That fourth wall? Smash it.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

That fourth wall? Smash it.

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Something I thought of while digging through old Gruntilda Winkybunion quotes was how great the fourth wall breaking was. I know Playtonic has said they're going to add humor and jokes in the vein of Banjo Kazooie, so I hope that these types of wit are still in.

Gruntilda Winkybunion wrote:That golden treasure was for me, now harder still the game will be!

or

Bottles wrote:That's it, I'm erasing your memory pack!

if you talk to him too many times in Spiral Mountain after skipping the tutorial. Even Kazooie has several lines like this. Banjo Tooie has tons of em :D

And while we're at it, I love that several characters have unique events if you bother them over and over (like Bottles threatening to delete your save file). It makes them seem aware that it's ridiculous that they stand in a single spot and feed you the same line over and over.
Make the forum great again.

GildasMagnus

Re: That fourth wall? Smash it.

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Please Yes. I'm hoping for a side-glance to the camera in an opening cutscene. Maybe only one NPC is aware and everyone treats him like a madman, but he can give you hints and clues if you're stuck?
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Or like in BK/BT, maybe several are aware, but maybe there's one key NPC to a specific world (imagine having to save a castle in a medieval world for example) and they are 110% convinced that all of this is totally real, and the protagonists think he's a bit of a madman.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 pm

I like the idea of a fair few breaking the wall, but I think if everyone except one did it might ruin the joke? Unless it was only really sparingly mentioned, perhaps overhearing a single conversation,

"Look, Bob, you're not fooling anyone. Even the player knows. Calm down and let's have some tea, hmm?"

With occasion asides from others,

"David and Grant rely outdid themselves with this one, huh?"

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:36 pm

"David and Grant really outdid themselves with this one, huh?"

Haha that's great. And yeah I agree it would get old if it was done all the time. Execution is key. I think in BK/BT it was Banjo, Kazooie, Bottles, and Grunty who did most of the breaking. Then there were some others mixed in. Chief Bloatazin, Blackeye, Mumbo once or twice. And in total there were maybe like fifteen meta-references between the two games, but man were they great.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:38 pm

It's definitely a staple of classic RARE humour and I really hope it gets in, but definitely in moderation. The main villain and the main characters at the least.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm all for breaking the fourth wall, but it has to be subtle. We don't want it to go overboard like Nuts & Bolts now do we? I'm looking at you L.O.G.!

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm

L.O.G's main problem was that he was an absolute @#$%. Though yes, he did quite destroy the fourth wall and then jump up and down whilst urinating on the rubble.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm

I think tasteful is more the key. Banjo-Kazooie certainly wasn't subtle. But L.O.G. did it every sentence, and was a major jerk about it ("the player doesn't want to collect things anymore!").

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:25 pm

dotEXE wrote:I think tasteful is more the key. Banjo-Kazooie certainly wasn't subtle. But L.O.G. did it every sentence, and was a major jerk about it ("the player doesn't want to collect things anymore!").

How DARE he assume we don't want to collect tokens simply because Banjo has gained weight. He's still beautiful to me :(

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:02 pm

dotEXE wrote:I think tasteful is more the key. Banjo-Kazooie certainly wasn't subtle. But L.O.G. did it every sentence, and was a major jerk about it ("the player doesn't want to collect things anymore!").

Yeah, Banjo-Kazooie certainly wasn't subtle about breaking the fourth wall. And since Project Ukulele is a spiritual successor to it, it's very likely Playtonic will do it again in being overt to break the fourth wall, instead of choosing subtlety.

GildasMagnus wrote:L.O.G's main problem was that he was an absolute @#$%. Though yes, he did quite destroy the fourth wall and then jump up and down whilst urinating on the rubble.

How about an easter egg in Project Ukulele, that shows a monitor exactly the same as L.O.G. found smashed up in a container, with a short description on it reading: Do not collect this rubbish!
Last edited by Xellos on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:11 pm

I like subtle wall breaking that is humorous but over doing it ruins it.

Alph

Postby Alph » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Rare's funniest fourth-wall-breaker has always been Cranky Kong, in my opinion. Unfortunately Cranky Kong has pretty much abandoned that habit ever since Rare left Nintendo, so hopefully Project Ukulele can give us someone as funny as Cranky to fill his shoes!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:35 pm

The Banjo games might not have been "subtle" in breaking the fourth wall, but they didn't break it all the time. It was 'tasteful', as somebody has mentioned already. Stick to this formula with the occasional self-aware dialogue for humour.

Nuts & Bolts pretty much didn't have a fourth wall; everyone was an 'actor' playing a roll in the levels... I hated that. I like unique characters with individual personalities -- not actors.
Taylonic Ltd.

Protons

Postby Protons » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:03 pm

I mean honestly with banjo games

The forth wall didn't really exist
constantly did the characters know it was a video game

But it was done so correctly, and didn't kill immersion, that It was
easy to play along

I have no doubt this will be the same

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 pm

I really loved the breaking of the fourth wall. At the time it was something I hadn't seen before and it really entertained me.

doppnett

Postby doppnett » Sat May 02, 2015 2:42 pm

From some of the scenes shown , there are a few breaking the forth walls moments like the connection to Call of Duty. This feature should be a must even to talk negative things about themselves.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat May 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Yeah I loved Rare's self-deprecating fourth wall humor and it'd be great to hear it come through in Yooka-Laylee.

dance1211

Postby dance1211 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

I think a good example of 4th wall breaking was in Metal Gear Solid 2 when the colonel goes crazy and starts spouting gibberish. I imagine that the longer you spend in the spooky world, the more you UI starts going against you akin to Eternal Darkness. The text boxes go off angle, the words in the pause menu change, and all the NPCs just become randomly nasty.

III H1TMaN III

Postby III H1TMaN III » Sat May 02, 2015 6:07 pm

GildasMagnus wrote:L.O.G's main problem was that he was an absolute @#$%. Though yes, he did quite destroy the fourth wall and then jump up and down whilst urinating on the rubble.

How about an easter egg in Project Ukulele, that shows a monitor exactly the same as L.O.G. found smashed up in a container, with a short description on it reading: Do not collect this rubbish![/quote]

Yes please!

I hate L.O.G so much.
Hey there fellow reader! I suppose I gained your interest somehow? It's nice having someone reading me. It feels so.. ticklish I should say. Thanks for that!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”