POLL: Language Translation

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Which language version would you like to see?

Chinese
No votes
Japanese
33%
Portuguese
38%
Russian
No votes
Dutch
14%
Arabic
5%
Hindi
No votes
Punjabi
No votes
Other (post your suggestion below)
10%

Total votes: 21

CDX

POLL: Language Translation

Postby CDX » Fri May 08, 2015 11:01 am

(Moderator comment: Poll added 06/01/2017.)

So, the stretch goal for translation (french, spanish, german and italian) is reached. In the kickstarter page, there is a mention to 'plus extra languages voted for by backers'...

Why not portuguese as well? =P See, I'm brazilian (so please don't notice stupid grammatical errors from myself XD) and many few people around here can understand english or any of these other languages.

Videogame were never mainstream in Brazil. It's damn expansive, and usually seen as a media for nerds or kids. Despite the freaking HUGE amount of gamers we actually have. But just recently (in Xbox 360) games translated to portuguese begun do show up and, I can tell ya, this REALLY makes a difference on how many people develop an interest for the game and actually buy it.

Didn't find a topic for the subject, so sorry if there is one. ;)
Last edited by CDX on Fri May 08, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notdog1996

Re: Languages

Postby notdog1996 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Yeah, I heard that nintendo even stopped supporting you guys... That sucks. Portuguese seems like a fine language, if you ask me.

This makes me think of how we didn't have any games in French when I was young. Nintendo gave some sort of excuse that there weren't enough French speakers in North America and stuff. Though, they finally gave us the France translation (while letting us choose between English, French and Spanish most of the time). The translations are so horrid that they make my eyes bleed xD Anyway, I learned English so much faster with videogames, so English games have a nostalgic factor for me. If we had our own French translation, or if France would just TRY to make an international translation, I would probably change my mind!

For languages that should be in, I would say Portuguese, Korean, Japanese and maybe Chinese (mandarin) and Russian.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri May 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Dothraki and Klingon. Totes.
you kuh lady

CDX

Postby CDX » Fri May 08, 2015 4:04 pm

notdog1996 wrote:Yeah, I heard that nintendo even stopped supporting you guys... That sucks.

True that. Actually, Nintendo never really supported Brazil. All she does once in a while is to hire a sucker brazilian representative that does absolutely nothing but to raise the prices even more: Latamel, Gradiente, Playtronic and 'Gaming do Brasil'. They never did anything for brazilian gamers, believe me. Nintendo sucks at these matters. Really.

On the other hand, we had recently very good translations around here. Mortal Kombat X's is ridiculous, but The Last of Us and GTA5 both have excellent subtitles in portuguese. Besides, with the huge gamers fanbase Brazil does have, we often find very good fan-made translations over the internet.

With so many people in Brazil disposed to translate Yooka-Laylee, and with such a huge fanbase wishing to play it in portuguese, I can't see why Playtonic could not do so.
Last edited by CDX on Mon May 18, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Fri May 08, 2015 4:33 pm

A Portuguese translation would be pretty cool! I'm Brazilian too, and it's always awesome to see games in Portuguese, since it's so rare to actually see games translated to Portuguese (and well translated, at that!)

But I think it'd be important to give players the option to play in the language they want. As much as having translations is fantastic so people who don't speak English can enjoy the game and its humor, many people still prefer to play the game in its original language. Heck, I'd still play Yooka-Laylee in English even if there was a Portuguese translation.

CDX wrote:
notdog1996 wrote:Yeah, I heard that nintendo even stopped supporting you guys... That sucks.

True that. Actually, Nintendo never really supported Brazil. All she does once in a while is to hire a sucker brazilian representative that doesn't do absolutely nothing but to raise the prices even more: Latamel, Gradiente, Playtronic and 'Gaming do Brasil'. They never did anything for brazilian gamers, believe me. Nintendo sucks at these matters. Really.

I think other people in this forum might be a bit confused by a little something you said, so I think I should clear it up. It's just that "PlaytRonic" was the name of a company that used to distribute Nintendo games in Brazil back in the N64 days. I think the name coincidence with Playtonic is fairly amusing, in fact :P It reminds me even more of this "comeback" to the N64 days, even in the name!

