POLL: Language Translation

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Which language version would you like to see?

Chinese
No votes
Japanese
33%
Portuguese
38%
Russian
No votes
Dutch
14%
Arabic
5%
Hindi
No votes
Punjabi
No votes
Other (post your suggestion below)
10%

Total votes: 21

Taylor

Re: Languages

Postby Taylor » Sat May 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Unexpected wrote:Also, I'm surprised at the amount of people who know Japanese here! This is pretty cool xD

Heh, I was thinking that too.

I want a Japanese translation just to help me practice the language -- I study Japanese at university. I also think it'd be cool in a nostalgic sense because of Nintendo's origins, not to mention that Banjo had a Japanese version.
Taylonic Ltd.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat May 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Taylor wrote:
Unexpected wrote:Also, I'm surprised at the amount of people who know Japanese here! This is pretty cool xD

Heh, I was thinking that too.

I want a Japanese translation just to help me practice the language -- I study Japanese at university. I also think it'd be cool in a nostalgic sense because of Nintendo's origins, not to mention that Banjo had a Japanese version.

Oh, you study Japanese at college? That's pretty awesome :D I study it too, although it's in a separate course. And yeah, I'd love a Japanese translation for this game for the same reason! It'd be a nice way to practice the language. I've actually played a little bit of the Japanese version of Banjo-Kazooie too, it was a different and fun experience!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Unexpected wrote:Oh, you study Japanese at college? That's pretty awesome :D I study it too, although it's in a separate course. And yeah, I'd love a Japanese translation for this game for the same reason! It'd be a nice way to practice the language. I've actually played a little bit of the Japanese version of Banjo-Kazooie too, it was a different and fun experience!

へえー、あなたも日本語を勉強していますか。すごいですね。^_^私は日本語でバンジョを遊ぶことがありません。でも、したいです!

(From now on I shall be known as the forum's Weeaboo).
Taylonic Ltd.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat May 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Taylor wrote:
Unexpected wrote:Oh, you study Japanese at college? That's pretty awesome :D I study it too, although it's in a separate course. And yeah, I'd love a Japanese translation for this game for the same reason! It'd be a nice way to practice the language. I've actually played a little bit of the Japanese version of Banjo-Kazooie too, it was a different and fun experience!

へえー、あなたも日本語を勉強していますか。すごいですね。^_^私は日本語でバンジョを遊ぶことがありません。でも、したいです!

(From now on I shall be known as the forum's Weeaboo).

はい、私は二年間ぐらい日本語を勉強してきます!とても面白い言語ですね。日本語でバンジョを遊ぶことも楽しいです!

(Hahah, you and me both, I guess! xD)

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Sat May 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Nope you both are not Weeaboo enough. :lol:

Just kidding, but hey who does not like japanese?
I personally find it easier to learn and understand as chinese or korean.

Anyway I probably will play this game in german, only to find flaws in the translation.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:43 pm

TrenteR wrote:Nope you both are not Weeaboo enough. :lol:

Just kidding, but hey who does not like japanese?
I personally find it easier to learn and understand as chinese or korean.

Anyway I probably will play this game in german, only to find flaws in the translation.

I had a mandarin Chinese course in community college, and I found it easier than I thought it would be. It's just the darn tones that annoy me... But when you get the hang of it, it's not bad. Then, there's classificators... (what's the purpose of those things again?) Still, Japanese is easier (no tones, yes!!), but most of the kanji symbols are mandarin Chinese symbols, which makes everything so much easier for me xD

Haha, I will probably play it in French at least once for the same reason xD Then I'll try German and realize that I learned nothing useful in my course :roll:

Renan_de_Souza

Postby Renan_de_Souza » Sat May 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Lufkin wrote:I just had the idea that they could allow for fan localization. They could localize professionally the languages with most demand, and let fans do the rest in some sort of mod. I know Gone Home did that and it seems to be working well.

If they do that I will totally do a French Canadian "Québécois" localization.

YES! THAT! :D
I said it once and I'm gonna say it again: I hope to see this game in Portuguese, and if no one wants do to it, I would even do it myself, given the opportunity. Seriously, I'd do it for free! I just want as many people to play Yooka-Laylee as possible.

CDX

Postby CDX » Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Renan_de_Souza wrote:
Lufkin wrote:I just had the idea that they could allow for fan localization. They could localize professionally the languages with most demand, and let fans do the rest in some sort of mod. I know Gone Home did that and it seems to be working well.

If they do that I will totally do a French Canadian "Québécois" localization.

YES! THAT! :D
I said it once and I'm gonna say it again: I hope to see this game in Portuguese, and if no one wants do to it, I would even do it myself, given the opportunity. Seriously, I'd do it for free! I just want as many people to play Yooka-Laylee as possible.

Truth be told: if Playtonic doesn't offer Yooka-Laylee in portuguese, brazilian fans will. They are going to launch a fan made translation as soon as the game is released. And a very professional one, by the way. This happens a lot in Brazil and I can't see why it would be different with YL.

The problem is this will require piracy, because there is no other way to perform a fan made translation. (well, maybe mods, I honestly don't know how mods work) And well... This would be bad for everyone, wouldn't it? :roll: I wouldn't like it, and I will buy an original because Playtonic deserves to be paid for their game, but I can't exactly blame someone who doesn't understand a foreign language and therefore buy a non-official version in portuguese.

