List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TrenteR

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby TrenteR » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:02 pm

DWard14 wrote:This list is too short. There isn't all of the threads on the forum on here.

:shock: dude really???

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:56 pm

TrenteR wrote:
DWard14 wrote:This list is too short. There isn't all of the threads on the forum on here.

Yes, really. This is meant to be a compilation of every thread on the forum. Why isn't every thread on the forum here?

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:03 pm

DWard14 wrote:
TrenteR wrote:

Yes, really. This is meant to be a compilation of every thread on the forum. Why isn't every thread on the forum here?

Okay, If you can't read I read it for you.

LIST OF IDEAS!!!

Not every Thread is an idea, and the other question WHO, said that this Post should contain all Threads.
If this contains all Thread, Why you have an Overview then???

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:48 am

DWard14 wrote:Yes, really. This is meant to be a compilation of every thread on the forum. Why isn't every thread on the forum here?

List OF ideas, mate. Not list of *ALL* ideas. Its missing that magic 'A' word, so its far from all inclusive...

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Dward never ceases to make me laugh :lol:

I got a question for you Dward. If you could add one thing (or idea if you wanna call it that) to yooka-laylee, what would it be?

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Xenoka wrote:Dward never ceases to make me laugh :lol:

I got a question for you Dward. If you could add one thing (or idea if you wanna call it that) to yooka-laylee, what would it be?

A weather system, in which every time you enter a world the weather is completely different changing the landscape of the level slightly and adjusting what Pagies you have access to. Like, if you enter the world when it's windy a boulder that was blocking the way before gets blown away giving you access to a whole new area. Or maybe the weather could make traversing the level an absolute nightmare, like a lightning storm could make every surface slippery, submerge half the level, have lightning bolt hazards everywhere and evil electric enemies.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:25 pm

TrenteR wrote:
DWard14 wrote:
TrenteR wrote: :shock: dude really???

Okay, If you can't read I read it for you.

LIST OF IDEAS!!!

Not every Thread is an idea, and the other question WHO, said that this Post should contain all Threads.
If this contains all Thread, Why you have an Overview then???

Sorry. Didn't read that part.

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:00 pm

DWard14 wrote:

A weather system, in which every time you enter a world the weather is completely different changing the landscape of the level slightly and adjusting what Pagies you have access to. Like, if you enter the world when it's windy a boulder that was blocking the way before gets blown away giving you access to a whole new area. Or maybe the weather could make traversing the level an absolute nightmare, like a lightning storm could make every surface slippery, submerge half the level, have lightning bolt hazards everywhere and evil electric enemies.

Hmmm interesting. I think that could work but I'd say it should stay to one level. There'd be a lot of going in and out of each level hoping to get the weather what you want to grab that last pagie. If it was a switch you could press that would work nicely.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Xenoka wrote:
DWard14 wrote:

Hmmm interesting. I think that could work but I'd say it should stay to one level. There'd be a lot of going in and out of each level hoping to get the weather what you want to grab that last pagie. If it was a switch you could press that would work nicely.

I see where you're coming from. What if we made it so you have to stick to your chosen level for at least 5 minutes but that might lead to frustration being trapped in a level you accidentally went in. The switch is an OK idea but that would mean that no one would experience the negative weather as they'd never choose it. I think the idea I proposed is the best solution.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:11 am

DWard14 wrote:

Have you ever played Mega Man Zero 4? It has a weather system like the one you're talking about, and solves the "in and out" problem by making levels tuned around being beaten in a single sitting, that way exiting the stage isn't an option until you beat it.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
DWard14 wrote:

Have you ever played Mega Man Zero 4? It has a weather system like the one you're talking about, and solves the "in and out" problem by making levels tuned around being beaten in a single sitting, that way exiting the stage isn't an option until you beat it.

A good idea, but in Banjo-Kazooie like games you don't really 'finish' a world. What made those games good is how you can return to old worlds with new abilities and get more collectibles. With the added expandable worlds, this isn't practical for a game like this.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:27 pm

DWard14 wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:
DWard14 wrote:A weather system, in which every time you enter a world the weather is completely different changing the landscape of the level slightly and adjusting what Pagies you have access to. Like, if you enter the world when it's windy a boulder that was blocking the way before gets blown away giving you access to a whole new area. Or maybe the weather could make traversing the level an absolute nightmare, like a lightning storm could make every surface slippery, submerge half the level, have lightning bolt hazards everywhere and evil electric enemies.

A good idea, but in Banjo-Kazooie like games you don't really 'finish' a world. What made those games good is how you can return to old worlds with new abilities and get more collectibles. With the added expandable worlds, this isn't practical for a game like this.

Without adding more to this discussion, I'd like to say that this is now a great and interesting idea for a new thread (if there isn't one, yet). It's a feature that can be both visually beautiful and gameplay wise creative and interesting.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 pm

While I agree that the weather idea is great and all, it was already suggested in the 4 Season World thread.

Scissormetimbers

Postby Scissormetimbers » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:00 am

Dynamic weather effects would be great... fog, changing tides, thunder and lightning, falling snow, storms etc.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Never thought about the weather effecting gameplay.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:21 am

Yeah! What if weather, day/night were present for aesthetic value but had no or minimal impact on gameplay? We see this in other genres.

Imagine seeing classic levels like Treasure Trove at night, or foggy in the morning. They'd feel more organic!

There could be small changes - like some surfaces being slippery in the rain, different enemy behaviors at night.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:07 am

Meinhard1 wrote:Yeah! What if weather, day/night were present for aesthetic value but had no or minimal impact on gameplay? We see this in other genres.

Imagine seeing classic levels like Treasure Trove at night, or foggy in the morning. They'd feel more organic!

There could be small changes - like some surfaces being slippery in the rain, different enemy behaviors at night.

But the effect on gameplay is what would make them interesting.

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm

A day/night system is definitely something I can get behind.

serpi

Postby serpi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi first time poster but really excited for the game.

So I've never actually played BK so I'm in the dark about all that series involves and its legacy but I did grow up with all the classic Playstation plaformers. Crash, Jak, Ratchet, Spyro, and Rayman, one of the things I really loved about platformers and actually really miss in todays games is inactive animation.

Like when you put the controller down for too long the characters would start entertaining themselves, it just brought so much life to them for me, I would purposely stop playing just to see what they would do and it made me love them a little more seeming them waiting around for me to join their adventure again.

So I would love inactive animation and to have a few dozen varieties would be icing on the cake to really randomise and give them life.

Zita

Postby Zita » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:20 pm

serpi wrote:Hi first time poster but really excited for the game.

So I've never actually played BK so I'm in the dark about all that series involves and its legacy but I did grow up with all the classic Playstation plaformers. Crash, Jak, Ratchet, Spyro, and Rayman, one of the things I really loved about platformers and actually really miss in todays games is inactive animation.

Like when you put the controller down for too long the characters would start entertaining themselves, it just brought so much life to them for me, I would purposely stop playing just to see what they would do and it made me love them a little more seeming them waiting around for me to join their adventure again.

So I would love inactive animation and to have a few dozen varieties would be icing on the cake to really randomise and give them life.

Idle-Animations have been pretty much confirmed already. :)

Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”