And, CDX, what you said about those companies isn't true at all. None of them raised prices here in Brazil. In fact, they helped to keep the prices as low as possible. The problem in Brazil is that taxes for games are extremely high, so a $60 game ends up costing as much as 250 reais over here. And, for comparison, our minimum wage is 788 reais per month. Those companies that represented Nintendo here were a way to have prices be a bit less absurd. You could buy 3DS games for as "low" as 150 reais back when Gaming do Brasil was around, but now that it's gone, they're costing as much as Wii U ones used to cost, at 250. And I've seen Wii U games being sold for as much as 280 lately. Heck, Mario Kart 8 was released an entire year ago, and I saw it being sold for that much just the other day!

And now that Nintendo has completely left Brazil, the prices have been completely crazy. Heck, the other day I saw a Mario Party 10 and amiibo bundle being sold for 379 reais! If you don't believe me:

It's very hard to be a gamer in Brazil. This is why it's always so amazing when we see companies actually supporting us with things such as Brazilian Portuguese translations!

CDX

Postby CDX » Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Unexpected wrote:But I think it'd be important to give players the option to play in the language they want. As much as having translations is fantastic so people who don't speak English can enjoy the game and its humor, many people still prefer to play the game in its original language. Heck, I'd still play Yooka-Laylee in English even if there was a Portuguese translation.

But of course. I didn't mention it because I thought it was obvious, since every single game with multiple languages nowadays (including the mentioned The Last of Us and GTA5) has this option feature. =P

Unexpected wrote:I think other people in this forum might be a bit confused by a little something you said, so I think I should clear it up. It's just that "PlaytRonic" was the name of a company that used to distribute Nintendo games in Brazil back in the N64 days. I think the name coincidence with Playtonic is fairly amusing, in fact :P It reminds me even more of this "comeback" to the N64 days, even in the name!

Hahahahaha, thanks, I forgot that! Also:

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=play ... 40&bih=789

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playtronic

Unexpected wrote:And, CDX, what you said about those companies isn't true at all. None of them raised prices here in Brazil. In fact, they helped to keep the prices as low as possible.

You sure you are brazilian? =P

Man, Gradiente's prices always were absolutely insane. No taxes were justification for what they did, and trust me, I know something about brazilian taxes for Videogame. I'm from NGM (Nós Gamers Merecemos) and we did much more for lowering prices in Brazil than Gradiente ever did. Latamel were even worse. Gaming do Brazil I didn't know very well, but in Rio de Janeiro at least I can still buy games for less than 100 reais at Uruguaiana market in downtown, even without GdB.

Unexpected wrote:It's very hard to be a gamer in Brazil. This is why it's always so amazing when we see companies actually supporting us with things such as Brazilian Portuguese translations!

Couldn't agree more.

(also, it feels very strange to talk to a fellow brazilian in english at a british forum XD)

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Fri May 08, 2015 6:27 pm

CDX wrote:But of course. I didn't mention it because I thought it was obvious, since every single game with multiple languages nowadays (including the mentioned The Last of Us and GTA5) has this option feature. =P

I mentioned it because I've played games that changed their language based on system settings instead of it being an option in the menu. They were X Box 360 games for the most part, and I had my menus set to Portuguese, and when I played Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, the language was not only in Portuguese, but European Portuguese xD I just changed the system language to English and all was good, but having the language option in-game doesn't hurt. Also, Hotline Miami 2 on Steam always shows the first screen in Portuguese for me, even though I set the game to English. Then I got worried about the possibility of a game not changing its language at all. I just hope Yooka-Laylee will give us options like any game should~

CDX wrote:You sure you are brazilian? =P

Man, Gradiente's prices always were absolutely insane. No taxes were justification for what they did, and trust me, I know something about brazilian taxes for Videogame. I'm from NGM (Nós Gamers Merecemos) and we did much more for lowering prices in Brazil than Gradiente ever did. Latamel were even worse. Gaming do Brazil I didn't know very well, but in Rio de Janeiro at least I can still buy games for less than 100 reais at Uruguaiana market in downtown, even without GdB.

I gotta admit I can't speak much for Gradiente because I was way too young at those times to understand pricing and such. Nowadays, if you look hard, you can find some places that sell older games for a lower price, but I have yet to see a new Wii U or 3DS game being sold for less than 150 reais x3 But you can't deny that the prices of Nintendo games have risen a lot in general ever since GdB left the country.

CDX wrote:(also, it feels very strange to talk to a fellow brazilian in english at a british forum XD)

I know the feel xD

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Fri May 08, 2015 10:10 pm

notdog1996 wrote:Yeah, I heard that nintendo even stopped supporting you guys... That sucks. Portuguese seems like a fine language, if you ask me.

