List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
serpi

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby serpi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Perfect! Can't wait to stop playing to see them all.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:04 am

^ But it sounds like YOU need to go and play Banjo-Kazooie, first. :P

Wondering if we'll see anything "Team 17" in this game. Rares old titles would often contain the Nintendo logo, along with other references. Of course Team 17 is not creatively involved in the same way Nintendo was.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Meinhard1 wrote:^ But it sounds like YOU need to go and play Banjo-Kazooie, first. :P

Wondering if we'll see anything "Team 17" in this game. Rares old titles would often contain the Nintendo logo, along with other references. Of course Team 17 is not creatively involved in the same way Nintendo was.

Holy hand grenades, flying sheep, exploding grannies :) can picture it already ^^
Stop picking your nose Image

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 pm

Mmmm... *goes off and plays some worms*

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Remember POOP? Wonder if it shall show up in the game.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Funny enough, when they mentioned "The Device" on the QuackCorp twitter I went back to look at POOP and see if it looked like their profile picture.
Make the forum great again.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun May 22, 2016 7:37 pm

It remains to be seen if any of the suggestions in this thread will turn up in Yooka-Laylee. Though you could make a case that Playtonic Games already has taken ideas and implemented them into the game, like the bosses on each level or the quiz show idea that are in the stretch goals of the Kickstarter campaign. If they hadn't thought of that before the threads were made, of course.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Xellos wrote:It remains to be seen if any of the suggestions in this thread will turn up in Yooka-Laylee. Though you could make a case that Playtonic Games already has taken ideas and implemented them in the game, like the bosses on each level or the quiz show idea that are in the stretch goals of the Kickstarter campaign. If they hadn't thought of that before the threads were made, of course.

I remember somebody suggesting quills to collect, which has come true. I also remember suggesting co-op mode, which has also come true. People wanted a goldfish in a bowl somewhere and that has also come true in the form of Dr Puzz.

However, I imagine most of these ideas are pretty obvious and Playtonic probably thought about them before any threads were made. We know they read the forums, so if they see a decent idea that they think could be fun, I imagine they would use it. Playtonic seem like a very organic company; they don't work to strict plans. New ideas and such probably come up on a day to day basis.
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon May 23, 2016 6:56 pm

You know what would be great? If during the director's commentary of Yooka-Laylee, the blokes at Playtonic would comment on which particular idea from the forum was implemented into the game. Take for example the following: The Playtonic guys struggle to beat a particularly hard section in the game, but in the end fail because the guy who's playing the game falls into the abyss to his doom. But since he was on his last life (or his health meter was completely depleted if there are no lives in Yooka-Laylee), a game over cutscene starts to play showing Yooka and Laylee getting trapped inside the Grand Tome they're currently in, with no way of escaping their fate. Sad music would play in the background while the words GAME OVER appears and stays for a few seconds on the screen, as it slowly fades to black. Then one of them would say something along the lines of; "We actually took this idea from our forum because...". Well, what are your thoughts on that, Taylor?

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon May 23, 2016 9:57 pm

"So here is what Yooka-Laylee would have looked like when we decided to listen to all feedback, Yooka is female now and has a gun which in this case is attacking a huge enemy crabs' weak spot for massive damage. Also love his feet, Laylee had a nosejob while we were at it. They now obtained the Ice key by defeating the crab, try to unplug your hard drive from your pc and connect it to your Xbox, Wii U or Playstation 4 within 30 second to trigger 'Don't stop the swop' this will unlock 16 more levels. After that you can do a boss rush and start new game+ where the genders of all npc's are swapped"

:D?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 pm

I think giving credit to people that genuinely came up with a nice idea that was used would be nice, but it's a lot more difficult than that. For instance, what if somebody suggested an idea that somebody else already suggested but it was lost in the thread. People would probably be annoyed that somebody else got credit for it etc.

It's very tricky. I would say Playtonic shouldn't give credit to ideas they may have borrowed when browsing the forums. Perhaps it'd be good for them just to comment that the fans on the forums helped them keep things in-check or whatever. Anyway, anything in the public domain becomes free to use, so nobody needs to be given credit for anything they post here. It could cause more issues than its worth.
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue May 24, 2016 5:51 am

I didn't say that Playtonic should give people credit of taking their ideas from the forum by explicitly saying the name of the person who first came up with it, only that they acknowledge that the idea was taken from the forum like the game over cutscene idea I mentioned.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue May 24, 2016 8:33 am

Oh. Well I guess there's no issue with that, except it would probably be difficult to keep track of how certain ideas were inspired, e.g. someone posting on the forum, or someone just suggesting something in the office etc.
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm

True, but we'll just have to wait until Yooka-Laylee is released - and watch the director's commentary in order to find out if Playtonic has implemented an idea into the game that they hadn't thought of before.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed May 25, 2016 10:38 am

I'm actually interested in whether they incorporated some leftover ideas for Banjo-Threeie... you know, ideas that some guys from the old team might've casually thought of, without ever starting that project. Wait, wasn't Banjo X supposed to be Threeie?

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:I'm actually interested in whether they incorporated some leftover ideas for Banjo-Threeie... you know, ideas that some guys from the old team might've casually thought of, without ever starting that project. Wait, wasn't Banjo X supposed to be Threeie?

I think this is what YL is all about. Being able to implement ideas that they didn't have the freedom for to do before!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 27, 2016 2:02 am

The screenshot in Edge of the ice slide makes me think of Crash Bandicoot. I know it's not strictly 'Banjo', but I think some type of Crash-inspired mini-game would be pretty fun... I.e. a section of the game where you're locked on a track and run linearly through, either forward or away from something chasing you. Or something similar to the polar bear ride -- I loved that level in Crash.

Edit: As soon as I posted this I realised that the minecart sections may feel very similar to what I've just described above!
Taylonic Ltd.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:53 pm

A commercial that isn't cringe worthy :x

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Random thought. I was just thinking about the difficulty curve and the expanding worlds. On a scale from
0 to 5, with 5 being the most difficult, I imagine each world and their expansion will follow this pattern:

Tribalstack Tropics: 0-1
Glacier World: 1-2
World 3: 2-3
World 4: 3-4
World 5: 4-5

I guess it makes the most sense for people who prefer to expand the worlds before moving on, but also works for people who want to move on without expanding the worlds.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 pm

Taylor wrote:Random thought. I was just thinking about the difficulty curve and the expanding worlds. On a scale from
0 to 5, with 5 being the most difficult, I imagine each world and their expansion will follow this pattern:

Tribalstack Tropics: 0-1
Glacier World: 1-2
World 3: 2-3
World 4: 3-4
World 5: 4-5

I guess it makes the most sense for people who prefer to expand the worlds before moving on, but also works for people who want to move on without expanding the worlds.

What if a world can get more than 1 expansion :geek:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”