Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project up!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
BetterLateThanNever

Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project up!

Postby BetterLateThanNever » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:32 pm

This is a group of talent that was once part of the small team in the Banjo barn. This was, of course, back in Rare's glory days. These people made huge, multi-million sellers. Banjo-Tooie was actually the N64's final million+ seller not called Mario Party 3! This is a game that was released very late in November 2000 in North America and Japan and released way out in April 2001 in Europe and Oceania as one of Nintendo's last N64 games, even if Rare officially published this sequel themselves.

And look at Banjo-Kazooie, practically a mid-gen N64 game in 1998, and the 10th-best seller on the platform ever with 3.65 million units.

...And DK64 is 7th at over 5.2 million!

Source:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

If Nintendo truly believes that great software drives hardware (PS2 and PS4's early successes are arguably based on THE PROMISE of good software), then they should finance this project/studio, and ensure a physical release and Nintendo ownership of the IP. People miss GOOD 3D platformers, and sales figures and critical acclaim from the peak of the genre in the 5th generation clearly show that "collect-a-thon" was not a dirty word when done right.
Last edited by BetterLateThanNever on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krockhead

Re: Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project

Postby Krockhead » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 pm

It'd be an incredibly smart move by Nintendo. One thing Nintendo lacks but totally needs is another Western developer that can sell big time. All they really have right now is Retro, who can only make a couple games per generation.

But you have to realize something about Playtonic vs. Rare. Rare just hammered out quality title after quality title in a short amount of time, and their games sold. Just look at the chart you posted. Rare was(and still is) a relatively big company. They were sectioned into small groups literally stationed in barns. Playtonic is the equivalent of just one of those teams, in fact, they're a little bit smaller. Playtonic alone would not give Nintendo the Rare-like presence they desperately need. Like Retro, they'd only be making a couple games per generation. It'd still be a smart move though.

As smart as it may be, I don't think I'd want to see it. I want Playtonic's games to reach the broadest possible audience. The only positive I could see is that a close relationship between Playtonic and Nintendo might give the Backtogether Boys a chance to work on Donkey Kong again.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Krockhead wrote:It'd be an incredibly smart move by Nintendo. One thing Nintendo lacks but totally needs is another Western developer that can sell big time. All they really have right now is Retro, who can only make a couple games per generation.

But you have to realize something about Playtonic vs. Rare. Rare just hammered out quality title after quality title in a short amount of time, and their games sold. Just look at the chart you posted. Rare was(and still is) a relatively big company. They were sectioned into small groups literally stationed in barns. Playtonic is the equivalent of just one of those teams, in fact, they're a little bit smaller. Playtonic alone would not give Nintendo the Rare-like presence they desperately need. Like Retro, they'd only be making a couple games per generation. It'd still be a smart move though.

As smart as it may be, I don't think I'd want to see it. I want Playtonic's games to reach the broadest possible audience. The only positive I could see is that a close relationship between Playtonic and Nintendo might give the Backtogether Boys a chance to work on Donkey Kong again.

Maybe start off being a 3rd Party multiple dev, then as it evolves it could become 2nd party for Nintendo
Though I think they mentioned that they prefer having full creative freedom and control over their games
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:50 pm

No publisher should have any control over Playtonic.
Nintendo made Rare turn Dinosaur Planet into a Starfox game that the fans disliked.

BetterLateThanNever

Postby BetterLateThanNever » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm

I agree with Krockhead and we wouldn't be talking about very many games per generation. Yes, this is a tiny team. But the smaller team also means less $$$$ involved in locking this up, and a chance to throw Retro and ex-Rare developers together on a DK down the line. Previously, Monster Games had helped Retro with Tropical Freeze.

It should be noted that Banjo-Kazooie was easily one of the most financially and critically successful new IP's Nintendo has launched in the past 20 years and it sold more than 1 in 10 for every N64.
Last edited by BetterLateThanNever on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:No publisher should have any control over Playtonic.
Nintendo made Rare turn Dinosaur Planet into a Starfox game that the fans disliked.

