I want this game to have awesome gameplay physics.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

I want this game to have awesome gameplay physics.

Postby Viellain » Thu May 28, 2015 11:34 am

I know this is a minor thing, maybe major depending on how much you value being able to control your character to the best of your limits, but anyways don't you love that freedom to be able to maneuver your character to your likes?
I'll give examples of awesome things in terms of movement you could do in Banjo Kazooie that you really don't see that type of freedom of movement in many games that many of us take for granted in games like Banjo Kazooie:
1. You can do the shock spring jump and do the feathery flap or beak buster. Or you can just do the spring jump outside the boundaries instead of being stationary.
2. You can do a forward roll then jump so you have the ability to cancel it and not be locked into the entire animation.
3. When you're doing the talon trot and enter a room that talon trot is saved to the next room so you don't have to re-enable it.
4. You can crouch off of platforms and enable the jump moments before the crouch thus allowing you to do a flap flip in mid-air or do some egg shooting attacks like that in mid air or mid air pooping (now that is awesome)

Albeit minor, this freedom of use for various moves is nice. Many of these don't break the gameplay in any way and can be a nice convenience for speedrunning stuff (have you seen those Banjo Kazooie TASs?). I really hope this game brings back that freedom like being able to use a giant fart bubble after doing a sick roll into a wall thus bouncing off and jumping on a small platform to crouch then falling off because of all that sliding friction thus putting you in mid air where you can do a giant fart bubble on some baddie. That's the kind of freedom I want in a game like this. Also please don't bring back the scratch attack.

Jellyfunk

Re: I want this game to have awesome gameplay physics.

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri May 29, 2015 2:43 am

That's what Toybox is for. Get a first-hand feel for the gameplay and report any problems to Playtonic so they can tweak it to perfection.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:07 am

Banjo-Tooie had much more freedom of movement - it was all a lot smoother and freer. You could control moves in a larger variety of ways.

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:06 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:That's what Toybox is for. Get a first-hand feel for the gameplay and report any problems to Playtonic so they can tweak it to perfection.

What is a Toybox?
Guest 10000000000000/TheScienceEnthusiast1130. A science and entertainment media enthusiast. Activist of Anonymous. Hello. :D

https://about.me/guest10000000000000

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:54 pm

TSE1130 wrote:What is a Toybox?

The Toybox is the "Demo" of the Game, wich was an tier of the Kickstarter.

Some Information from the Kickstarter Page:

"Our Toybox experiences are designed to deliver hands on time with Yooka and Laylee before the game comes out. You can be the first to take our heroic duo for a spin (literally, if you press X) but we promise this self-contained plaything won’t spoil the full game: It’s built from in-game assets arranged specifically for this experience. There won’t be any objectives to beat, just a controllable duo, nice music and a few surprises too.

The Enhanced Toybox will include a special environment, advanced props and special moves right away."
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link: http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/Update%2001/
Remake: https://www.facebook.com/UiDuesterburg?fref=ts

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 am

I agree with OP, which is funny, b.c. I was about to tear into him on the erroneous assumption (based on the thread's title) that he wanted a realistic physics engine, or would perhaps be wowed by "rag doll physics". Good games are almost always ruined by "realistic" attempts at physics simulations. Corpses get kicked down hallways by nudging into them, cars bounce weightlessly to the moon on impact--time after time, "realistic" physics only encourages disbelief, counter to the presumed intent of its inclusion in the first place.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Back in the Gamecube days I was really impressed with the physics in Super Mario Sunshine were. My favorite thing to do was literally kick the durian fruit all around Delphino Plaza! XD The physics doesn't have to be the best, most innovative and realistic movements possible, but simple things like that would be a nice touch.

In YL, you could stumble on some kind of ball, and you could kick it around for fun. Then maybe once you've expanded the world you find there's actually a goal for you to kick the ball to and you get a Pagie for it.
you kuh lady

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Nice :D
Guest 10000000000000/TheScienceEnthusiast1130. A science and entertainment media enthusiast. Activist of Anonymous. Hello. :D

https://about.me/guest10000000000000

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”