World Theming

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Lupo

World Theming

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Ahoy,

I suppose it goes without saying that the worlds of a game make a big part of it, it they are boring, chances are the game will be boring too, I suppose that is why we loves themes so much. One thing I loved about the Rare 3D Platforming Trio( BK, BT and DK64) was how unique the levels were. Sure they had some generic levels to start with, but then they hit some new ground. Like who would've come up with a ship in polluted water, a forest where the theme changes, a gritty corporation, a land above the clouds and more. They are just so unique and interesting. Which brings me to the topic at hand. What ideas do you have for different worlds? What theming would you include if it were your game?

Personally, I would love a gritty rainforest type level. Maybe not gritty, but not bright and vibrant, think Fungi Forest at night or A Walk in the Park (here's A Walk in the Park for those who do not know, please excuse poor commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9fHmmI-co4 )

I also want to see a return of dynamic worlds which constantly change, similar to Click Clock Wood and Fungi Forest (more night/day cycles haha)

What would you want?
Leon
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Re: World Theming

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:57 pm

I remember reading an old Rare interview that claimed the levels in Kazooie were first picked from a generic theme, such as 'Christmas/Snow', and then filled with every generic thing you can imagine (Christmas tree, snowman, igloo etc.) until finally being injected with the oddball humour. Not sure if this is the same approach Playtonic will take, but if it's worked before, it should work again!

I think a night-time level as you suggest would be pretty cool. I remember being pleasantly surprised to see a dark sky at the end of Kazooie -- there were no levels set at night, so it added some nice variation.

I like magical-type levels. Click Clock Wood/Cloud Cuckooland were amazing last levels in the Banjo games -- I hope something equally as magical appears at the end of Ukulele.
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:01 pm

Taylor wrote:I remember reading an old Rare interview that claimed the levels in Kazooie were first picked from a generic theme, such as 'Christmas/Snow', and then filled with every generic thing you can imagine (Christmas tree, snowman, igloo etc.) until finally being injected with the oddball humour. Not sure if this is the same approach Playtonic will take, but if it's worked before, it should work again!

I think a night-time level as you suggest would be pretty cool. I remember being pleasantly surprised to see a dark sky at the end of Kazooie -- there were no levels set at night, so it added some nice variation.

I like magical-type levels. Click Clock Wood/Cloud Cuckooland were amazing last levels in the Banjo games -- I hope something equally as magical appears at the end of Ukulele.

That's interesting... it's the opposite of what I was thinking haha

And I love night time levels too, especially when it has a mostly peaceful tone to it, that's why I like the levels in Ty the Tasmanian Tiger so much.

I too love Click Clock and Cuckooland :3
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Variety! That's what we need!

Take a template.
Village.
Add some flavour.
Graveyard.
And then add some finishing touches.
High pitches.

The Japanese playtesters will love the worlds!
My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:14 pm

How about a world in which the characters are as big as a mice and travel trough a giant bathroom with a giant bathtub which have pipes which are connectet with a sink, a washing machine and a toilet and the player must dive and travel through those pipes (like in clankers cavern) to reach those other areas ... and the world is inhabitet by rubber ducks and soap with google eyes.I could imagine a world like this could a spiritual successor to clankers cavern. It would have some water diving parts but mostly platforming parts that required some skills (click clock wood like). If this idea could be made by the playtonic team I could imagine it would really fit in a banjo kazzoie spiritual successor and would be also an very creative and unique world. The worlds name could be like "Bathtub Pipe Maze" which sounds really like a bk world. The bathtub could be like public swimming pool for the rubber ducks which are getting in trouble with the soap guys because they are getting burning eyes through the soup and the ukulele main characters need to do tasks for both of them or maybe the soap guys could be the baddys in this world.
Last edited by Alucard on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Alucard wrote:How about a world in which the characters are as big as a mice and travel trough a giant bathroom with a giant bathtub which have pipes which are connectet with a sink, a washing machine and a toilet and the player must dive and travel through those pipes (like in clankers cavern) to reach those other areas ... and the world is inhabitet by rubber ducks and soap with google eyes.I could imagine a world like this could a spiritual successor to clankers cavern. It would have some water diving parts but mostly platforming parts that required some skills (click clock wood like). If this idea could be made by the playtonic team I could imagine it would really fit in a banjo kazzoie spiritual successor and would be also an very creative and unique world. The worlds name could be like "Bathtub Pipe Maze" which sounds really like a bk world.

