Other potential genres

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Kippran

Other potential genres

Postby Kippran » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Playtonic mentioned during their presentation that they are planning on creating other characters to star in games based on other genres. We know that they have a great handle on platforming already, so what kinds of other genres would you like to see them try their hands in?

Captain Paul

Re: Other potential genres

Postby Captain Paul » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Another kart racer with hub world like Diddy Kong Racing. That game requires a spiritual successor almost as much as BK imo

Cube

Postby Cube » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:50 pm

A 3rd person sci-fi shooter. While there are lots of these, they are usually serious and boring. We need one with a great style and lots of fun. And a cheat code to turn all the enemies into a badly-drawn man wearing pants. The characters would be two humans and a cat.

Kippran

Postby Kippran » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Cube wrote:A 3rd person sci-fi shooter. While there are lots of these, they are usually serious and boring. We need one with a great style and lots of fun. And a cheat code to turn all the enemies into a badly-drawn man wearing pants. The characters would be two humans and a cat.

I like this idea. Ratchet and Clank immediately comes to mind. Rare's own take on those games would be immensely fun to see.

VX967

Postby VX967 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Captain Paul wrote:Another kart racer with hub world like Diddy Kong Racing. That game requires a spiritual successor almost as much as BK imo

Yes.

This.

1000% this.

TheAnvil

Postby TheAnvil » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Eventually I'd like some classic 2D platformers and a racing game with all their characters in the vein of DKR.
Project Ukelele for Wii U. @MLFoxwell

Jazz

Postby Jazz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:17 pm

A dating-sim of course.

tatsu_dez112

Postby tatsu_dez112 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:18 pm

It will be very interesting to see what other genres Playtonic Games have planned.

I could definitely see a kart-esque racer game work very well. But I'd very interested to see if they can do other genres like shooting games such as Perfect Dark or fighting games such as Killer Instinct.

Cranky Kong

Postby Cranky Kong » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:20 pm

As Project Ukelele is aimed as a spiritual sucessor to Banjo-Kazooie, it makes me wonder how Playtonic would design a spiritual sucessor to the Donkey Kong Country-Games. I know that the Retro Studios DKC-Games are wonderful sequels, but I'd be thrilled to see a new 2D-Jump'n'Run with that...British touch ;)

Captain Paul

Postby Captain Paul » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:21 pm

tatsu_dez112 wrote:It will be very interesting to see what other genres Playtonic Games have planned.

I could definitely see a kart-esque racer game work very well. But I'd very interested to see if they can do other genres like shooting games such as Perfect Dark or fighting games such as Killer Instinct.

Well they did have that shooting segment in banjo tooie maybe they'll do something similar :p

Cube

Postby Cube » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Kippran wrote:I like this idea. Ratchet and Clank immediately comes to mind. Rare's own take on those games would be immensely fun to see.

Rare's take already exists: Jet Force Gemini. It was amazing (well, the controls were annoying).

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Captain Paul wrote:Another kart racer with hub world like Diddy Kong Racing. That game requires a spiritual successor almost as much as BK imo

Absolutely! Diddy Kong Racing is still my favourite kart racer ever! Mario Kart 8 is great, one of the most beautiful game on the Wii U, and fun, but it's just a racing game... When you played every track a couple of time, if you don't like playing online, you don't go and play it again very often. With a kart racer like DKR, with a story and and an adventure, it's so much more interesting and the replay value is much higher!

thisgoodgood

Postby thisgoodgood » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:28 pm

As for the racing, I think it'd be cool to go in a more original direction. Get rid of the karts and just have them race on foot. Each character could use their own abilities or some special item that's unique to them in place of the weapons from item blocks. I came up with this idea a while back but have no way to implement it myself. I think Playtonic could take the idea and make it work, especially since they want to have a big cast of unique characters and they're more than capable of pulling off something like this.

Captain Paul

Postby Captain Paul » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Lufkin wrote:

Absolutely! Diddy Kong Racing is still my favourite kart racer ever! Mario Kart 8 is great, one of the most beautiful game on the Wii U, and fun, but it's just a racing game... When you played every track a couple of time, if you don't like playing online, you don't go and play it again very often. With a kart racer like DKR, with a story and and an adventure, it's so much more interesting and the replay value is much higher!

I just want more silver coin challenges! They were so much fun.

Loggo

Postby Loggo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Kart racer and 2D platformer, please.

BanjoConker

Postby BanjoConker » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Give me a spaghetti western, sandbox rpg game with the flare of banjo...sort of like Rango i guess

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Since they talked about the possibility of competitive multiplayer games... A kind of light hearted FPS? A Fighting game? A Mario Party style collection of mini games? The possibilities are endless! I mean, look at how varied the multiplayer games in Conker were, this is the world of possibilities that we have in front of us! :shock:

BanjoConker

Postby BanjoConker » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:16 pm

just to toss it up there playtonic you don't have to make your characters ultra cute give us something we never played as before it can be a ugly crocodile like the picture above..something not so picture perfect would be great and unique.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:23 pm

I agree with the kart racer. Playtonic have shown great interest in making an interconnected universe that shares characters across games; no genre does that better than a select-your-character racer. Another possibility is a Smash Bros. type fighter...

And of course, I'd like to see the classic Rare-styled shooter and 2D platformer make a return at some point.
Taylonic Ltd.

tatsu_dez112

Postby tatsu_dez112 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:02 pm

As long as they can bring back the magic Rare had in the past within any form of genre, then I'll be happy.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”