Instrumental music

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EarthBound

Instrumental music

Postby EarthBound » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:56 pm

I think this is a must. Just see some results:

https://youtu.be/5THD0o3X-8I

I'm really hyped, because master David Wise is back again here, so an instrumental soundtrack would be extremely dangerous for my penis.

HarmfulSpacenaut

Re: Instrumental music

Postby HarmfulSpacenaut » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:00 am

Now that was pretty awesome haha!

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 am

EarthBound wrote:I think this is a must. Just see some results:
https://youtu.be/5THD0o3X-8I

nice link, thanks for sharing.
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 am

That's pretty nice, and reminds me of the Symphony version too. I think a combo of the two would be pretty nice, but that's just me :lol:

http://banjosymphony.com/
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 am

Do you mean a 'live' orchestral soundtrack, instead of electronic music?

I could enjoy either. The orchestra would give the game a grand atmosphere, but the old-fashioned samples can sound just as good and give an added nostalgia boost. It'd be cool to have both. I presume the musicians will first have to make the themes electronically anyway... Kickstarter goal, maybe?

Using a full orchestra to record a soundtrack costs a lot of money mind you.
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:08 am

As far as I am concerned, orchestral all the way!

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 am

Taylor wrote:Do you mean a 'live' orchestral soundtrack, instead of electronic music?

I could enjoy either. The orchestra would give the game a grand atmosphere, but the old-fashioned samples can sound just as good and give an added nostalgia boost. It'd be cool to have both. I presume the musicians will first have to make the themes electronically anyway... Kickstarter goal, maybe?

Using a full orchestra to record a soundtrack costs a lot of money mind you.

I understand what you say, so let's state they do what they can depending on the budget they take in May. Maybe the best answer is using both: some levels with instrumental sound, some others with nostalgia samples.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:35 am

EarthBound wrote:I understand what you say, so let's state they do what they can depending on the budget they take in May. Maybe the best answer is using both: some levels with instrumental sound, some others with nostalgia samples.

I was thinking more along the lines of the entire soundtrack being composed of two versions: an orchestral and electronic version (maybe varying slightly on the arrangement to make them truly stand apart).

Perhaps you could unlock the orchestral/electronic versions for every level by collecting a special item, like a Music Pagie, or by completing special challenges in-game. It'd be quite a fun reward to be given the option to change every level's soundtrack into an interesting variant (either orchestral, or electronic).

Perhaps the unlockable electronic version could be an 8-bit/nostalgic/other special genre arrangement. It'd probably be cheaper to produce, but still awesome to listen to. I should patent this idea -- think I'm onto a winner! :lol:
Taylonic Ltd.

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 am

Taylor wrote:
EarthBound wrote:I understand what you say, so let's state they do what they can depending on the budget they take in May. Maybe the best answer is using both: some levels with instrumental sound, some others with nostalgia samples.

I was thinking more along the lines of the entire soundtrack being composed of two versions: an orchestral and electronic version (maybe varying slightly on the arrangement to make them truly stand apart).

Perhaps you could unlock the orchestral/electronic versions for every level by collecting a special item, like a Music Pagie, or by completing special challenges in-game. It'd be quite a fun reward to be given the option to change every level's soundtrack into an interesting variant (either orchestral, or electronic).

Perhaps the unlockable electronic version could be an 8-bit/nostalgic/other special genre arrangement. It'd probably be cheaper to produce, but still awesome to listen. I should patent this idea -- think I'm onto a winner! :lol:

i would love if that was possible, theres nothing better then orchestral OSTs, but having them unlockable in game, that sounds amazing
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

iggy

Postby iggy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Taylor wrote:

Perhaps the unlockable electronic version could be an 8-bit/nostalgic/other special genre arrangement. It'd probably be cheaper to produce, but still awesome to listen to. I should patent this idea -- think I'm onto a winner! :lol:

Additional soundtrack arrangements (particularly live orchestral versions as in Nuts & Bolts' soundtrack) are a great idea and with the extra costs of hiring a live orchestra would work well as Kickstarter stretch goals. :D
Last edited by iggy on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HarmfulSpacenaut

Postby HarmfulSpacenaut » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:57 pm

I think it depends how successful the kickstarter will be. An orchestra isn't really the cheapest thing!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:02 pm

HarmfulSpacenaut wrote:I think it depends how successful the kickstarter will be. An orchestra isn't really the cheapest thing!

This. But the Kickstarter stretch goal could be something along the lines of "For every £5,000, one track will be orchestrated".

If an orchestra is out of the question, I'm still quite fond of my special variation idea and anything with Grant Kirkhope's/David Wise's/Steve Burke's name on it is bound to draw in interest. Playtonic have three composers -- I think it'd be wise to get as much music as possible in Ukulele.
Taylonic Ltd.

iggy

Postby iggy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Well, if a full live orchestra ends up being too expensive another option would be to use a digital/synthetic orchestra like Blake Robinson's Synthetic Orchestra who created the Banjo-Kazooie Symphony that Nightpaws linked earlier.

Alliusis

Postby Alliusis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:35 pm

I definitely prefer the sharpness and feel of electronic music for in-game, but having a bonus couple of orchestral tracks, maybe packaged with the KS, would be sweet.

Fuzunga

Postby Fuzunga » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:09 pm

I don't really understand what you guys mean by "orchestra" vs "electronic". Do you guys mean live instrumentation vs samples? Plenty of games these use high quality samples without hiring an entire symphony and you probably can't even tell the difference. Example.

That was made by one guy. It sounds great right? But if the music for this is like Banjo-Kazooie, it won't be nearly that involved. Live instrumentation should be easy. They'd probably only need a few people.... or one multitalented guy. I'd love to see a collaboration with this gentleman. He's done some incredible covers of David Wise, Grant Kirkhope and many others, all by himself.

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:45 pm

I hope for Banjo style music but modernized and orchestrated. Kinda like the Rayman Origins or Legends, Christophe Héral did the most amazing job on those games.

I don't doubt that the musics will be great, however they do it. The execution matters, but given the staff it's more than enough to guarantee a top notch quality soundtrack.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:21 pm

I've been using orchestra to mean live instruments as per the original thread.

I think the music options are either Banjo style samples or orchestral samples/live orchestra. And if they wanted to use my music unlockable suggestion I mentioned, any samples arranged in a special genre (e.g. 8-bit).
Taylonic Ltd.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm

No need to hire an expensive orchestra as modern orchestral samples sound nearly as good.

That said, this kind of game needs a "small" orchestra with a dry sound.

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 am

I don't think the whole game would need an orchestral/live instrumental soundtrack, but having select tracks in the game for important scenes or such be orchestral/live instrumental would be pretty awesome.

I certainly wouldn't mind having a full orchestral/live instrumental version of the game's soundtrack as part of the OST though, as part of a possible stretch goal, should they offer the OST as a backer reward.

Zita

Postby Zita » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:30 am

Taylor wrote:If an orchestra is out of the question, I'm still quite fond of my special variation idea and anything with Grant Kirkhope's/David Wise's/Steve Burke's name on it is bound to draw in interest. Playtonic have three composers -- I think it'd be wise to get as much music as possible in Ukulele.

I see what you did there.
Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”