Genders of the main duo

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

Genders of the main duo

Postby John Enigma » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:31 pm

What do you think is gonna be the genders of the main protagonists? I know that we still don't know what the protagonists are gonna look like, but so far so good, we have found out that the land animal (the first creature) happens to be a lizard of some kind, particularly a chameleon. (To this day, we still don't know who the second creature is, but is probably a bird, considering that Uku & Lele [potential name for Project Ukulele] is a spiritual succesor to Banjo-Kazooie.)

I was thinking that, since Banjo was a guy and Kazooie was a girl, initially, it would be nice if Uku & Lele's genders would be the other way around: Uku, the lizard, would be the girl, and Lele, would probably be the bird guy. The reason I say this, is because of this fan art excerpt someone made, Image about how the main protagonists would look like in the final process of the game.

In my opinion, this kinda makes sense, and also, after seen this fan art pic, I grew fond of this artist's version of the first creature. I don't know if it's me, but to the notable eye lashes that the lizard has, is a girl. And besides...

I find her cute. :oops: :D

Don't judge me. 8-)
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Shoegayzer

Re: Genders of the main duo

Postby Shoegayzer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:24 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Yeah, one of each gender would be great. But it's not that important really - so long as the game is fun to play. :D

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:33 pm

I really don't mind. In fact, I'd probably prefer it if one or both characters were androgynous and Playtonic put in loads of contrasting gender references and clues, making the community try and figure out if they are male or female. I can imagine quite a bit of funny dialogue playing on the obscurity of gender.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Why are people assuming they ARE called Uku and Lele? It would make more sense for them to be named after an intrument each rather than both share one.

As for the genders i reckon that fan art has it pretty accurate, love the look of the bird, the reptile not so much.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 pm

I like Taylor's point. I prefer if they're a bit androgynous, with one being male and one female. I don't care TOO much about the gender of either but in that fan art the reptile is extremely feminine. Banjo and Kazooie were more towards neutral, Banjo being a bit closer towards male I guess.

In the end if the gameplay is good it won't matter.
Make the forum great again.

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:00 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diskhat

Postby diskhat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:52 am

It personally makes no difference to me what the character's genders are, I'd be more interested in how the game plays and if it plays well.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 pm

I don't care what the genders are. Also, is it confirmed by them that it is a lizard?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:56 pm

DarkTone wrote:I don't care what the genders are. Also, is it confirmed by them that it is a lizard?

Not confirmed by Playtonic yet. It's suspected because the picture-in-the-bushes looks A LOT like a lizard. Also stealth was more-or-less confirmed so camouflage of a chameleon is highly speculated right now.
Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:15 pm

The main character is expected to be a chameleon, what's on it's back remains complete speculation but i love the fan art up there^ it looks great.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Not a deal breaker either way, but I am personally hoping that the lizard will be male and the bird female.

Alph

Postby Alph » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:03 pm

I really like the idea of having the main playable character (the lizard, I'm assuming) be female (though I'm not too keen on giving a lizard eyelashes just because of that...). 3D platformers have been pretty much exclusively dominated by male protagonists; It'd be neat if Ukulele were to join A Hat in Time and FreezeMe in giving girls some time in the 3D platformer spotlight.

The gender of the partner doesn't matter as much to me (though having it be male seems appropriate). I'm more interested in his/her species right now. I still think an insect would make a really amusing partner for a lizard.

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm rrreally concerned about the main characters, and I really hope they're charming. One way to secure that is to make the other male and the other female, it would definitely give both of their characteristics more diversity. But if they are able to completely nail the characters, genderless ones would also work, of course. I just hope they're well thought out.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Alph wrote:I really like the idea of having the main playable character (the lizard, I'm assuming) be female (though I'm not too keen on giving a lizard eyelashes just because of that...). 3D platformers have been pretty much exclusively dominated by male protagonists; It'd be neat if Ukulele were to join A Hat in Time and FreezeMe in giving girls some time in the 3D platformer spotlight.
Exactly what I was thinking. It would be nice if the main protagonist was female. (Especially in a 3D "collect-a-thon" platformer.)
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:20 pm

I had no idea Kazooie was a girl until someone told me.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:I had no idea Kazooie was a girl until someone told me.

:shock:
Saying Kazooie is not a girl, is like saying Latias is not a girl either. (In reality, she is.)

But seriously, you're noticing that just recently?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Many years ago, of course.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:Many years ago, of course.

Wow. Gender ambiguity sure is powerful.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 am

All this gender ambiguity talk is reminding me of Birdo... Maybe, somthing like that could be done in PU. The gecko could have more feminine features, but still be male, while the bird could have masculine features and be female.
The boss of all Yoshis

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”