Should this game involve flight?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Alph

Should this game involve flight?

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 am

One of the coolest parts of Banjo-Kazooie was finding a flight pad and flying around freely (I always loved the controls for flying in Banjo-Kazooie so much more than how it worked in Mario 64, maybe because of the flapping). Do you think that will return in Ukulele? Do you want it do?

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Re: Should this game involve flight?

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:36 am

Honestly I kinda found it a little tedious and a bit annoying as it kinda ruined the platforming experience. I really loved the platforming parts of Banjo Kazooie and some levels like Rusty Bucket Bay were just absolutely fun to play especially that inside of the ships part of the level. It kinda took away when you could just fly all the way up to click clock woods instead of actually getting on top of it.

But that's just my opinion.

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 am

That's true, flight should definitely be very limited if it's included. I think it makes for some very fun "dicking around", but I guess it does kinda trivialize the platforming segments in any place it's available.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:50 am

I loved the flight aspect. I'm sort of okay with it not being in, but I'd love if it was still part of the game.
Make the forum great again.

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:57 am

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarmfulSpacenaut

Postby HarmfulSpacenaut » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:02 am

I liked the flying, and I think they improved it a lot in tooie over kazooie with the first person mode/option. I would love to see more of it! I would however not be upset if there was no flying like that.

DeviWhite

Postby DeviWhite » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:15 am

I greatly anticipated flying in Banjo Kazooie games, but that's because I was playing with a bird character! It seemed like a natural progression. I don't think I'd like it nearly as much if you slapped a jet pack into a different animal character to give them flight. I'm more excited to see how they use the natural abilities of what animals they choose and how that will effect mobility in the game!

qwertyo76

Postby qwertyo76 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 am

Holding R makes you turn much more precisely when underwater and in the air. It makes everything so much better in fact, that if Rare had actually told you about it in-game, not a single person would have ever complained about wonky swimming or flying controls. Not. A single. One.

The point here is that both of these sections can be very awesome in their own right.
"Tiny creatures far below, which of you'll be first to go?"

HarmfulSpacenaut

Postby HarmfulSpacenaut » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 am

qwertyo76 wrote:Holding R makes you turn much more precisely when underwater and in the air. It makes everything so much better in fact, that if Rare had actually told you about it in-game, not a single person would have ever complained about wonky swimming or flying controls. Not. A single. One.

The point here is that both of these sections can be very awesome in their own right.

Wait what? :|

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:15 am

Shoegayzer wrote:I feel that a chameleon adds much more depth to gameplay than a bear would, but a bird would be very hard to replace. So I'm really hoping on chameleon and bird. Or other animal that can fly.

I kind of like the idea of the partner being an insect, since lizards eat insects and it would make for an unexpected friendship. Also most insects can fly, so that would take care of that aspect.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:20 am

HarmfulSpacenaut wrote:
qwertyo76 wrote:Holding R makes you turn much more precisely when underwater and in the air. It makes everything so much better in fact, that if Rare had actually told you about it in-game, not a single person would have ever complained about wonky swimming or flying controls. Not. A single. One.

Wait what? :|

Yeah, what? It does? Damn, I shall have to try that. Yet another thing I managed to never know all these years!

On Rusty Bucket Bay, oh my God that world is so frustrating for me! I was playing Banjo Kazooie earlier yesterday, and I'm currently in Rusty Bucket Bay. My damn N64 controllers can no longer handle it and I keep falling to my death because Banjo can't walk in a straight line.

I liked flying around in BK, which is odd because I don't really like swimming, even though they're basically the same thing. If we have another bird character I would be happy to fly around again.

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:35 am

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyProtagonist

Postby AndyProtagonist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:59 am

Flying in the Banjo series was awesome, so yeah, bring that back! :D
Andy Protagonist

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:51 am

DeviWhite wrote:I greatly anticipated flying in Banjo Kazooie games, but that's because I was playing with a bird character! It seemed like a natural progression

i agree, i think flying was really fun in bk but it just might not have room in uk, if they do find a good way to make it fit i would be glad to see it though
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 am

Flight these days with the likes of the DualShock 4, the Wii U Gamepad, and the Xbox Controller is a much more enjoyable feat than it was back in the day of single analogue.

Features like the flight pad with greater control of yourself and the camera would probably be much more enjoyable, and less frustrating than it was back in the day of fiddly cameras!
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:57 am

We'll have to see what the characters look like. Although unlikely from what I've seen, the second protagonist might not even be a bird.

Though I think flight brings a good dynamic to platformers. I'd probably like to see it in the game in the same style as the Banjo games; free flight, as mentioned before, can cause players to essentially cheat their way past platforming obstacles.
Taylonic Ltd.

MushroomMoon

Postby MushroomMoon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Alph wrote:I think it makes for some very fun "dicking around"

Some of my fondest memories involved flying around as just Kazooie in Hailfire Peaks and Cloud Cuckooland!
I hope they bring this back in some way.
I'm watching you

DanBevis

Postby DanBevis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Without a doubt, yes! [How else will we be getting up to those floating isles in the concept world screenshots, for one?]

Blarg23

Postby Blarg23 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:17 pm

For me, flying was the icing on the cake for while playing. So naturally, I'd love to see them bring it back in some way. :D
With love,
Some random animator

Tiptup

Postby Tiptup » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:31 pm

I loved the flying in Banjo-Kazooie, and I would love if there were flying in Project Ukulele.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”