Publisher, In Case There's A Physical Retail Version Of It

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

Publisher, In Case There's A Physical Retail Version Of It

Postby John Enigma » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 am

Do you think that when Project Ukulele gets a physical retail version of it someday, whom do you want as a trusted publisher for the game?

I was thinking between EA Games, 2K Games, or Eidos.

If anyone asks why I included Eidos, is because of this game called Mini Ninjas.

I don't know. You decide.

Whichever is the cheapest, or the most popular.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

DarkPGR

Re: Publisher, In Case There's A Physical Retail Version Of

Postby DarkPGR » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:50 am

Definitely NOT EA or 2K. Staying away from a publisher like those would probably be best, although I am not sure if Playtonic could afford to self-publish, they might be able to get to an agreement with Nintendo and/or Microsoft.

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:59 am

If it's possible, I would love a physical copy. I've always liked to have physical copies of everything and it would be really nice. I wouldn't necessarily expect a physical copy right away.

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 am

EA would be literally be the worst company ever to do it, example they'd find a way to make the Wii U version worst somehow, or maybe they will find a way somehow to convince Playtonic to cancel the Wii U version, or if there is DLC then the Wii U version wouldn't get it and if it did then it would be downgraded somehow.

A company that would be fair would be...Umm, I don't know.

I'd say Ubisoft but they also do some pretty bad things...

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:07 am

Screw EA, screw Ubisoft.

I'd rather see no physical release than have these scrapheaps mess everything up with restrictions.

If the MS, Ninty, or Sony require the games to be exclusive before publishing for their respective systems, then also scrap the physical release.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:15 am

Okay. I have a question that has been bothering me for quite a while: can indie studios also be a self-publishing company, up to the point where they can make physical retail copies of their game?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:37 am

John Enigma wrote:Okay. I have a question that has been bothering me for quite a while: can indie studios also be a self-publishing company, up to the point where they can make physical retail copies of their game?

They can make retail copies of their games, although it costs a lot of money. And the retail copies would probably be printed in very limited quantities and be available for a very short amount of time.
The boss of all Yoshis

rocho

Postby rocho » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:10 am

NO EA PLEASE! neither Ubisoft.

I would go for NAMCO BANDAI they are publishing PROJECT CARS which started as a Spiritual Succesor in some way to the Need for Speed series and they are aiming for a multiplatform launch day. They even consider WiiU as a next gen console as it should.

They have even helped with Smashbros for WiiU/3DS.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 am

Boshi wrote:
John Enigma wrote:Okay. I have a question that has been bothering me for quite a while: can indie studios also be a self-publishing company, up to the point where they can make physical retail copies of their game?

They can make retail copies of their games, although it costs a lot of money. And the retail copies would probably be printed in very limited quantities and be available for a very short amount of time.

The Dreamcast indie scene is probably the best example we have of this. Their games typically go for $60-100 physically and are only distributed online. I doubt we'll ever see Ukelele on store shelves, but a relatively pricy physical copy you can order online should be well within the realm of possibility.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:08 am

rocho wrote:NO EA PLEASE! neither Ubisoft.

I would go for NAMCO BANDAI they are publishing PROJECT CARS which started as a Spiritual Succesor in some way to the Need for Speed series and they are aiming for a multiplatform launch day. They even consider WiiU as a next gen console as it should.

Yeah, Namco would be good.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:24 am

Meelow wrote:

No better or worse than EA, Activision, or Ubisoft. Publishers put creative restrictions on games to try to meet deadlines faster and appeal to a broader audience. The Namco that developed Smash and the Namco that publishes games have very little outside of ownership to do with eachother.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:53 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
Meelow wrote:

No better or worse than EA, Activision, or Ubisoft. Publishers put creative restrictions on games to try to meet deadlines faster and appeal to a broader audience. The Namco that developed Smash and the Namco that publishes games have very little outside of ownership to do with eachother.

I'd trust Namco more then EA and Ubisoft though.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 am

I don't have any specific experience with the others, but dear sweet maker stay away from EA. I would rather pay double my original plan at the Kickstarter to allow Playtonic to self-publish.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:29 am

Disregarding console makers (I'd prefer Nintendo) and assuming a multiplatform release, I'd think Codemasters would probably be a somewhat natural choice because it's a UK-based publisher and quite a few ex-Codemasters are working for Rare, among them the current boss of Rare, so I'd assume Playtonic people might know some people there, which could help getting things started. Other than that, smaller publishers that publish smaller projects could be good partners. Say NISA, Rising Star, Koch Media...

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Yoshi wrote:Disregarding console makers (I'd prefer Nintendo) and assuming a multiplatform release, I'd think Codemasters would probably be a somewhat natural choice because it's a UK-based publisher and quite a few ex-Codemasters are working for Rare, among them the current boss of Rare, so I'd assume Playtonic people might know some people there, which could help getting things started. Other than that, smaller publishers that publish smaller projects could be good partners. Say NISA, Rising Star, Koch Media...

Koch media? As in the rich old Koch brothers? Please, no. I don't want to see them being supported in anyway from a political standpoint.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:42 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion that any retail version will be a very limited edition - this is a brand new company with limited resources at the moment, let's not forget.

Even if there are physical copies, it'd likely be self-published. Which costs a lot.

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Remember, this could very well be part of the Kickstarter plan. One of the tiers should be

Give X Amount and receive:
-Physical Copy of the game
-Art Book
-Your name in the credits

For example

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 pm

BadElf wrote:Remember, this could very well be part of the Kickstarter plan. One of the tiers should be

Give X Amount and receive:
-Physical Copy of the game
-Art Book
-Your name in the credits

For example

cupcake the name in the credits.

Name in the manual as a donor? Sure. But putting your name in the credits just isn't a good thing. You should actually have a contribution beyond a donation to go into credits - if that is lending a voice, graphics, music, translation, or ideas, it's worthy. But simply funding isn't good enough IMO. (Mainly because I don't want the credits to go from a dozen, maybe two dozen names to hundreds..)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Eh, lots of games have done a huge block of text somewhere in the credits with names of major donors. Usually a smaller font. It's not like you're featured as prominently as Lead Design or anything. I'm fine with it.
Make the forum great again.

rocho

Postby rocho » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:35 am

Meelow wrote:
Rocho wrote:NO EA PLEASE! neither Ubisoft.

I'd trust Namco more then EA and Ubisoft though.[/quote]

I get your point, but again as an example project cars has been delayed 3 times, not because Namco told them to, but because the guys at Slightly Mad Studios are making the game as good as they can, they have full control of the project and that's why I would trust Namco with this Amazing project.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”