This makes me think of how we didn't have any games in French when I was young. Nintendo gave some sort of excuse that there weren't enough French speakers in North America and stuff. Though, they finally gave us the France translation (while letting us choose between English, French and Spanish most of the time). The translations are so horrid that they make my eyes bleed xD Anyway, I learned English so much faster with videogames, so English games have a nostalgic factor for me. If we had our own French translation, or if France would just TRY to make an international translation, I would probably change my mind!

For languages that should be in, I would say Portuguese, Korean, Japanese and maybe Chinese (mandarin) and Russian.

Hey! Good to see that I'm not the only Québécois here! :)

If I remember correctly, Diddy Kong Racing had a French option. And my brother have a French version of A Link to the Past for SNES. That's pretty much it... But I'm glad we only had English games, I learned English because of video game (mostly) too... And yeah, French localization is made for France so they are horrid for us in Québec. I play video games only in English and watch movies in their original language (subbed) anyway.

I would love to see a Japanese localization. I'm wondering how they would localize the names Yooka and Laylee in Japanese though... If they want Japanese people to get the pun, they would have to go with "ウク" uku and "レレ" rere I suppose.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Fri May 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Lufkin wrote:I would love to see a Japanese localization. I'm wondering how they would localize the names Yooka and Laylee in Japanese though... If they want Japanese people to get the pun, they would have to go with "ウク" uku and "レレ" rere I suppose.

If there was a Japanese localization, then I think I'd play it in Japanese after I beat it in English! :lol: That'd be pretty cool!

I don't think Yooka's name would have to be "Uku". Their names in English aren't exactly a split version of "ukulele", so why have it that way in Japanese? :P They could just name him ユーカ (yuuka), since this is how they'd pronounce it, anyway. And レーリー (reerii) for "Laylee" would be fine too.

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Fri May 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Unexpected wrote:
Lufkin wrote:I would love to see a Japanese localization. I'm wondering how they would localize the names Yooka and Laylee in Japanese though... If they want Japanese people to get the pun, they would have to go with "ウク" uku and "レレ" rere I suppose.

If there was a Japanese localization, then I think I'd play it in Japanese after I beat it in English! :lol: That'd be pretty cool!

I don't think Yooka's name would have to be "Uku". Their names in English aren't exactly a split version of "ukulele", so why have it that way in Japanese? :P They could just name him ユーカ (yuuka), since this is how they'd pronounce it, anyway. And レーリー (reerii) for "Laylee" would be fine too.

I would too, even if I won't understand anything lol.

My knowledge of Japanese is pretty limited, but would they understand that ユーカ and レーリー is a pun on ウクレレ? Or maybe it's not important that they understand the pun anyway.

Cute_Spide

Postby Cute_Spide » Sat May 09, 2015 12:25 am

Yeah, Japanese is the language I want the most. Mostly to play around and see how much of it I can understand from these last two years of college Japanese. But idk if it's the most practical language to go with as one of the first extra languages. I think it would be important to get Portuguese in there, as well as maybe Russian and Polish, and then Japanese and maybe even Korean and Chinese.

Really hoping that some Asian languages get put in there though, they don't get enough translations v.v

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Sat May 09, 2015 12:42 am

I just had the idea that they could allow for fan localization. They could localize professionally the languages with most demand, and let fans do the rest in some sort of mod. I know Gone Home did that and it seems to be working well.

If they do that I will totally do a French Canadian "Québécois" localization.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:22 am

Lufkin wrote:I just had the idea that they could allow for fan localization. They could localize professionally the languages with most demand, and let fans do the rest in some sort of mod. I know Gone Home did that and it seems to be working well.

If they do that I will totally do a French Canadian "Québécois" localization.

Yeah! Rock on, mate! :P

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat May 09, 2015 1:23 am

Lufkin wrote:My knowledge of Japanese is pretty limited, but would they understand that ユーカ and レーリー is a pun on ウクレレ? Or maybe it's not important that they understand the pun anyway.

I think the problem with naming them ウク and レレ in Japanese is that the English names are derivations of "ukulele", not syllabes of the word itself. And, likewise, in translations, I think the names should be kept as derivations, not a direct reference. I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, it's kinda hard to put into words ^^' But basically, ウク and レレ in Japanese wouldn't sound as unique as their actual names are. I'd be up for just naming them ユーカ and レーリー, since it'd be directly how they write "Yooka" and "Laylee". Sorry if I'm over-analysing it, it's just that I study translation, and I love translation in general, so thinking about these kinds of aspects really gets my mind going XD

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Sat May 09, 2015 1:41 am

Unexpected wrote:
Lufkin wrote:My knowledge of Japanese is pretty limited, but would they understand that ユーカ and レーリー is a pun on ウクレレ? Or maybe it's not important that they understand the pun anyway.

