List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Yavga wrote:
Taylor wrote:Random thought. I was just thinking about the difficulty curve and the expanding worlds. On a scale from
0 to 5, with 5 being the most difficult, I imagine each world and their expansion will follow this pattern:

Tribalstack Tropics: 0-1
Glacier World: 1-2
World 3: 2-3
World 4: 3-4
World 5: 4-5

I guess it makes the most sense for people who prefer to expand the worlds before moving on, but also works for people who want to move on without expanding the worlds.

What if a world can get more than 1 expansion :geek:

It's a possibility. All interviews indicate they have one expansion, but if some worlds have a third, it'll probably be the same difficulty as the next world's expansion. I.e. it goes up again by 1 point in my table.

It's unlikely to jump too far in difficult because Gavin has said people can either complete worlds completely, or move on and expand it later. Nobody wants to do a really hard expansion, then move onto a really easy, unchallenging new world.
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:47 pm

There's still a possibility that there are more than 5 levels, not counting the training area and the hub world Shipwreck Creek and Hivory Towers respectively. Since Gavin Price said last year there will probably be more by the end.

Gavin Price wrote:That's a secret Shawn... but there will probably be more by the end...

Source

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Xellos wrote:There's still a possibility that there are more than 5 levels, not counting the training area and the hub world Shipwreck Creek and Hivory Towers respectively. Since Gavin Price said last year that there will probably be more by the end.

Gavin Price wrote:That's a secret Shawn... but there will probably be more by the end...

Source

He may have been alluding to expandable worlds. That reply comes from when they were only just starting to make the game; lots has changed since then. Of course there is a possibility there will be more than 5 proper worlds, but I wouldn't expect it. It appears that Playtonic have only (almost) finished the first two worlds -- we know Glitterglaze Glacier is incomplete. It's reasonable to suspect that the other three worlds have barely anything to show, so a sixth world would possibly set the deadline back too far.
Taylonic Ltd.

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:05 am

I figured they just aren't showing them because they're later-game content

They might be totally done for all we know

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:21 am

ZeroJanitor wrote:I figured they just aren't showing them because they're later-game content

They might be totally done for all we know

Might very well be true. Just pick Lord of the rings for example. Development of the movie begun at the last film and ended at the prologue of the first one.
I guess even Yooka Laylee has a certain formulae that they work with. So they probably just dont show this yet.
Stop picking your nose Image

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Just thinking to myself --

I'd like to see a collectible that changes location. Something you cannot just Google and cheat your way to find.

I imagine Playtonic could achieve this by selecting hundreds of places it could be, but making each individual game select one spawn location at random.

Maybe it could reset its location every time you turn the game off too.

Maybe the spawn chance could also be slim, making it almost impossible to find. A bit like a Shiny Pokemon. Though this may be frustrating to people who just want to 100% the game.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:10 am

Taylor wrote:Just thinking to myself --

I'd like to see a collectible that changes location. Something you cannot just Google and cheat your way to find.

I imagine Playtonic could achieve this by selecting hundreds of places it could be, but making each individual game select one spawn location at random.

Maybe the spawn chance could also be slim, making it almost impossible to find. A bit like a Shiny Pokemon. Though this may be frustrating to people who just want to 100% the game.

Nice line of thinking there. One I can support. Man I came up with something in the same spirit but a little different: "a slight distortion in texture at random" that would be the trigger to something. Instead of 1/100 fixated places it would be embedded, the script should have a a certain AI.

Then there's the weird idea of a button that triggers a timer for like 60 minutes, without having any clue what to do.

The collectible stuck on an npc's tail which seems impossible to get because npc's are always facing you directly.

A certain prop that casts no shadow, it would be a clue to something.

A key with a customizable end, you'd have to figure out where, and how this key works out.

A mirror that seems to mimic all movements, yet is corruptable in a way. Leading to the other side.

