Split-up Multiplayer? (Co-op)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Split-up Multiplayer? (Co-op)

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Just had an idea that I think might be interesting... :geek:

What if you could plug in a second controller and split the characters up into Player 1 and Player 2. They would both have their own unique moves and could come together when needed. It'd be similar to the split-up pads in Tooie, but both would be controlled at the same time by two different people.

The feature could also be used with a single player, just like Tooie (for those that prefer or have to play alone).

I don't think this would work well online and may not be worth it financially for Playtonic, so it's mostly a local multiplayer suggestion. Just a little thought. What do you guys think?
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Re: Split-up Multiplayer?

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Taylor wrote:Just had an idea that I think might be interesting... :geek:

What if you could plug in a second controller and split the characters up into Player 1 and Player 2. They would both have their own unique moves and could come together when needed. It'd be similar to the split-up pads in Tooie, but both would be controlled at the same time by two different people.

The feature could also be used with a single player, just like Tooie (for those that prefer or have to play alone).

I don't think this would work well online and may not be worth it financially for Playtonic, so it's mostly a local multiplayer suggestion. Just a little thought. What do you guys think?

Sort of like Co-Op
I don't know why, but this reminds me of the Co-Op Half-Life on the PS2 had, quite an awesome one at that
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 pm

That reminds me. If Playtonic ever makes multiplayer games, bring back the splitscreen! I have a PS4 controller that never gets used because no one includes splitscreen anymore.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:That reminds me. If Playtonic ever makes multiplayer games, bring back the splitscreen! I have a PS4 controller that never gets used because no one includes splitscreen anymore.

So true, the only split screens you see nowadays is on Nintendo consoles, too many people are just focusing on online... I miss having friends over to play like Halo or Mario Party
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 pm

I too love the good old split-screen.

I feel quite passionate about this idea. I've always enjoyed co-op games and it doesn't seem like that much of an intrusive idea considering we're not introducing any more protagonists. If you're going to use a split-up feature -- why not make it multiplayer? Makes sense to me from a sales point of view to claim it's a multiplayer game.

One thing I disliked in Tooie was trying to run all the way back to each other just to rejoin. If one of the protagonists were a bird, there could be an option to fly back instantly to rejoin. That would make this even better, I think!
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Taylor wrote:I too love the good old split-screen.

I feel quite passionate about this idea. I've always enjoyed co-op games and it doesn't seem like that much of an intrusive idea considering we're not introducing any more protagonists. If you're going to use a split-up feature -- why not make it multiplayer? Makes sense to me from a sales point of view to claim it's a multiplayer game.

One thing I disliked in Tooie was trying to run all the way back to each other just to rejoin. If one of the protagonists were a bird, there could be an option to fly back instantly to rejoin. That would make this even better, I think!

That's actually quite similar to the HL Co-Op, you could either tackle the mode with a friend, or if you were a loner you could swap between the two characters to solve the environmental puzzles

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:04 pm

isn't a hat in time doing multiplayer? maybe they can do something like that altho i'd prefer an online option as well seeing as i have no one to play with in IRL but have people i could play with online (my one huge major problem with wiiu is no party chat & easy online play with friends most people i know wouldn't buy the system because of those 2 reasons alone even tho they really like & want to play nintendo games) altho don't get me wrong offline co-op is amazing when you do have people over & add value when the online services go offline (like soon dead rising 2 will be a single player only game in a few years :/ )

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm not too familiar with the games mentioned in comparison, but as a standalone idea I don't see any flaws with this. There're lots of interesting gameplay opportunities to gain, but nothing to lose, as far as I can tell. Especially if you make splitting and rejoining quick and easy like I described in my last post.

I'd suggest removing split-up pads altogether and having it as a permanent feature. It would increase the number of possible moves by three. :D
Taylonic Ltd.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm all for a co-op mode being in the game! If said mode did involve the ability to separate the characters, it could add a different level of challenge - what with each character only being capable of their own moves during the period of separation, not having access to the ones they could do when teamed with their partner.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:54 pm

NiloStudo wrote:I'm all for a co-op mode being in the game! If said mode did involve the ability to separate the characters, it could add a different level of challenge - what with each character only being capable of their own moves during the period of separation, not having access to the ones they could do when teamed with their partner.

Just as long as it is possible to do this with one player too I'll be happy :)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Lupo wrote:
NiloStudo wrote:I'm all for a co-op mode being in the game! If said mode did involve the ability to separate the characters, it could add a different level of challenge - what with each character only being capable of their own moves during the period of separation, not having access to the ones they could do when teamed with their partner.

