on, similar to Banjo's shark tooth, but I think anything else would be too much to be honest with you. The red parts of the characters add a lot of striking contrast already and Laylee is too small to be cluttered with accessories.

Agreed, they're both much more colorful than Banjo. Kazooie, like these protagonists, was colorful enough to not need an accessory.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri May 01, 2015 12:47 am

Not having clothes would make adding simple items like a bracelet have more impact.

Alph

Postby Alph » Fri May 01, 2015 1:45 am

It'd be neat if you could unlock a DK tie and a baseball cap with the Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong amiibos.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 am

The only character that could be clothed is Laylee (yes, the Bat). And as said, there's not much room to do that.

Why only Laylee? Because Yooka may well have a camouflage ability. It'd be kind of weird to be able to change the color of your clothes as if they were your skin.

I expand on that theory in that you may have a vulnerability where Laylee is exposed. There is a "cubby" in Yooka's head that Laylee holds himself in, and when Yooka camouflages, I expect Laylee would duck into that. Problem is Yooka may not be able to extend her... ears? horns? things back and wrap around Laylee because they may be static.

That gameplay dynamic if Laylee is exposed during camouflage means AI could spot where you are if you turn Yooka's back to them.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:04 am

Tamashii7 wrote:If anything, I think a necklace or scarf would suit Yooka. Otherwise, I think they're fine without clothes and accessories.

I would like a little something on yooka, I love your scarf idea. I don't like "costumes" for characters because i think it prevents the character from having an iconic look. I mean, what if banjo and kazooie changed clothes ever world, I woudln't like that.

Yooka would be cool with a scarf, I also thought a feminine tan blouse would be neat(assuming yooka is female)

But I'm completely against unlockable accessories. The heroes need a certain look and it needs to stay the same.

clanker

Postby clanker » Fri May 01, 2015 5:09 am

Exaskryz wrote:The only character that could be clothed is Laylee (yes, the Bat). And as said, there's not much room to do that.

Why only Laylee? Because Yooka may well have a camouflage ability. It'd be kind of weird to be able to change the color of your clothes as if they were your skin.

I expand on that theory in that you may have a vulnerability where Laylee is exposed. There is a "cubby" in Yooka's head that Laylee holds himself in, and when Yooka camouflages, I expect Laylee would duck into that. Problem is Yooka may not be able to extend her... ears? horns? things back and wrap around Laylee because they may be static.

That gameplay dynamic if Laylee is exposed during camouflage means AI could spot where you are if you turn Yooka's back to them.

This is a good point! I do feel like they're missing some little accessories, but I see what you mean.

On the other hand though, I don't think it would break the game logic too much to have clothing and accessories vanish, too...there could definitely be some kind of excuse. Actually, it could be really charming if a hat on Laylee or something gave the player clear indication of where the camouflaged character was.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri May 01, 2015 1:21 pm

I agree that we don't need to limit the game to be realistic in regards to physics and stuff. There's nothing stopping the game from camouflaging clothes. Yet I can't fault Playtonic for making the choice to leave them without clothing.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Unlocking outfits and accessories could be nice so we could design them how we want, like in worms.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 01, 2015 1:33 pm

So far all the revealed characters have been naked. The duo and the minions. I support freedom of expression, but I would like to start seeing a few clothed fellows soon.
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Someone on /v/ actually made an interesting make-over of the characters (which I then found on Reddit):

I gotta say I like the shirt and the belt. And the goggles on Laylee. I don't particularly care one way or another for the literal re-design of their body shapes.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 01, 2015 2:06 pm

That redesign does look pretty cool. A lot less tacky than I thought clothes on these guys would have looked!
Taylonic Ltd.

Burn_Victim

Postby Burn_Victim » Fri May 01, 2015 3:28 pm

dotEXE wrote:Someone on /v/ actually made an interesting make-over of the characters (which I then found on Reddit):

I gotta say I like the shirt and the belt. And the goggles on Laylee. I don't particularly care one way or another for the literal re-design of their body shapes.

This looks pretty good actually and what I was sort of thinking would be good clothing items for the two, I was thinking vest though instead of shirt. Though I've gotten used to the characters a bit more and don't finding them looking as weird as I did initially upon seeing them. It is funny imagining how stupid Banjo and Conker would look naked though.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”