Yooka-Laylee: Out Now!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Ciro

Re: Yooka-Laylee: Out Now!

Postby Ciro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:15 pm

dotEXE wrote:I really disagree on the "too open" point. Banjo Kazooie AND Tooie worlds were totally open. You walk in, then you can go anywhere. Sometimes there's light funneling (most levels slapped a door or path right in your vision to "suggest" a path) but they all plopped you in and let you go. I get that EXACT same feeling from Yooka Laylee.

Enter a world, do some mental mapping, make notes of places to go back to, sweep from one end to the other collecting everything.

I think he meant that YL worlds fills less vertical space? In BK, sure, you could go anywhere, but there were some obstacles. In Mumbo's Mountain, you have the... mountain. In Treasure Grove you had these rock walls, Clanker's Cavern was divided into sections, Freezy Peak had a big Snowman in the center of everything plus some walls here and there, Click Clock Wood had a big tree... you know the drill.

My point is that in Kazooie the game kind of force you to go betweeen different pathes. The YL first world felt like a single giant path with stuff spreaded across the map.

But I'm not complaining about this and I just got into the second world, which feels more different.

My major complaint so far is the lack of variety in enemies.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:28 am

Ciro wrote:
dotEXE wrote:I really disagree on the "too open" point. Banjo Kazooie AND Tooie worlds were totally open. You walk in, then you can go anywhere. Sometimes there's light funneling (most levels slapped a door or path right in your vision to "suggest" a path) but they all plopped you in and let you go. I get that EXACT same feeling from Yooka Laylee.

Enter a world, do some mental mapping, make notes of places to go back to, sweep from one end to the other collecting everything.

I think he meant that YL worlds fills less vertical space? In BK, sure, you could go anywhere, but there were some obstacles. In Mumbo's Mountain, you have the... mountain. In Treasure Grove you had these rock walls, Clanker's Cavern was divided into sections, Freezy Peak had a big Snowman in the center of everything plus some walls here and there, Click Clock Wood had a big tree... you know the drill.

My point is that in Kazooie the game kind of force you to go betweeen different pathes. The YL first world felt like a single giant path with stuff spreaded across the map.

But I'm not complaining about this and I just got into the second world, which feels more different.

My major complaint so far is the lack of variety in enemies.

I'll explain better later ;) first want to 100% the game (I DO enjoy it :p)
Stop picking your nose Image

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Mon May 08, 2017 11:28 am

I understand "open" to mean 2 things:

1: Everything in YL is basically one huge room, whereas BK and BT would divide worlds into many more smaller rooms, making them easier to digest.

2: Some worlds in YL have the same look and feel everywhere, whereas BK and BT would divide worlds into many sections with a slightly different look and feel.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”