List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby Yavga » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:46 pm

How about a Temporary Registration stop? Trolls will definitely attempt to spoil us.
Stop picking your nose Image

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Yavga wrote:How about a Temporary Registration stop? Trolls will definitely attempt to spoil us.

No, we'll ban them all if they try to do that.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Xellos wrote:
Yavga wrote:How about a Temporary Registration stop? Trolls will definitely attempt to spoil us.

No, we'll ban them all if they try to do that.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:33 pm

^ This guy gets it. :mrgreen:

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:What about the thread titles? They already have the potential of spoiling stuff. I guess I'll have to avoid the Yooka-Laylee forum alltogether...

Unless the thread title is something like, "There is a secret world 6", I don't think it will spoil much. I will permit titles such as "World 3's boss is a _____", but I will edit titles such as the first example. Users can decide which topics they read further; I think that's the fairest way.

I will start doing this from April 4th, by the way, instead of April 11th. The embargo lifts on April 4th which means spoilers galore.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Taylor wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:What about the thread titles? They already have the potential of spoiling stuff. I guess I'll have to avoid the Yooka-Laylee forum alltogether...

Unless the thread title is something like, "There is a secret world 6", I don't think it will spoil much. I will permit titles such as "World 3's boss is a _____", but I will edit titles such as the first example. Users can decide which topics they read further; I think that's the fairest way.

I will start doing this from April 4th, by the way, instead of April 11th. The embargo lifts on April 4th which means spoilers galore.

Plus retailers will break the street date as usual. Okay, but can't it just be "World 3 boss" in the title? I mean, that's enough info on the topic to get the discussion going if you decide to click on it (and know what it is) :mrgreen: I know it might be going to be quite some work, decide how you want to approach this. I would like if I could be spoiler safe until the Switch version's out, but do how you want to do it!
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Plus retailers will break the street date as usual. Okay, but can't it just be "World 3 boss" in the title? I mean, that's enough info on the topic to get the discussion going if you decide to click on it :mrgreen:

Oh, very well. :lol: (You can tell I'm making these rules up as I go along...)

I will try my best to keep titles as spoiler-free as possible, along with help from Xellos. Though you should bare in mind we cannot be online 24/7, so you may visit the forums and find a huge spoiler that we have yet to edit.
Taylonic Ltd.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm

When it comes to DLC ideas, do we also post stuff here as well?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

EekumBokum202 wrote:When it comes to DLC ideas, do we also post stuff here as well?

I was going to make a thread for DLC speculation earlier today, actually, but I decided to wait a week so that more people can play through the game first and better decide what they want more of. However, if you want to make a DLC topic now, feel free to do so! :)
Taylonic Ltd.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Taylor wrote:
EekumBokum202 wrote:When it comes to DLC ideas, do we also post stuff here as well?

I was going to make a thread for DLC speculation earlier today, actually, but I decided to wait a week so that more people can play through the game first and better decide what they want more of. However, if you want to make a DLC topic now, feel free to do so! :)

Well, I'm glad I brought it up here! I was actually going to make a threat tomorrow, since the game will have been released to everyone then, and since Playtonic said they'd only come up with DLC ideas after the game's released. I'm cool if you were to make it, though!

Mew Mew Psychic

Postby Mew Mew Psychic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:37 am

Do the devs still check this topic? Or topics on this forum in general?

I have no idea if Playtonic will read this message and given they already helped me with my problems due to BackerKit allowing me to play the game despite the freaky difficulties I ran into, I wouldn't be upset if they never did notice this message.

Still...

Some of these are variations on already discussed ones. Others are new ones. I'll class them by how difficult I believe they would be to implement.

Points about late game elements will be in spoiler tags, out of respect to fellow fans who did not beat the game yet.

[NITPICKS]
-Idle animations. While those we got were nice and the Emotes is an absolutely fantastic idea, the game lack a low HP idle animation (which can affect gameplay negatively) and doesn't have enough idle animations in particular. Given they help give life to the characters and in the case of the low HP animation, has gameplay uses, I think it might be worthwhile to think about more of them.

-Flighty Flight and Sonar Shield need to be nerfed heavily. The former completely break all platforming segments in the game while the later make too many obstacles trivial. I think that Flighty Flight could either have a cooldown upon use or use more power while Sonar Shield could drain energy faster based on what hit it. I will understand if that isn't possible due to some puzzles and to the final boss's design but I find it too bad how Flighty Flight almost entirely eliminate all platforming from the game.

-Exploit fixes. There's many obstacles that can be cheesed in ways that I bet weren't intended, such as the railings in Shipwreck Creek's slope not being slippery like the slope itself, allowing players to skip a small part of the stage. This is a minor point but such exploits are plentiful and end up making a lot of the game's obstacles cheeseable in ways that are kind of jarring.

-New Game + and/or selecting a Tonic at game start. Given Tonics are unlocked universally among all files, I think it would be nice if you weren't forced to wait until the middle of World 1 to use those that you have already unlocked.

