List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
followstyle

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby followstyle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:31 am

In July , I have played a DK64. Jungle world is not a jungle. Only cave with palm trees...
Playtonic crew,it's possible more jungle for YL?
I am French of France. Sorry for the translation

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:56 pm

followstyle wrote:In July , I have played a DK64. Jungle world is not a jungle. Only cave with palm trees...
Playtonic crew,it's possible more jungle for YL?

I think the early jungle world we've already seen for Yooka-Laylee is a pretty authentic jungle. The environments will be more realistic than what was possible on the N64; modern technology allows a lot more details and assets to be added.
Taylonic Ltd.

Dajo Fox

Postby Dajo Fox » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

I actually like the idea about the amiibo. I am a sucker for little figures, and I think a Yooka Laylee one would be amazing

croissant

Postby croissant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Has anyone mentioned the Grunty Switches ? In Banjo-Kazooie, there was one of these in each world. Activating a switch would reveal a jiggy in the current world or somewhere within Grunty's lair. But the part that really fascinated me was how some of the switches would permanently change the environment.

I would love to see something like this in Yooka-Laylee, where the player can reveal secrets in a similar fashion, by triggering unexpected changes to the environment. It was definitely one of the most magical experiences for me in Banjo-Kazooie. Things like how the hat on the Grunty statue near Bubblegloop Swamp exploded to reveal a secret passage, or the rise of Sharkfood Island (cheat code). :)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:39 pm

croissant wrote:Has anyone mentioned the Grunty Switches ? In Banjo-Kazooie, there was one of these in each world. Activating a switch would reveal a jiggy in the current world or somewhere within Grunty's lair. But the part that really fascinated me was how some of the switches would permanently change the environment.

Ah I forgot about the switches! It'd be cool to see something similar return, but maybe instead of a simple switch, there could be a small challenge or something a bit more interactive that you have to do in order to reveal the Pagie in the lair...
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Taylor wrote:
croissant wrote:Has anyone mentioned the Grunty Switches ? In Banjo-Kazooie, there was one of these in each world. Activating a switch would reveal a jiggy in the current world or somewhere within Grunty's lair. But the part that really fascinated me was how some of the switches would permanently change the environment.

Ah I forgot about the switches! It'd be cool to see something similar return, but maybe instead of a simple switch, there could be a small challenge or something a bit more interactive that you have to do in order to reveal the Pagie in the lair...

Good idea, maybe they could do something more physically connected to the overworld... Like pulling a root, which removes a plant in the overworld, that was blocking your path before. Or making some noise in the ice level, so that a landslide releases in the overworld an makes a path less steep to climb it eventually!

Ronbirus

Postby Ronbirus » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:46 am

Hello, everyone! First time poster here.

I think it'd be really cool to see a food-themed level. Like, maybe a giant kitchen of some sort...

I'm thinking things like:
    - A platforming section dedicated to jumping on fries bobbing up and down in a vat of boiling oil
    - Fridge magnets as platforms that you can use to climb the fridge
    - Sink swimming pool
    - Food themed enemies (pic related)
    - A dimly lit back-of-the-cupboard area with a bunch of rotten and stale food as zombified enemies

JAGM-Georgy

Postby JAGM-Georgy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Can i say my experience with Rare videogames?

One of my favorites options from Banjo-Tooie the Banjo Kazooie videogame was the Multiplayer mode, is fun, but, is a little boring becuse the same gameplay levels is not so much, my most played Banjo-Tooie multiplayer games was the Firt Person Shooter games, in Banjo-Tooie only 5 or 4 exist. My suggestion is make more of the same stages playable, differents and playable, i hope it work like a official tourtament game too.

Another thing that i love of Banjo-Tooie was the lost Stop n' Swop, it could be work fine with 2 Yooka-Laylee games in the future.

I love the option of play as Banjo or Kazooie inside of Banjo and Kazooie en same time.

I love the special color eggs from Banjo Tooie, it works like a cheat codes.

My suggestion is use cheat codes (just like Diddy Kong Racing Magic Codes) too.

Sorry, i am south american, i dont know speak english very much.

Saludos a todos los trabajadores de PlayTonicGames, espero que disfruten su trabajo y que les vaya cada vez mejor.

Aidan25

Postby Aidan25 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:22 am

Loving these ideas and all the hype towards Yooka-Laylee. I myself am very excited and can't wait to see what else Playtonic Games has to offer in the future but most importantly, Yooka-Laylee.