I think it's really important to make the split-up smooth and fun for a single player too. It shouldn't be laborious and time-consuming; it shouldn't take more than a single button push to split, switch characters and rejoin again. No delay.

The split feature in itself really opens the doors for some cool move opportunities, whether multiplayer or not. I just feel the co-op feature is too good to leave out!
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Taylor wrote:
Lupo wrote:

I think it's really important to make the split-up smooth and fun for a single player too. It shouldn't be laborious and time-consuming; it shouldn't take more than a single button push to split, switch characters and rejoin again. No delay.

The split feature in itself really opens the doors for some cool move opportunities, whether multiplayer or not. I just feel the co-op feature is too good to leave out!

My thoughts exactly, I did like how LBP did multiplayer, though it was very annoying that there were sections which were multiplayer only... some we 4x only :(

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am

its not quite that simple, while code wise, it is fairly easy to add coop, its very hard to design a world with the idea that, both 2 players can navigate it together, and a single person can do the same with the same quality of play, an easy way to bypass that is to have a separate campaign for coop ala portal 2, but honestly while i would love to see some coop action, pulling it off well would be a big task, possibly unachievable one. but if its possible, and its good, i would love it, there isnt enough couch gaming left in the world
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:22 am

Valid point. I think if a split-up co-op feature were to be implemented, Playtonic would need to think about it quite early in development (e.g. right now) to make it work great in the long run. Levels would need to be designed with the split-up element in their minds to ensure there're no game-breaking glitches, I guess. Then again, Tooie managed it quite well without trouble (minus to simultaneous co-op feature)...

It would probably be challenging to make it work seamlessly, but thankfully Playtonic aren't new to making great games!
Taylonic Ltd.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:15 pm

The DKC Returns games give the second player the ability to hop on and off DK's back anytime and seems like a pretty neat concept. I never played as the second player, but I believe you could still do some attacks while on DK's back (Diddy's peanut gun), so the second player still has some actions they can do.

And honestly, if Tooie had co-op, and Kazooie could be controlled by a second player, it would only save time. I don't really see how controlling both characters at the same time could break the game.

The next question is, can the players be in separate worlds or do they have to stay in the same world? It would probably require quite a bit of processing power to allow players to be in separate worlds, but I think some interesting puzzles could be created just by having both players in separate worlds.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Savage Rodent wrote:The DKC Returns games give the second player the ability to hop on and off DK's back anytime and seems like a pretty neat concept. I never played as the second player, but I believe you could still do some attacks while on DK's back (Diddy's peanut gun), so the second player still has some actions they can do.

That's true... for some reason I never considered the possibility of the second player controlling their character while combined with the first player. I'm not sure how it would work if the first player uses a move that employs the second character, y'know? It sounds complicated, but definitely fun!
Savage Rodent wrote:The next question is, can the players be in separate worlds or do they have to stay in the same world? It would probably require quite a bit of processing power to allow players to be in separate worlds, but I think some interesting puzzles could be created just by having both players in separate worlds.

Oh for sure -- I can imagine some really fun puzzles. There are so many possibilities here. Maybe the split-up co-op mode could spawn an entire mini-game section of puzzles and such (similar to Portal 2). Who knows.

I think Playtonic should read this thread and have a serious think about whether this is something they'd consider. I'm not DESPERATE for the idea, but I think if they found a way to make it work well, I'd love playing with my brother.
Taylonic Ltd.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 pm

love some of the ideas im reading! :D

TheJHam88

Postby TheJHam88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:43 am

Cooperative multiplayer could be really cool were it implemented properly but I don't think I'd lose any sleep if I found out it was singleplayer only.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 pm

TheJHam88 wrote:Cooperative multiplayer could be really cool were it implemented properly but I don't think I'd lose any sleep if I found out it was singleplayer only.

This is essentially my thoughts. I think it'd be great, especially since they expressed a desire to get the whole family watching the TV while somebody plays (why not allow someone else to join in), but I also thought the Banjo games were great and they had no co-op main game.
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:15 am

I have to say that I don't really like the idea.

First of all, if the coop element is in the same levels as the singleplayer games (unlike Portal 2) I would not play it in coop. I want to experience the game myself, and not let someone else have half of the fun in my stead.

So if there was this split-up element, I'd have to play it myself. And I would probably hate it. How would this work? You'd have to switch from one character to the other every now and then? I think that's a horrible idea unless it's used just for a specific part of a specific level, like a kind of mini-game or mini-level, then I wouldn't mind for a small change of gameplay. But I don't think I'd enjoy anything more than that, a mini-level build around the idea.

But then again, it's Playtonic we're talking about, they could probably find a way to make it fun anyway.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”