-Make combo attacks actually do more damage or ignore invincibility frames on most foes. Combo attacks are difficult to execute but flashy, with a longer range. That is good. Except they don't deal more damage. Given the timing is quite tricky, this give little incentive to use them.

-Nerf Buddy Bubble. It effectively give you infinite air, removing all danger from underwater segments unless you go out of your way to not use it. I think it would be nice if instead of resetting the air meter, it instead stop it from dropping. I think it would make it so that the underwater puzzles in World 3 aren't broken while re-adding an element of danger and urgency to underwater segments.

-Skip dialogue function. Note that I'm apparently in the minority who enjoyed the game's story despite its shortcomings... but even taking this into account, having to mash A to get through long conversations I already saw isn't much fun. So I think that if this isn't your first time viewing a cutscene or boss intro, that you should be able to skip it. Hopefully, the game is designed in a way that adding such a function wouldn't add crashes.

-When viewing totals in the pause screen, have it default to the totals of whatever world you are currently in instead of the game's totals. I feel it would save time when exploring worlds and making sure you have everything.

-Have a manual saving option. Seriously, I know it sounds like a nitpick but I like being able to save whenever I want instead of relying on the auto-save exclusively.

-Have the game auto-save when you get the Pirate Treasures.

[BIGGER SUGGESTIONS]
-A Game Over animation when quitting the game. Seriously, the elaborate game over animation of the games that inspired Yooka-Laylee was one of their most memorable aspects. If lives are implemented as an option in some manner, have variations based on the method by which the player lose would be a very nice touch (and add an incentive to experiment ; many players will experiment with failure to see how many game over sequences there are, especially if they're humorous and/or very elaborate).

-I'd like to see more dialogue. Not more jokes but rather, dialogue. Yooka and Laylee do have some neat differences compared to their inspiration source but those differences do not show enough because almost all of the dialogue is jokes and jokes that don't allow them to shine at that.

[MAJOR SUGGESTIONS]
-I actually like the Yooka-Laylee setting and the idea of basing it off books, rewriting, and general genre crossing is incredibly fascinating. It's also not used well enough by far. While a complete rewrite is not a realistic idea, I do think that getting more cutscenes to flesh out the conflict and characters would be good. In particular, I'd like to see Capital B's reactions when you unlock each World for the first time or having Yooka and Laylee commenting on the events when you enter new sections of the Hivory Towers for the first time.

-A proper Hard Mode. The Butterthree tonic is a start but reducing player HP alone is lame, ultimately. It's better than nothing but I think that having more (and faster) enemies and bosses, having increased fall damage (no longer capped to 3), having butterflies no longer spawn when beating enemies (and potentially not respawn unless you leave a World altogether or die), and other such changes would go a long way.

-A lives system. Don't start booing yet! Notably, make it optional. Have the option to use extra lives or not so that players who want an old-school challenge can use it while those who think that they're "relics from arcade days" can do without.

-General improvements to enemies. In particular, I think that Corplets could become more aggressive as the game progress and/or occasionaly get projectile attacks. Corplet Punishers, in particular, need more than just one attack. Having enemies change more than just visually between worlds would help a lot in preventing the enemy line-up from growing stale.

-Buffed World 2 boss. Why do he have only one attack? He could use some variation in his pattern, other than just in his movement. This is a shame given how fantastic the level he is in, as a whole.

[SILLY IDEAS]
-On the lives system... one of my ideas was for a hybrid system. Namely, when you first hit zero, you get a game over... but you can choose to ignore it and keep playing with your lives going into the negative. From this point on, so long as your lives are in the negative, Yooka and Laylee will be "in debt", causing a grim reaper-like character to spawn at respawn points, complaining about his job and voicing his dislike of the duo.

At any point, the player may choose to actually have a game over, which will wipe the debt. So what's the effect of the debt? Well... if you clear the game while in debt, it will add an extra scene during the ending with the grim reaper still hounding the duo and trying them to repay their debt, preventing them from enjoying their vacation.

Basically, the point is that it play on the "optional" point from my simpler suggestion, give a chance for game over animations to be in, and has an effect (namely, on the ending) without actually forcing backtracking/gameplay repetition in the game proper. It also add an extra NPC who could be a source of humor, being an opportunity to mock the concept of death in video games or how modern players are so allergic to failure in gaming nowadays.

-It is really silly that Laylee's echolocation can't be used to find one's way in the dark given this is the big feature of bats' echolocation in real life (and as a whole in fiction too). So I think it would be nice if either the sonar could be used to do just that, instead of having to rely on Yooka glowing... or if the game included dialogue mocking the fact that Laylee, despite being a bat, can't find her way through dark areas using echolocation (may be followed by Laylee countering Yooka's comments on her echolocation by mocking him for being unable to swap colors without being told to despite this being the chameleon's species big famous ability).