Yeah... I'll stop XD
Stop picking your nose Image

ReturnRare

Postby ReturnRare » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:09 am

Yavga wrote:
Taylor wrote:Just thinking to myself --

Nice line of thinking there. One I can support. Man I came up with something in the same spirit but a little different: "a slight distortion in texture at random" that would be the trigger to something. Instead of 1/100 fixated places it would be embedded, the script should have a a certain AI.

Then there's the weird idea of a button that triggers a timer for like 60 minutes, without having any clue what to do.

The collectible stuck on an npc's tail which seems impossible to get because npc's are always facing you directly.

A certain prop that casts no shadow, it would be a clue to something.

A key with a customizable end, you'd have to figure out where, and how this key works out.

A mirror that seems to mimic all movements, yet is corruptable in a way. Leading to the other side.

Yeah... I'll stop XD

Random spawning for collectables would very likely annoy speed runners so maybe instead of something collectable spawning at random it could be a neat easter egg or something that you can find but isn't necessary to completing the game.

Maybe said item could "Vendi Vouchers", an item that you bring to Vendi in exchange for unlocking a Play Tonic in lieu of completing the challenge to unlock it. Basically like the golden hammers in Super Smash Bros. (Brawl and onwards) that let you skip a challenge. Or maybe even ingredients that grow in certain places throughout the worlds that let you brew your own Play Tonics. Or maybe they could even bring back cheat codes that unlock tonics when you enter the code onto Vendi's keypad ala snack vending machines in real life, albeit with codes much longer than two digits.
Banner by @DYAgames on Twitter.
Follow me @Return Rare on Twitter.

MrFoogy

Postby MrFoogy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:13 pm

One feature I'd like to see is when you have collected a vast majority of the quills with only a few left (say, 90%) you can get some sort of hint where the rest are so that you don't have to search through every single area again for quills you've missed. It shouldn't show the precise location, of course, but maybe something like a symbol indicating whether or not you are close to any quills.

kenshiago

Postby kenshiago » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 pm

Legitimate fun idea: Remove collision damage on enemies

Now hear me out, I'm not saying make the game easier, just make it so you only take damage from enemies on an enemy attack. The idea of walking into or standing on an enemy if you miss an attack, or just want to jump about is fun. I remember specifically that when I played Kirby's epic yarn I enjoyed the fact that you could just ride a waddle dee around, and enemies only damaged you if they swung something at you. Obviously the enmies would need to be more aggressive to compensate for this, but is's also fun to have that one enemy who wants to defeat you but all it can do is bump into you uselessly.

lordskelzor

Postby lordskelzor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:18 pm

kenshiago wrote:Legitimate fun idea: Remove collision damage on enemies

You could even just make it something you can toggle on and off

More choice never hurts

Bingo675

Postby Bingo675 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Not sure if this is the place to post this:

I just had a suggestion about utilizing the already functional fixed, overhead camera in more areas, primarily those that require platforming with the threat of death. A perfect example in the Toybox are the two floating blocks that act as a bridge between two of the islands. My first time over there, it was a bit difficult to tell where I was depth-wise (maybe in part due to the absence of textures), and I feel this could be easily alleviated with having the camera be fixed over an area like this. Getting a death because it's difficult to tell where things are is never fun. I think this can also be applied in areas like the stretch around the tower which you roll up, by adding in a fixed camera which rotates with the path (which you guys have done in the past).

Just some suggestions, apologies if they've been mentioned before. The camera is arguably the most important aspect when it comes to navigating 3D space. Loved the Toybox and can't wait to see more from you guys!

