End-game Quiz/Twists?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

End-game Quiz/Twists?

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:47 pm

I loved the quizzes at the end of the Banjo games, especially the board game style of Kazooie. Would you guys want a quiz (or something similar) to appear in Ukulele? What about other end-game twists?

There was a rumour that Grunty's last spell (that misses) before she falls off the tower in Kazooie was originally planned to hit and turn you into a frog... from there, you had to find your way to Mumbo to turn yourself back. I'm not sure if the rumour is true, but it always sounded quite fun...

What are your thoughts/suggestions for an end-game twist? Is a quiz good enough -- or would you rather not see anything like that at all?
Taylonic Ltd.

MFWolfe

Re: End-game Quiz/Twists?

Postby MFWolfe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:49 pm

I like the idea in theory, but it's far too early for me to tell if that would jive with the game's design style.

Floyd

Postby Floyd » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:50 pm

There definitely should be some kind of "twist" - at the very least a continuation of the tradition of having the final boss happen after the credits!

But of course, we don't want to know before the game comes out, otherwise it wouldn't be a twist!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:18 pm

I guess it is far too earlier to speculate on such things, but it's hard to stop your imagination running wild!

I think I'd probably like to see a quiz (or equivalent), and maybe a Mingy Jongo-type reveal at the end to pay homage to Playtonic's origins... Time shall tell, heh.
Taylonic Ltd.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Definitely one of my favorite moments in the B-K series. Not sure how well it would fit in ukulele though. If only we knew the details about the villain of the story.

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Yeah, it really depends on the villain. The quiz shows were just a quintessentially Grunty thing to do, not to mention it justified Brentilda's presence. Without Grunty or Brentilda, or even a Grunty-type villain there's no real point to it. Even so, it might be a little too on-the-nose of a reference.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:23 am

I might be alone in this, but I would like to see a quiz no matter how out of place it is. I think the less it fits the funnier it would be. The quiz show caught me pretty off guard the first time I played it, even though it did kind of fit with Grunty's personality.

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 am

I really liked the board game concept in Banjo Kazooie and I would not mind revisting the idea. It could be also used as a hot-seat/turn-based multiplayer mode if they used actual randomized dice rolls and replaced losing/gaining lives with missing a turn/getting an axtra turn. For example if you get a question wrong or lose a minigame, you miss a turn, or maybe in some cases you have to go back a few squares.

Although I would prefer the minigames in the board game to be more platformitng-based, maybe some short but very challenging levels in the style of Mario Sunshine's Fluddless levels, but even shorter and with a time limit

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:55 pm

I like the idea of needing to know things from exploring the game. Maybe a kind of cryptic "ancient" puzzle. Example: We have a wall with an icon at the top and 4 icons at the bottom. Display the characters with happy faces - you only see these happy faces when your life is full. Show the icon for HP (in BK it would've been honeycombs) on the wall somewhere on the bottom alongside 3 other icons. Attack the HP icon to break down the wall. Get it wrong and a boulder falls on you, or your dropped in a dungeon with many enemies.

Or you can hear a particular sound chime every 3 seconds in the room and you've only ever associated it with picking up a pagie. Attack the pagie icon.

While it wouldn't be the game show quiz, it is a way to test your knowledge of the game. Maybe you'll want to piece together a puzzle to make the shape of an NPCs face - perhaps the quizzy thing is to pick out of 16 blocks the 4 blocks that match the hint of the NPC you're supposed to recreate or something.

Expanding on that puzzle idea: How about 16 blocks to put together, like the puzzle system in Tooie. You have a 4x4 grid and there are 4 quadrants each 2x2. The background of the puzzle will be four worlds in the game. The tiles or whatever we'll put together will be the face of NPCs that you need to match with each world.
Last edited by Exaskryz on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:19 pm

I've been playing Donkey Kong 64 for the first time over the past few days. Maybe the end game could involve more mini-games like the banana barrels in DK64. Some challenges did show up in Furnace Fun, but there weren't many.

With this said, I still really enjoy quizzes. Dilemma... :lol:
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 pm

Taylor wrote:I've been playing Donkey Kong 64 for the first time over the past few days. Maybe the end game could involve more mini-games like the banana barrels in DK64. Some challenges did show up in Furnace Fun, but there weren't many.