Here are my ideas:
1. As Laylee is a bat, make a reference to Ozzy Osbourne biting the head of a bat of which he thought was a Halloween decoration. It'd be hilarious and I think the best way to make this reference is to have a large character like a bear or a standing crocodile or something else with sharp teeth or in resemblance to Ozzy to bite off Laylee's head and then it grows back or to make some sort of joke about it.
2. Seeing as there are day and night transitions, maybe Yooka and/or Laylee can obtain night vision goggles at some point to be able to see through the darkness or there can be some sort of creatures with lights on them, illuminating paths or flying above and the light from their bodies or some sort of beacon radiates downwards to the surface/ground or around the area to light it up. It would be weird if street light-esque objects were seen in a jungle world! But if you want that obscurity, then go for it. Maybe there could be something related to tribal events at night or a minigame and/or cutscene where Yooka and Laylee are tied to a post haha and are a part of some tribal ritual with animals or creatures that look like tribesmen and tribeswomen.
3. A city world which is an open-world environment of course. Scaling buildings can be a thing, maybe parachuting, going into buildings and talking to animal executive and corporate workers for a certain mission or homeless animals who give you hints or have something interesting or funny to say about the place and/or their life. Maybe there can be stalls where Yooka and Laylee can purchase certain items (if you're into adding RPG elements into Yooka-Laylee). Minigames within the city such as a paper tossing game in an office, a street race, parachuting collecting Pagies.
4. Yooka can use his long tongue as part of a moveset to eat enemies (like huge flies) or collect certain items from a distance. Maybe it can also be used to latch onto objects and spin him around.
5. An underwater world possibly but I don't know if Yooka and Laylee would be suited to it. It'd be cool nonetheless because they can travel through pipes and reach caverns that have no water and can be walked around and the duo will be able to use their moves as they would above the water on land. They should be able to talk to sharks, fish, octopi, maybe seahorses and any other marine life that seem quirky and interesting.
6. In the Jungle world, maybe there can be some sort of white water rafting/river rapid minigame which could be really fun and challenging, giving a reward at the end. It'd use a blow-up water raft thing (one you sit in to go down the rapids in like an oval shape) and you'd knock into rocks which will maybe take you back to the start or there'd be a time limit and you can set high scores.
October 2016.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:28 am

This is good to have as it shows you all the main forum topics. Also, here's one you missed: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4513

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:49 am

Ronbirus wrote:Hello, everyone! First time poster here.

I think it'd be really cool to see a food-themed level. Like, maybe a giant kitchen of some sort...

I'm thinking things like:
    - A platforming section dedicated to jumping on fries bobbing up and down in a vat of boiling oil
    - Fridge magnets as platforms that you can use to climb the fridge
    - Sink swimming pool
    - Food themed enemies (pic related)
    - A dimly lit back-of-the-cupboard area with a bunch of rotten and stale food as zombified enemies

called
The character in this post should be called Pizzerio because Pizzeria is the female version, like Julia, but Pizzerio is the male version, like Julio.
In Paper Yooka-Laylee, at the start the villain would throw Yooka and Laylee down a chimney and Pizzerio and his sister Pizzeria rescue them before they burn to death. It turns out he is Yooka's biggest fan, which makes him join his party. However, Laylee is jealous that he gives Yooka all the attention and tries to make him her biggest fan instead. When that fails she tries to get someone else to be her biggest fan. His home is Crumbling Kitchen.
His moveset is:
Crust Rush, 0 PP. Hits a single opponent with his crust.
Lick Inspection, 0 PP. Licks a single enemy. Doesn't deal any damage, but tells you information about the enemy, as well as its stats. Outside of battle, it can be used to find out about places and characters in the overworld and get some dialogue from the characters as he randomly licks them.
Fries on the Side, 1 PP. Raises attack power by 2 temporarily.
Stuffed Crust, 3 PP. Hits a single enemy with his crust multiple times.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4514

CaptainExplosion

Postby CaptainExplosion » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Will there be a chance of the antagonist being hilarious and talking in rhyme?

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:20 pm

CaptainExplosion wrote:Will there be a chance of the antagonist being hilarious and talking in rhyme?

Yes, of course there is.

