In-game level editor

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
GruntMaster

In-game level editor

Postby GruntMaster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:14 pm

I know this idea somewhat overlaps modding, but it is potentially a different category. When I was a kid playing BK, BT, and DK64, I wondered, wouldn't it be cool if I could make my own levels, in game? What I suggest is a simple in game level editor, specific to the game and its mechanics. That way someone wouldn't have to learn something like Unity to mod a world into the game. A good example of what I mean is with Portal 2's puzzle creator, where people can learn it and it is fairly simple and specific to the game, and people can share their worlds on Steam workshop. Before, you had to use the Source engine and, like I said, mod your worlds directly into the game. With a simplified and integrated level editor, customization and creativity would be open to a larger audience, including kids. People could potentially make their own assets and import it into the editor too.

dotEXE

Re: In-game level editor

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Waste of time and resources.
Make the forum great again.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:27 pm

The devs should just focus on the core game for now. Perhaps in a future game somthing like this will happen, but not right now.
The boss of all Yoshis

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:30 pm

I have to agree with the two people that posted above myself... I really would rather have the developers focus on making an awesome game... perhaps sometime in the future after Project Ukulele takes off and becomes a monster hit (gee... are my hopes kind of high for this project? :lol: ).

GruntMaster

Postby GruntMaster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Yeah, I was also thinking myself it would be part of an update / DLC in the long term, like Portal's puzzle maker was. I have to agree that the main game should be the priority. Perhaps it would be a good use of left over resources, not necessarily the highest priority.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 pm

A level editor could take a while to make, but we could still get user-created levels if they opened up the API and let us import mods.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 am

An in-game level editor is unnecessary. It's not really something well suited to a 3D platformer IMO. If mods do come out, great, let the mods come out. But leave it as needing a developer tool to do that.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I think a level editor is a fantastic idea but it should be secondary to completing the main game. They're probably 100 fantastic game is worth the fan ideas out there looking for a platform to come to life. Really good level editors for something that is in the DNA of rare employees. I can't speak for all of them but I know that those who went on the form free radical had a very revolutionary level editor in the Timesplitters games.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”