That sounds hilarious and awesome... two of the main features I think every Rare/Playtonic game should have hehe

Trixcalechat

Postby Trixcalechat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:16 pm

A world based on an amusement park would be awesome !
#UkuleleForWiiU

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:17 pm

LEVEL ORDER
1. Forest Path Way
2. Water Ocean Sea
3. Scary Death Mountain Cave
4. Cold Ice Land
5. Bathtub Pipe Maze
6. Final Lava World

And then you fight the final boss, Big Bad Villain!
My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 pm

A world which is a construction site with a tall skyscraper framework made of red steel beams and the player must climb up to the top and on top is an angry ape which throws crates on the player to keep him away to reach the top and get a pagie. Also a spiritual reference to the first Donkey Kong game. And I really loved the worlds where the player needs to climb up on top of the world like in clock clock wood, terydactyland or grunty industrys.

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Alucard wrote:A world which is a construction site with a tall skyscraper framework made of red steel beams and the player must climb up to the top and on top is an angry ape which throws crates on the player to keep him away to reach the top and get a pagie. Also a spiritual reference to the first Donkey Kong game. And I really loved the worlds where the player needs to climb up on top of the world like in clock clock wood, terydactyland or grunty industrys.

That'll be a bonus level called The Kong's Revenge on a red skyscraper

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:26 pm

I mentioned in another thread if they had a world that was an homage to 3D platforming's roots. It would be cool if there was a world made of 64 bit graphics. Even better is if the two look like they were n64 characters for the duration of being in that world.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Lazicful wrote:
Alucard wrote:A world which is a construction site with a tall skyscraper framework made of red steel beams and the player must climb up to the top and on top is an angry ape which throws crates on the player to keep him away to reach the top and get a pagie. Also a spiritual reference to the first Donkey Kong game. And I really loved the worlds where the player needs to climb up on top of the world like in clock clock wood, terydactyland or grunty industrys.

That'll be a bonus level called The Kong's Revenge on a red skyscraper

This idea occured to me when I was remembering playing Toy Story 2 on the n64 there was a construction site level which I really enjoyed becaus it was kinda like challenging but fun and I just put some rare magic in to it so this idea originated :D

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Gosh, I loved Hailfire Peaks in BT. And I'm not saying a level exactly like it, but levels that maybe have opposite themes meshed together really interests me.

I trust the developers a lot and I'd be cool with anything they make. Level ideas aren't my strong point.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 am

Freezezy Peak was just absolutely great. The color selection for the stage is what really made it the best. All the levels were outstanding except Clanker's Cavern never really liked that level. But Click Clock Wood was really awesome. And some of these beta locations like Giant's Lair look really good and I wish they were implemented into the game. What I hope for this game is that it has not 10 levels. They really need to have more levels like 20. Fungus Forest looked interesting.

Now as for Banjo Tooie. Love Jolly Roger's Lagoon's theme, but not its water gameplay that's what really screwed the level for me. Grunty's Industries was awesome. Cloud Cuckoland was kinda Meh. It was kinda like Click Clock Wood's but that level really needs some organizing. Isle O' Hags was an awesome overworld itself I prefer it over Gruntilda's Lair, but Gruntilda's Lair is still good in its own right.

To me the best thing about these worlds is the colors they use. I just love the mix of white and bright red in Freezezy Peak and the nice mix they use for their Bubblegloop Swamp.

It's the colors and they bright variations to mix with themes is what truly made it good and appealing.