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm

I would love to see something like this in Yooka-Laylee, where the player can reveal secrets in a similar fashion, by triggering unexpected changes to the environment. It was definitely one of the most magical experiences for me in Banjo-Kazooie. Things like how the hat on the Grunty statue near Bubblegloop Swamp exploded to reveal a secret passage, or the rise of Sharkfood Island (cheat code). :)

Well we do know that we will be "expanding" the worlds in order to get more pagies. Would this be close enough to what you were thinking? I'm sure the landscape would change at least somewhat to accommodate the expansion. While I don't think we'll be using grunts switches to do this I assume it's a similar option to what you wanted?

As for unlocking stuff in the main area, no idea. I think it's very likely there will be pagies in the main hub but not sure how they will be implemented. I would prefer if it was almost a level in itself with little puzzles to get to next areas and maybe score a pagie. In BK it seemed like you pushed a grunty switch and then went to nab the jiggy. While the switch part is fine whether it's implemented or not I hope that grabbing a pagie if done like this is a little more than walking up and grabbing it.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Xenoka wrote:

Well we do know that we will be "expanding" the worlds in order to get more pagies. Would this be close enough to what you were thinking? I'm sure the landscape would change at least somewhat to accommodate the expansion. While I don't think we'll be using grunts switches to do this I assume it's a similar option to what you wanted?

As for unlocking stuff in the main area, no idea. I think it's very likely there will be pagies in the main hub but not sure how they will be implemented. I would prefer if it was almost a level in itself with little puzzles to get to next areas and maybe score a pagie. In BK it seemed like you pushed a grunty switch and then went to nab the jiggy. While the switch part is fine whether it's implemented or not I hope that grabbing a pagie if done like this is a little more than walking up and grabbing it.

Seriously? We're discussing Grunty Switches but we haven't even touched on DK64's instruments or guns?

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Well he was talking about environment changes and pagies in the hub world along with grunty switches.

When you think about it, the instruments in DK64 (besides being a kill everything attack) were pretty much just contextual platforms that you had to learn to use. And guns were just a way to hit a switch much like the ground pound or shooting flying enemies. Basically they are both just learned moves, and I hope in Yooka-Laylee learning moves is contained to a single person like banjo and tooie. Remember how you learned to use kazooie like a gun and everything else in the game from a single person?

In short, I think that the gun and instruments were glorified moves you learned. Also I remember reading about fart bubbles so maybe that's this game's equivalent to the guns.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Xenoka wrote:Well he was talking about environment changes and pagies in the hub world along with grunty switches.

When you think about it, the instruments in DK64 (besides being a kill everything attack) were pretty much just contextual platforms that you had to learn to use. And guns were just a way to hit a switch much like the ground pound or shooting flying enemies. Basically they are both just learned moves, and I hope in Yooka-Laylee learning moves is contained to a single person like banjo and tooie. Remember how you learned to use kazooie like a gun and everything else in the game from a single person?

In short, I think that the gun and instruments were glorified moves you learned. Also I remember reading about fart bubbles so maybe that's this game's equivalent to the guns.

A: The instruments STUNNED enemies and didn't kill them, and it also had a limited amount of uses. They were also visually impressive and helpful if you were surrounded by tough enemies and needed a moment to escape.
B: The guns were a way to add range to your attacks and were really helpful in a lot of cases.

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 am

DWard14 wrote:
Xenoka wrote:Well he was talking about environment changes and pagies in the hub world along with grunty switches.

A: The instruments STUNNED enemies and didn't kill them, and it also had a limited amount of uses. They were also visually impressive and helpful if you were surrounded by tough enemies and needed a moment to escape.
B: The guns were a way to add range to your attacks and were really helpful in a lot of cases.

8:47 (on phone I can't do timestamps) Diddy plays his guitar and then a Kremlin dies https://youtu.be/QHnL5qVqfbo

Anyway back to the point of this thread; I assume you want guns and instruments? Personally I don't really like "get out of jail free" items like the instruments. While rare never had very hard enemies it's still kinda dumb that you can press one button (ok well it's 2) to kill everything in a room. I hope they don't have a move or item like this, leave bombs to danmaku where they work.

The guns I think we're still pretty useless. Besides shooting bees and switches they were just kinda there. Sure you could shoot enemies but they usually took more than one hit when you could dash attack to kill them. Or they took two hits but since they are in hitstun you aren't in any more danger to hit them twice with melee attacks. I think they could do new stuff with guns but it'd have to be a first person thing like tooie and I really don't want that. I have played enough fps games already, I want a straight up third person platformer collectathon. No weapons is fine by me. Let me learn different, cooler moves than items that have been used in previous games.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:05 pm

This list is too short. There isn't all of the threads on the forum on here.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”