In the PS2 era, Pro Evolution Soccer series (Winning Eleven) were ridiculously popular in Brazil not because of the game physics or whatever, but because of the illegal copies very well translated, with cheers in portuguese.
Last edited by CDX on Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renan_de_Souza

Postby Renan_de_Souza » Fri May 22, 2015 2:26 am

That's what I said :D But not in an illegal way of course, hence "given the opportunity". ;)

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Sat May 23, 2015 1:42 am

Apparently, localization is a difficult and costly task for developers, even for lucrative markets (I don't have to tell any of you that English translations of Japanese games, even from big companies, often leave a lot to be desired). Similes don't translate properly, jokes and coloquial speech make no sense, and nobody bothers to write analogous dialogue, translators and voice actors just kind of go through the motions, usually. Yooka-Laylee at least has the advantage of having gibberish vocalization, so any line can be rewritten by localizers.

As much as I feel for Portugal's lousy import tariffs and what-not...actually, I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the question to find somebody to translate the text to Portuguese. But priorities should probably be as follows, from a financial point of view:
  • English
  • Spanish
  • Chinese
  • German
  • French
  • Japanese

The developers are English and nearly half their market speaks it. Spanish is the language of a chunk of western Europe and an entire continent. I really have no idea what the distribution of Italian language speakers is in Europe, but most French and German-speakers probably already speak English, too, but they will be accommodated as a sizable chunk of gamers whose language isn't difficult to get translated in the region. China is an enormous emerging market for videogames and their game is unlikely to get pushback there from censors. Japan, while a good consumer of these types of games, is a comperably small market and very hard to localize for from English. The investment would be a net gain, but not nearly as lucrative as China, Western Europe, or Central/South America.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sun May 24, 2015 12:08 am

chameleojack wrote:As much as I feel for Portugal's lousy import tariffs and what-not...actually, I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the question to find somebody to translate the text to Portuguese.

The import tariffs that we mentioned here were in Brazil. I doubt they're a real problem in Portugal as well :P We speak Portuguese in Brazil, just in case you didn't know. And I'm sure there are plenty of translators who would be willing to do this job! Not only in Brazil, but also in Portugal. Oh, but naturally, the translations would have to be different for each region. The differences between European and Brazilian Portuguese are pretty insane xD

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Sun May 24, 2015 2:34 am

Unexpected wrote:
chameleojack wrote:As much as I feel for Portugal's lousy import tariffs and what-not...actually, I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the question to find somebody to translate the text to Portuguese.

The import tariffs that we mentioned here were in Brazil. I doubt they're a real problem in Portugal as well :P We speak Portuguese in Brazil, just in case you didn't know. And I'm sure there are plenty of translators who would be willing to do this job! Not only in Brazil, but also in Portugal. Oh, but naturally, the translations would have to be different for each region. The differences between European and Brazilian Portuguese are pretty insane xD

Whoops, lol, I know it's Brazil, I've known for years, just a typo. :P

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 am

chameleojack wrote:
Unexpected wrote:

Whoops, lol, I know it's Brazil, I've known for years, just a typo. :P

Oh, that's alright, hahah xP

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:03 am

chameleojack wrote:As much as I feel for Portugal's lousy import tariffs and what-not...actually, I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the question to find somebody to translate the text to Portuguese. But priorities should probably be as follows, from a financial point of view:
  • English
  • Spanish
  • Chinese
  • German
  • French
  • Japanese

For what it's worth, the top five most commonly spoken languages (minus English) are as follows:
    Mandarin
    Spanish
    Hindi / Urdu
    Arabic
    Portuguese

I'd think they play games too. I don't really know for sure, tho.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 pm

moritasan2040 wrote:
chameleojack wrote:As much as I feel for Portugal's lousy import tariffs and what-not...actually, I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the question to find somebody to translate the text to Portuguese. But priorities should probably be as follows, from a financial point of view:
  • English
  • Spanish
  • Chinese
  • German
  • French
  • Japanese

For what it's worth, the top five most commonly spoken languages (minus English) are as follows:
    Mandarin
    Spanish
    Hindi / Urdu
    Arabic
    Portuguese

I'd think they play games too. I don't really know for sure, tho.

2/5 ain't bad. :D I was going ad much for ease of localization as cash-return. Kinda doubt the Arab market is big on game consumption in their indigenous countries. But I could be wrong about that.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 am

Yeah, I dunno... Haha. But anyways, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian are mutually intelligible, so if there's at least a translation of Spanish, fans can do one for Portuguese and Italian. Maybe Playtonic Games could release a translation tool like Tomato did for the Mother 3 fan-translation. It was truly a blessing that foreign people are able to play that game thanks to the hard work of dedicated fans. ^.^

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Fri May 29, 2015 1:12 pm

moritasan2040 wrote:Yeah, I dunno... Haha. But anyways, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian are mutually intelligible, so if there's at least a translation of Spanish, fans can do one for Portuguese and Italian.

Spanish and Portuguese are mutually intelligible to a certain degree, but I wouldn't say the same thing about Italian xP I have a hard time making sense out of Italian. Although it's more similar to Portuguese than French, at least.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Sorry, I meant to say partially mutually intelligible. But I'm thinking on one hand, it might be best for them to put money into the vastly different languages, and then at least fans can fill in the gaps. Then again, it might also be fairly cheap to hire a translator to translate the Spanish to Italian, et cetera.

SIDSTART

Postby SIDSTART » Sun May 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello. I'm from Brazil too and I am waiting very much them add portuguese language in this game too. Currently the Brazil is one of the world's largest games markets and is common for games to be located to our language already, then it would be great if this game was also located.

RPGs for example like The Witcher 3 was even dubbed in portuguese. I would be very happy to play this game in Portuguese I'm waiting so much.

gcmav2017

Postby gcmav2017 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 am

hello, which extra language will be in the game?

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”