List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Meinhard1

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:38 pm

I wasn't sure if I could think of a Platformer using licensed music. But I guess there's Rayman Legends

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Those are covers though, as far as I remember. Then again, I don't think the first licenced music in a platformer would be that much of a special milestone. Especially since the artists I named are somewhat strange and underground. I really wonder how expensive those licenses would be. Those artists are exceptionally unuseful for actual soundtracks and background music. It only fits this game because it's really goofy.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:12 pm

I think it would be cool to have some one-time collectibles like the coin you get in DK64 for beating the arcade game. Maybe for doing something special you get a Playtonic logo plaque or something...

TheWolfBunny

Postby TheWolfBunny » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:29 pm

In Yooka's bedroom, if he even has one, he should an alarm clock that actually displays the system's correct clock. This clock is also a small dedication to Donkey Kong Country:

Heck, there can even be clocks in the overworld displaying the system's internal time, or how about a world dedicated to time, where clocks all around as you're finding stuff will display the system's internal clock?
Suggesting ideas to make Yooka-Laylee a little more enjoyable can really extend the fun that the game will have to offer.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:19 pm

So in this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... oka-laylee

Chris Sutherland said "We've always been fans of Shovel Knight,and thought it'd be great to have some guest star characters from the rest of the indie community. It's great for indies to be able to do that. There's no kind of big barrier, you don't have to go through seven levels of approval, you just go: yeah, we're going to do that."

Makes me wonder if there will be any other indie game characters... Shantae, maybe? ...Is it wrong that I want Sans from Undertale in this game? Or more guest characters at all? I'm fine with Shovel Knight, though.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm

I found this footage from EGX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD7W2N1DlmU

And I noticed two things. First, it looks like when you enter a new area, text pops up to tell you the name of the area (i.e. 'Duke's Temple' in the shooting gallery of Tribalstack Tropics), which is a really nice touch I liked from B-T.

Second, at some point Yooka shoots a minion with an ice ball and the minion reacts like he does for all other attacks- I think it would be really cool if enemies became frozen (like from ice eggs) or caught fire if you shoot fire at them.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Octopeart wrote:I found this footage from EGX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD7W2N1DlmU

And I noticed two things. First, it looks like when you enter a new area, text pops up to tell you the name of the area (i.e. 'Duke's Temple' in the shooting gallery of Tribalstack Tropics), which is a really nice touch I liked from B-T.

Second, at some point Yooka shoots a minion with an ice ball and the minion reacts like he does for all other attacks- I think it would be really cool if enemies became frozen (like from ice eggs) or caught fire if you shoot fire at them.

I think you meant to put this under the "what we know" topic, as opposed to the "List o' Ideas" topic.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Here's an idea.

PROMOTE YOUR FORUMS PLAYTONIC!!

It shouldn't be so dead in here so close to launch. Facebook, Twitter, Insta etc get them told.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 am

Scrubber wrote:Here's an idea.

PROMOTE YOUR FORUMS PLAYTONIC!!

It shouldn't be so dead in here so close to launch. Facebook, Twitter, Insta etc get them told.

Perfect idea!
It's like the Valley of the Shadow of Death on this forum atm...

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm

No, the opposite. Shut the forums down XD

Who would want to promote a page where the top several non-sticky posts are complain-a-thons about their company?

We need to astroturf some happy stuff first!
Make the forum great again.

luke11685

Postby luke11685 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:57 am

Someone of you played (Rare and Playtonic Games are like 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment)Rad Rodgers, yet? Speaking of old-school retro game environment.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:28 am

If it's the case that the Switch version of Yooka-Laylee will be released a lot later than the other versions (which seems pretty likely), would it be possible for Playtonic (or the moderators if they have the authority) to create a "Switch Waiting Room" or "Switch Fans" (whatever you want to call it) area to the Board Index of this forum?
That way the people waiting for the Switch version who like coming here to talk about Yooka-Laylee but who don't want to see game spoilers can still visit after April 11th when everyone else will be playing and talking about exactly what's in the game.

luke11685

Postby luke11685 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:33 am

Oh yes.

luke11685

Postby luke11685 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 am

Playtonic Games and Rareware are like 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment they should sale some N64 anthology collection on Nintendo Switch.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

Since the game release is now so soon and spoilers will be allowed from April 4th, I wanted to bring this up again:

ShanPen wrote:If it's the case that the Switch version of Yooka-Laylee will be released a lot later than the other versions (which seems pretty likely), would it be possible for Playtonic (or the moderators if they have the authority) to create a "Switch Waiting Room" or "Switch Fans" (whatever you want to call it) area to the Board Index of this forum?
That way the people waiting for the Switch version who like coming here to talk about Yooka-Laylee but who don't want to see game spoilers can still visit after April 11th when everyone else will be playing and talking about exactly what's in the game.

It would be good if something like that could happen as I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to have to stop visiting these boards for however many months (years?) it takes for the Switch version to come out in order to avoid too many spoilers.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 am

ShanPen wrote:It would be good if something like that could happen as I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to have to stop visiting these boards for however many months (years?) it takes for the Switch version to come out in order to avoid too many spoilers.

I don't think a separate Switch board would be viable, but I will try my best to ensure spoilers on this forum are kept to a minimum. The general rule at the moment is that 'spoiler' must appear in the topic title, warning you to stay out of the thread altogether, or a spoiler tag must be used if a spoiler is posted within an otherwise spoiler-free topic.

But of course I can't guarantee that I can keep everything spoiler-free at all times. Hopefully you are not waiting too long for the Switch version -- Playtonic seem to think it is coming soon, so I would guess a month or two at most.
Taylonic Ltd.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 am

Taylor wrote:
I don't think a separate Switch board would be viable, but I will try my best to ensure spoilers on this forum are kept to a minimum. The general rule at the moment is that 'spoiler' must appear in the topic title, warning you to stay out of the thread altogether, or a spoiler tag must be used if a spoiler is posted within an otherwise spoiler-free topic.

But of course I can't guarantee that I can keep everything spoiler-free at all times. Hopefully you are not waiting too long for the Switch version -- Playtonic seem to think it is coming soon, so I would guess a month or two at most.

Fair enough. And of course no one would blame you if spoilers manage to get through, it's bound to happen. However once the game is out, since the default will be that people are talking about the game, is it fair for them to have to label everything as "Spoilers"? Maybe instead people could just label the spoiler free threads that are safe for Switch users to visit?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:22 am

ShanPen wrote:Fair enough. And of course no one would blame you if spoilers manage to get through, it's bound to happen. However once the game is out, since the default will be that people are talking about the game, is it fair for them to have to label everything as "Spoilers"? Maybe instead people could just label the spoiler free threads that are safe for Switch users to visit?

ShanPen, you are a genius.

From April 11th I will adopt the 'spoiler-free' topic approach, but I will still encourage spoiler tags on major plot elements, twists, surprises etc. where appropriate.
Taylonic Ltd.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm ghosting when this game drops. Looks like most have already :shock:

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Taylor wrote:
ShanPen wrote:Fair enough. And of course no one would blame you if spoilers manage to get through, it's bound to happen. However once the game is out, since the default will be that people are talking about the game, is it fair for them to have to label everything as "Spoilers"? Maybe instead people could just label the spoiler free threads that are safe for Switch users to visit?

ShanPen, you are a genius.

From April 11th I will adopt the 'spoiler-free' topic approach, but I will still encourage spoiler tags on major plot elements, twists, surprises etc. where appropriate.

What about the thread titles? They already have the potential of spoiling stuff. I guess I'll have to avoid the Yooka-Laylee forum altogether...
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”