---------------------

Overall, I am unsure if this will be read or if any of my ideas sound good (given they were not repeated a thousand times) but well, I decided I might as well share them.

Gogovsky

Postby Gogovsky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Manual save option, just to satisfy the brain. The "any unsaved progress will be lost" message really boggles my mind. Also, allow us to start where we left off. That would be cool. The fast travel option back to the tower is more than enough to justify starting where you exited the game.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 am

On the one hand, I'm glad there isn't a Game Over animation, because I hated that every time I quit Banjo-Kazooie, even when I absolutely had to, it made me feel bad because I "lost" for not completing the game in one go. On the other hand, since you have unlimited lives, I wouldn't get a Game Over under normal circumstances anyway, so I WOULD like to see what would happen if Capital B won... Kind of.

What I DO miss, though, is an intro animation like Banjo-Kazooie! Though I guess the Rap is supposed to be that, isn't it? Ah well.

gekkokid

Lack of uniqueness

Postby gekkokid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:12 am

:D Hello!

I would like to start this topic by saying I love this game Yooka laylee have brought back the joy of collecting game generation and so I would like to offer a HUGE THANK YOU to Playtonic for creating this game, seriously I am enjoying it a lot, all the nostalgia this game brings makes me smile from ear to ear and I can't thank you guys at playtonic enough for this feeling.

however so far right now I have manage to reach world 4 and I can't help but notice a pattern in each world that is bugging me sense I started playing this game and that is the lack of uniqueness in each world.

first of I am going to start with the most obvious:

the enemies, I have notice in each world it is always the same monsters but just dress differently to blend in with the world, if this game is going to be a successor to Banjo Kazooie then each worlds should have a few unique monster that don't just blend in with the world they are part of the world.

example: you could put alligators on world 3 sense it's a swamp and in order to beat the alligator you would have to jump and slam them to the muddy floor to knock them out of their senses and then when they are dizzy you can finish them with a tail swing.

see what I mean?

in Banjo Kazooie in each world monster where unique to the world they wouldn't just blend in with the world they would be a part of it and Yooka Laylee is lacking on this a lot.

now lets talk about the NPC the characters that the lizard and the bat likes to "help" for the pagies.

I have seen often the same characters in each world if we are going to see them at least change their cloth to fit in with the world and why are they so still like waiting for you to show up just so they can give you the mission?

in Banjo Kazooie each characters would blend in with the world like their minding their own business and like they are part of that world until they meet with the MC (the bear and the bird) if you by chance encounter the same character in another world they wouldn't be in every world but they would still be minding their own business in that new world but still look like they came from the other world and some character wouldn't even show up in the next world until you help them in the first world I remember that i saw that a lot in Banjo Tooie.

if in the new world they manage to see the MC they would recognise them even if one of the MC(mostly the bird in the case of BK) wouldn't recognise that character (I remember in Banjo Tooie they had this joke in some of the characters about the lack of memories of helping them before, this does happen in yookalaylee but I have only seen it happen only with rextro because of how over outdated of a character he is)

my point is this, each character looks like they're just waiting there for you to show up even the bad guys look like they knew you where coming, it's like this game is full of bad 4th wall breaking jokes constantly.

in banjo kazooie they would break the 4th wall but most of the time they would keep on going with their roll of the storyline and right now this is missing in Yooka Laylee.

I am pretty sure this is the reason so many player are saying the game feel dead inside.

and now for last let's talk about exploration:

some of the missions are repetitive what I mean is that by the time you go to the 3rd world to explore you already know you got to find Rextro to beat his game 2 times to get his 2 pagies, you already know you got to find the skeleton explore girl to help her solve a small puzzle, you know you got to find the ghost and ect.

my point is there is to many repetitive mission and not much unique missions in the game sure rextro game are not always the same and the skeleton girl puzzle are not always the same either but you already know you got to find them to get the pagies when you explore each world it feels like there isn't much of the puzzle solving in the world in order to unlock new areas to explore.

let me explain my self better on this in the first world you make a huge change in it when you help Nimbo make rain in the mountain creating a river the causes the player to have a new way to explore the world (the world completely change)now the player gets a new way to explore the world and then you can even freeze the water in order to be have a 2nd race with the other cloud charcter.

you don't get much often this world changing event puzzles that helps you unlock new path to be able to grab the pagies in other worlds.

this system helps make exploring the world much more fun and I remember that Banjo Kazooie had this in abundance in almost every world and I love that in Banjo Kazooie because solving the world exploring puzzle to get a new a puzzle piece felt more rewarding.

I hope we get a Update or a DLC soon that can fix this, it would be cool to expand each 5 world one more time in order to explore more and have more fun collecting more pagies, as for the quills I think it would be cool if by the end of the game in the DLC you could unlock the new expansion worlds not just with the pagies but with the remaining quills this would give people another reason to collect the quills besides doing it in order to get a new pagie.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”