Pegasus37

Postby Pegasus37 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:00 am

I am also unsure if this is the right place to post this, but the one I thought would be the right one is locked, and Bingo675's recent post in this thread was related, so I thought I'd add my two cents here. Let me say that I am really looking forward to this game, the Banjo Kazooie games were great back in the day, and I miss great platformers like these as they seem to be few and far in between anymore. I really enjoyed being able to try things out in the Toybox, and overall it made me more excited for the finished product. That said, I did have issue with the camera, always seeming to think it knew better than I did where I wanted it. Maybe it's just me and/or the way I play, but it felt like when I zoomed out, the camera never stayed zoomed out where I had just put it. When I tried to put the camera on Yooka and Laylee's side, as soon as I started moving, it pivoted back to where it was behind them again, whether I want it to or not. This was especially frustrating in the part where I was trying to roll the big pink ball up the ramp. It took me forever to do this because the camera would rotate back behind them, and then the direction I'm pressing the joystick would be different in relation to the world and thus the way I was going. This resulted in the ball repeatedly falling off the side of the ramp and what I thought should be a relatively quick and easy part of the game took forever! Another place this made things difficult was where you have to roll up the blue ramps that wrap around the yellow hill? mountain? whatever. This was really my only real gripe with the Toybox experience, which I realize is still pre-alpha, but I hope there will be another mode or some way of addressing this in the final product! Otherwise, looks like it's coming along very nicely! Can't wait to see the full game! Keep up the good work there at Playtonic, and please address this camera issue!

demalmar

Postby demalmar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 pm

I've got one idea that might come handy in the subject of lives/no lives.

So what's the point of having lives if you can continue playing after that without any problem? Lives were a thing before the save state was possible. Now it does not make any sense. In order to "fix" this, my suggestion goes around a hidden counter for lives that the player cannot access to. Every 10-15 lives (x-x lives), a shortcut scene is shown, where the bad guy makes a "progress" in his master plan, or a joke about it (Grunty&Tooty style). Of course this progress in his plan is not real. It's just a way to make a joke and also to make the player understand losing lives is going against himself.

Jay

Postby Jay » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Here's one that's been on my mind for a little bit now, not sure if anyone has thought this yet or not. I've always loved the way that levels opened up in DK64 with the name of the level in the center and the camera flying towards your starting position while showing a little bit of what's ahead of you. I mean, it's really more of an aesthetic thing and doesn't matter if it's in the game or not, but I always thought it was a nice touch to make that first entrance into a new area a bit more of a bigger deal. What do you think?

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:18 pm

I like your idea of having an establishing shot of the world when you enter it, provided it's not as obvious as the ones in Super Mario Sunshine. To be fair, the intros were act-specific and were made to show you what to do. It would be good to show off the expanded level areas like this, but that might also defeat the purpose of exploration.

I didn't think this deserved its own thread, so here it is:

I think it's possible there won't be m/any indoor areas in the Tome worlds. Unless it's an intentional edit, the one door we see Yooka and Laylee walk through in the Gamescom footage acts like a portal to another, which is how it worked in the Toybox. Furthermore, we haven't seen any indications of warp pads or anything, but that could be intentional too. I really hope there are some nice ambient indoorsy areas!

Sgo-J

Postby Sgo-J » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:46 pm

How limited do people want the starting moveset to be? A guy on another discussion board said you should only have the jump but I think you should at least have the tail whip and glide ability if not more as soon as you get control of the character

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:34 pm

I'd love to see some kind of jukebox in the game that plays crazy songs from outsider artists like Wesley Willis, Harry Merry, Alien Kids and The Shaggs. If the rights turn out to be too expensive, I'd love to hear some really shitty songs by the developers about random subjects like the downsides of putting canned corn on sliced bread. Or maybe you can find those songs on CDs like in Wario Land 4, I love that game :D

I'd also like to see a character named Trowzer Minnow, referring to a small penis.

Oh, another thing, the Slayer - War Ensemble ukulele cover by Rob Scallon as boss music would be perfect. :mrgreen:
Last edited by wacky ducky on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:56 am

Licensed music would maybe be a genre first.
I'd like to see a puppet band inside the Jukebox, as seen in Shining Time Station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGdr1KAFHo&t=0m30s

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:13 pm

''Licensed music would maybe be a genre first.''
What do you mean by that?

Other random idea: there's some really well hidden button somewhere and if you press it, all characters have butts for faces

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”