EDIT: Forgot about Grunty's Revenge. I liked Spiller's Harbor the most, but it seems they kinda overused textures in that game.

CGB Spender

Postby CGB Spender » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 am

I think a snow environment in a snow globe would be cool. The first few objectives could be water based, where you are swimming through this glittery water in an underwater snow environment. The NPCs could all be fish and underwater wildlife, which you get to know through your adventures down there. Then, eventually you have to drain it to progress and let the NPCs stranded on the ice at the top return to their homes at the bottom. Considering they'd be polar bears and penguins and whatnot, they would eat all the fish you got to know once they got to the bottom. Then the snow environment would be a bit more typical and without swimming.

The snowglobe would act as a natural boundary for the world, and you could probably do cool things with the distorted view of the room the snow globe is in when viewed from inside the glass.

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 am

Lupo wrote:
Alucard wrote:How about a world in which the characters are as big as a mice and travel trough a giant bathroom with a giant bathtub which have pipes which are connectet with a sink, a washing machine and a toilet and the player must dive and travel through those pipes (like in clankers cavern) to reach those other areas ... and the world is inhabitet by rubber ducks and soap with google eyes.I could imagine a world like this could a spiritual successor to clankers cavern. It would have some water diving parts but mostly platforming parts that required some skills (click clock wood like). If this idea could be made by the playtonic team I could imagine it would really fit in a banjo kazzoie spiritual successor and would be also an very creative and unique world. The worlds name could be like "Bathtub Pipe Maze" which sounds really like a bk world.

That sounds hilarious and awesome... two of the main features I think every Rare/Playtonic game should have hehe

Sounds like that level from Army Men Sarge's Heroes

Also I feel like I'd enjoy another underwater level akin to Jolly Rodger's Lagoon. Except this time I feel like they can maximize graphics and colors and make a giant colorful ocean reef world. Jolly Rodger's was kind of dimly lit, but a new bright underwater world would be an improvement in my opinion.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:55 am

I want to some some sort of laboratory level with a crazy scientist. POOP will live here.
Taylonic Ltd.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:28 am

John wrote:
Lupo wrote:

Sounds like that level from Army Men Sarge's Heroes

Also I feel like I'd enjoy another underwater level akin to Jolly Rodger's Lagoon. Except this time I feel like they can maximize graphics and colors and make a giant colorful ocean reef world. Jolly Rodger's was kind of dimly lit, but a new bright underwater world would be an improvement in my opinion.

I just watched some screenshots from the bathroom level in army men sarges heroes and yeah kinda like that stuff ... but can you imagine a world like this with the charm and art/style from rare/playtonic ? rubber ducks with google eyes and how cool would be the puzzles ? raise and sink the water level in the bathtub to reach secret locations and all that stuff. This imagination reminds me a little bit on to the water temple from the legend of zelda ocarina of time which is the hardest and most challenging temple in the game but in my opinion the most creative and stunningly water level in gaming history (visually and in the way of the puzzle design).

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 am

I love horror themed levels, so I would like one to be in Project Ukulele, since it's only fitting that it would be in the game just like the good old Rareware games. As for an idea how it would look. Well, I would propose a giant graveyard with a huge cathedral set in the middle of it.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 am

Xellos wrote:I love horror themed levels, so would like one to be in Project Ukulele, since it's only fitting that it would be in the game just like the good old Rareware games. As for an idea how it would look. Well, I would propose a giant graveyard with a huge cathedral set in the middle of it.

I think its too standard ... If you look at "Mad Monster Mansion" from Banjo-Kazooie it allready has all those things (graveyard, cathedral/church). It would be booring and stupid to make a similar world like before. Im not against spooky themed worlds but they should be more creative. Can you imagine a Louisiana themed town set in a swampy jungle with voodoo themed things ? This would be a more creative spooky world, and if Project Ukulele would have transformations then it would be a voodoo doll or something like that.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”