With this said, I still really enjoy quizzes. Dilemma... :lol:

I really like DK64's endgame system besides the last door. You'll understand when you get to it.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 pm

If it's themed and done well then yeah why not. Loved the board game in bk really liked the panel show quiz in bt but the quiz at the end of nutsnbolts where it was nothing more than questions on the screen was crap.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm

I would really like to have a quiz/twist in the game, but only if it fits for the villain in doing so. Although, for something more original than the main villain hosting the quiz show. His main henchwoman could do the quiz show instead, and pull a twist at the same time at the end of Project Ukulele.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:08 pm

I loved the quiz and the board game concept, so it'd be awesome to have them back. The board game concept in particular could be explored (as suggested above, dice could be introduced).

Speaking of twists, I'd like to see a cliffhanger at the very end of the game, with the villain showing up and saying something along the lines of "See you in next game", like Wizpig at the end of DKR and, of course, Gruntilda.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 pm

I don't see anything wrong with adding a quiz show at the end. This IS supposed to be the spiritual successor to the Banjo games, so why not include one? If it's too on the nose, then that goes for pretty much everything this game represents. It IS the spiritual successor, therefore this is one of the best nods to the Banjo series I can think of, world logic be damned. Even if the big bad is an evil scientist, or some kind of war general, or a demon from the 7th level of Hell, there's no reason why he/she can't do a quiz show. It's a cartoony game, there's barely any logic to begin with! And you know if they do it, it's going to be hilarious, which is all the more reason to do it!

As for a twist ending, well... I'm sure there's going to be a "collect all the things" objective to get a 2nd ending, as in basically all past Rare games, but as for a twist tacked onto the regular ending, I don't really have a problem with that. In fact, I kind of love it when I find out there's a lot more to the game than I originally thought. It's like, "What? You thought the game was over? NOPE! In fact, now you gotta explore a level in HELL! Good luck collecting all the things, WIMP!" Kind of like the end to Super Mario 3D World.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:33 pm

Punksthetic wrote:I don't see anything wrong with adding a quiz show at the end. This IS supposed to be the spiritual successor to the Banjo games, so why not include one? If it's too on the nose, then that goes for pretty much everything this game represents. It IS the spiritual successor, therefore this is one of the best nods to the Banjo series I can think of, world logic be damned. Even if the big bad is an evil scientist, or some kind of war general, or a demon from the 7th level of Hell, there's no reason why he/she can't do a quiz show. It's a cartoony game, there's barely any logic to begin with! And you know if they do it, it's going to be hilarious, which is all the more reason to do it!

As for a twist ending, well... I'm sure there's going to be a "collect all the things" objective to get a 2nd ending, as in basically all past Rare games, but as for a twist tacked onto the regular ending, I don't really have a problem with that. In fact, I kind of love it when I find out there's a lot more to the game than I originally thought. It's like, "What? You thought the game was over? NOPE! In fact, now you gotta explore a level in HELL! Good luck collecting all the things, WIMP!" Kind of like the end to Super Mario 3D World.

Uprising does it even better. Highlight spoiler to read. (After 9 chapters the game appears to end... There's 25 in the game.)
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:35 am

Revisiting this idea, I just wanted to say: PLEASE GOD YES. Players should both be tested and rewarded for learning the game, immersing themselves in the world, and it would be fantastic if it was completely out of character. The old RARE had that tongue-in-cheek sense of humour that allowed for crazy occurrences and we need that back. Give us some Furnace Fun, or a Tower of Terror. Nothing felt better than going through those quizzes and knowing that your play time was being rewarded.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:57 am

No quiz.

Works well, but something fresh would be great.

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 pm

I totally agree this game needs a surprise twist. And I got the perfect one! This isn't really original but it is surprising. I think, if you manage to get 100% and beat the final boss, there should be a secret Stop n Swop ending just like in Banjo Kazooie, hinting at a sequel and revealing secret items you have to find which can then be used in the sequel. Obviously, this was a feat that could not have been done back then despite the ending still being there, but this is the future! This obviously isn't original but I want to experience the lost Stop n Swop feature anew. I do own both Banjo games on Xbox and experienced them there, but the eggs were not too hard to find.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:52 pm

So, I reckon the main villain shouldn't ask any questions about the game or the journey, but exclusively ask trivia questions about Taylor Swift. Like, are haters gonna hate? And will she shake? Maybe which song talks about which ex boyfriend. Which Victoria Secret model did she exclude from a Victoria Secret show because she had a hissy fit?

Yep.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”