I think the problem with naming them ウク and レレ in Japanese is that the English names are derivations of "ukulele", not syllabes of the word itself. And, likewise, in translations, I think the names should be kept as derivations, not a direct reference. I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, it's kinda hard to put into words ^^' But basically, ウク and レレ in Japanese wouldn't sound as unique as their actual names are. I'd be up for just naming them ユーカ and レーリー, since it'd be directly how they write "Yooka" and "Laylee". Sorry if I'm over-analysing it, it's just that I study translation, and I love translation in general, so thinking about these kinds of aspects really gets my mind going XD

I totally understand! It makes total sense! :) I prefer your way now anyway, after thinking about it. It's their name and you shouldn't change the names of characters. We have this too much in French and it's seriously annoying... (The worst is probably The Lord of the Rings... 1 example of many : Frodon Sacquet instead of Frodo Baggins. Ugh...) So it's preferable to keep their name as close as possible to their original name, even if they don't get the pun. ユーカ and レーリー it is!

ユーカとレーリーの大冒険? lol

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat May 09, 2015 2:08 am

Lufkin wrote:I totally understand! It makes total sense! :) I prefer your way now anyway, after thinking about it. It's their name and you shouldn't change the names of characters. We have this too much in French and it's seriously annoying... (The worst is probably The Lord of the Rings... 1 example of many : Frodon Sacquet instead of Frodo Baggins. Ugh...) So it's preferable to keep their name as close as possible to their original name, even if they don't get the pun. ユーカ and レーリー it is!

ユーカとレーリーの大冒険? lol

Yeah, I think translating names really isn't the way to go in most cases, too x3

それがいいですね!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 09, 2015 8:04 am

ユーカのレイリー (Yu-ka no Reiri-) is what I'd go for. レーリー (Re-ri-) is fine too, but I used to spell my name テーラー (Te-ra-) until I found out テイラー (Teira-) is more common.

Taylor and Laylee have the same pronunciation (Tay, Lay), so that's my reasoning.

Edit: ユーカレイリー, sorry.
Taylonic Ltd.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 am

I was thinking that too. Laylee would probably be Latinized as レイリー. Altho, I don't quite understand what you're going for with ユーカのレイリー (Yooka's Laylee)...

I'm just gonna say this now: it bothers me that the characters are called Yooka and Laylee. I've always pronounced ukulele as /ˌu kʊˈleɪ leɪ/ (oo-koo-ley-ley). Mispronunciations like /ˌyu kəˈleɪ li/ (yoo-kuh-ley-lee) just drive me crazy, becuz they don't make any sense! *...rant continues for a few hours*

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 09, 2015 10:49 am

moritasan2040 wrote:I was thinking that too. Laylee would probably be Latinized as レイリー. Altho, I don't quite understand what you're going for with ユーカのレイリー (Yooka's Laylee)...

I'm just gonna say this now: it bothers me that the characters are called Yooka and Laylee. I've always pronounced ukulele as /ˌu kʊˈleɪ leɪ/ (oo-koo-ley-ley). Mispronunciations like /ˌyu kəˈleɪ li/ (yoo-kuh-ley-lee) just drive me crazy, becuz they don't make any sense! *...rant continues for a few hours*

Oops! Well spotted; I meant to use the と (to) particle instead. ユーカレイリー (Yooka and Laylee).

I also agree with your little pronunciation rant, but I've become accustomed to Yooka-Laylee now and see them as standalone names that just so happen to almost sound like 'ukulele'. Ooka wouldn't look right, and Laylee rolls off the tongue easier (and also sounds closer to Kazooie).
Taylonic Ltd.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat May 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Taylor wrote:ユーカのレイリー (Yu-ka no Reiri-) is what I'd go for. レーリー (Re-ri-) is fine too, but I used to spell my name テーラー (Te-ra-) until I found out テイラー (Teira-) is more common.

Taylor and Laylee have the same pronunciation (Tay, Lay), so that's my reasoning.

Edit: ユーカレイリー, sorry.

Using an イ instead of a ー for text in katakana? Heh, I didn't know that was possible, very interesting!

Also, I'm surprised at the amount of people who know Japanese here! This is pretty cool xD

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”