1 - That was over ten years ago
2 - I think (THINK) that was just Nintendo being p***ed off at Rare about Conker
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

BetterLateThanNever

Postby BetterLateThanNever » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Lupo wrote:Though I think they mentioned that they prefer having full creative freedom and control over their games

Oh, absolutely, nobody is questioning that. But if Nintendo gets interested, that is some serious financial security and backing that any developer would love, so I think it's possible.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:57 pm

BetterLateThanNever wrote:
Lupo wrote:Though I think they mentioned that they prefer having full creative freedom and control over their games

Oh, absolutely, nobody is questioning that. But if Nintendo gets interested, that is some serious financial security and backing that any developer would love, so I think it's possible.

Definitely

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Lupo wrote:

2 - I think (THINK) that was just Nintendo being p***ed off at Rare about Conker

It doesn't change the fact that Nintendo tampered with Rare's original vision for the game. They aren't as trustworthy as their brand suggests.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:
Lupo wrote:

It doesn't change the fact that Nintendo tampered with Rare's original vision for the game. They aren't as trustworthy as their brand suggests.

Is any corporation (or human being)?

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Lupo wrote:Is any corporation (or human being)?

Precisely.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

As a more recent example, Nintendo and Platinum Games for Bayonetta 2 seemed to go incredibly smoothly, and Nintendo took on a more observational role.

I'm not saying Nintendo hasn't messed up partnerships in the past (obviously they have) but they're very capable of partnering correctly.

POE

Postby POE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:08 pm

I would love if Playtonic becomes a Nintendo´s second party studio.

Jayveer

Postby Jayveer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:04 am

I heard that they only forced that change so that the game couldn't be taken over to Microsoft, I'm just going off of what I've heard elsewhere though.

CGB Spender

Postby CGB Spender » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:34 am

I will never understand why people encourage exclusivity.

What do you gain by it being on the specific platform you want it on? The ability to go "Haha, I can play this and you can't"?

They are looking at PC and Wii U, and maybe other platforms. That's good, the gaming industry could do with less exclusive games. Try to be glad that more people who share your hobby will get to play it and spend less time wishing for more bragging rights on your platform of choice.

BetterLateThanNever

Postby BetterLateThanNever » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:07 am

Consoles are different and exclusive games are not an issue. We don't need everything to be uniform and everyone to be included on every platform. No thank you. Many indie devs like Playtonic do this for a variety of reasons, but let's not be naive and pretend exclusive games don't matter to dedicated gaming platforms or that it would be better if all systems were equal. They're not, often it is technically, often it is in market segment. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are always looking for exclusives.

Don't be lame please. :evil:

clanker

Postby clanker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 am

This is some tricky stuff. :(

Of course Playtonic as 2nd party to Nintendo sounds alluring, partly because the games seem like they will fit in with Nintendo's general style and partly because everyone wants that 90's partnership magic back. But it's not the 90's anymore, and it's probably best for Playtonic financially and in terms of people recognizing their brand to be on as many systems as possible. I think part of the reason Playtonic is doing things they way they're doing is because they don't really want to answer to suits about how to make their games.

Or maybe I'm still bitter about Starfox Adventures, who knows :roll:

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:00 am

I think a Nintendo/Playtonic partnership could be really beneficial down the line. It could give Playtonic access to a bigger budget to make bigger and better games with and it could allow their games to be fully advertised and given a physical retail release. And who wouldn't love a Playtonic helmed Donkey Kong game?

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 am

I would honestly love if Nintendo did partner or bought up Playtonic. What I'm concerned about is if they'd actually do it.

Nintendo has been very different since Iwata was put in charge. A part of me wonders if Nintendo would even want to do it. Not to mention Tropical Freeze apparently under performed. Why would Nintendo wanna buy back the guys who made DKC if Donkey Kong isn't selling? I don't blame Retro or the game itself, but the Wii U for it's sales to be honest.

Rare

Postby Rare » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:56 pm

I hope Nintendo locks up this project. It would fit right in with their line up and they'd have their golden goose back.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”