Type of Humour

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Valensha
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am

Type of Humour

Postby Valensha » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 am

Heyo,

I wanted to ask, will Ukelele have childish (maybe subtle adult) humour ala Banjo, or more full on adult such as CBFD?

Personally I like both so I'm not fussed, just curious :p

User avatar
Prof__Yogert
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:50 am

we arnt 100% sure what type of humour jsut yet, but we do know, from the developers mouth, that it will "lean towards banjo kazooie humou"
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

User avatar
AJC0MICS
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Type of Humour

Postby AJC0MICS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 am

It will probably have British humor! :D

The whole game seems to be based on the Banjo games, so I guess it will have Banjo humor.
Last edited by AJC0MICS on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xellos
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Now that's a secret!
Contact:

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Xellos » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:54 am

Valensha wrote:Heyo,

I wanted to ask, will Ukelele have childish (maybe subtle adult) humour ala Banjo, or more full on adult such as CBFD?

Personally I like both so I'm not fussed, just curious :p


Banjo's subtle humor with sexual innuendos of course.

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 am

Xellos wrote:Banjo's subtle humor with sexual innuendos of course.


This.

Someone asked the exact same age-rating question at Rezzed. Playtonic said it won't be as brash as Conker; expect something on par with the Banjo series.
Taylonic Ltd.

Viellain
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:15 pm
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 pm

I'd love to see some dry humor type stuff that only some people who are a bit educated would know. That stuff always cracks me up much more than some silly googley eyes fart joke. Not that that is bad or anything.

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Viellain wrote:I'd love to see some dry humor type stuff that only some people who are a bit educated would know. That stuff always cracks me up much more than some silly googley eyes fart joke. Not that that is bad or anything.


Are you suggesting that the Playtonic team have a history of filling their games with tons of low-brow slapstick humour and inappropriate gags? :o

I feel the jokes are very high-brow, actually. Well, the melons at the end of Kazooie certainly raised my eyebrows as a kid...
Taylonic Ltd.

Viellain
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:15 pm
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Taylor wrote:
Viellain wrote:I'd love to see some dry humor type stuff that only some people who are a bit educated would know. That stuff always cracks me up much more than some silly googley eyes fart joke. Not that that is bad or anything.


Are you suggesting that the Playtonic team have a history of filling their games with tons of low-brow slapstick humour and inappropriate gags? :o

I feel the jokes are very high-brow, actually. Well, the melons at the end of Kazooie certainly raised my eyebrows as a kid...

Ehh rare kinda does. I liked Nuts and Bolts humor in the game and especially their type of humor in the credits. But I just prefer really thought-out jokes that take a lot of talent to make and work.

User avatar
Alph
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I liked how Rare's humor on the N64 escalated to be more dry and more adult-themed as time went on. First you had Diddy Kong Racing, which was purely innocent, childish humor. Then you had Banjo-Kazooie, which added some irony and satire to the mix. Then you had Donkey Kong 64 which added some sexual innuendo in with the satire. Then you had Tooie with it's more overt sexual innuendo and surprisingly dark humor. And then of course you had Bad Fur Day, which I need not explain.



Since this is a Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor, I'd expect its humor to be on level with Banjo-Kazooie. But I wouldn't mind if they started out with more innocent humor than that and escalated it in future games. There's something amusing about the idea of taking a bunch of innocent, happy cartoon animal characters and running them through the ringer until you end up with a hungover potty-mouthed squirrel.

doppnett
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Type of Humour

Postby doppnett » Sat May 02, 2015 3:05 pm

It has to be a family type game. so the humor can't be shouln't be a like Conker however, i still think toilet humor is a good idea. Humor can also be satirical, making fun of existing games and game styles. Humor doesn't have to be comical, it can be serious making fun of how games are today with all the violence,and annuals....even Infamous series makes fun of these(or takes it seriously).

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Type of Humour

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat May 02, 2015 3:07 pm

I loved the humor in Tooie. Much better than in Kazooie, in my opinion. That's because of its dark nature and that forth-wall-breaking!


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests