Stop 'n' Swop done right - Connecting multiple games!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
DKVineChad

Stop 'n' Swop done right - Connecting multiple games!

Postby DKVineChad » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:50 pm

I had this notion in a thread that's since been buried, but I think it could spark some interesting conversation:
DKVineChad wrote:I have to wonder that now, in an era when games are downloaded from eShops and Steam, and stored on a local harddrive without the need for cartridges and discs... wouldn't it theoretically be possible to seamlessly switch from one game to another? Maybe a bit of loading spinning up in the background as you near the area from the other game, then the screen goes dark and there you are, in Game 2's world with the same character, moveset, and stats of the previous title.

Earlier games could be patched to accommodate characters from the new ones! Oh god. Oh god. I need to lie down.

Now, granted, I don't know if the Unity engine or various console platforms would allow for such a thing to even be programmed in, but it seems like a natural extension of what's possible today. It's also something Playtonic seems uniquely positioned to attempt once they've moved on to the next project, having already committed themselves to building a larger reality in which the games will take place. How cool would it be to see a door or other obstruction removed from Ukulele's hub, granting access to the world of its first spinoff?

Nougat

Re: Stop 'n' Swop done right - Connecting multiple games!

Postby Nougat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:57 pm

The only thing about that is, what if I buy one game on a WiiU and another game on say Steam? How would I connect these? I feel like an optional login for cross-platform stop-and-swop would be a necessary edition in this case. Either that or I'm just that weird guy who buys games in a series on a bunch of different platforms and really should stop(-and-swop). But I do feel like this is a good idea. Also, not having to login if I'm using the same platform would be nice.

DKVineChad

Postby DKVineChad » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Multi-platform cross-purchase would seem like the fairest way to facilitate this, but I can only imagine what a nightmare that would be to arrange. It'd probably require a central hub to communicate with all the various stores' APIs, checking whether you own each title on any of the platforms. Probably not an impossibility, but unlikely to be without its development hurdles.

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:08 pm

I think it's an awesome idea, but would the games have to be pretty similar in build? Like would a character with a certain moveset even be able to maneuver around this other game's world? They'd have to make sure each character from each game actually WORKS well in those worlds.

If they could get it to work, I'd love it, though.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:14 pm

In the Rezzed presentation it was said that they are interested in included tons of secrets, so I can see a Stop 'N' Swop type equivalent happening. I have no idea how that would work though...
Taylonic Ltd.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I think it would be pretty cool to do. Should be especially easy on the same console.

For cross-platform play, it might be fair to lose a bit of the engrossment of the world and do some type of bluetooth synchronization. Could be done where you boot up both games on both platforms simultaneously, and using the internet as the communication channel, one device shows a 10 digit code that you'll punch into the other device.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Nougat wrote:what if I buy one game on a WiiU and another game on say Steam? How would I connect these? I feel like an optional login for cross-platform stop-and-swop would be a necessary addition in this case.

That, OR some tech we haven't really seen since Megaman (which got ridiculous in Golden Sun). Generate Code:

Finish the game, generate a 20-40 character code (or a puzzle layout like in Megaman), enter it in the next game to carry across data! But the cross-platform login would probably be easier haha...

Edit: Golden Sun not Golden Eye -_- oops
Make the forum great again.

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Taylor wrote:In the Rezzed presentation it was said that they are interested in included tons of secrets, so I can see a Stop 'N' Swop type equivalent happening. I have no idea how that would work though...

Oh it could be easy, IF there wasn't an problem with the consoles.

On Pc, you can check the save-file from the other games and check if the secrets are collected.

On consoles you can't check different save-files, the console wouldn't allow to. The only thing possible would be a central server where the players data are saved, or with a special save-file. But that depends on the console itself.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm very excited for the future of this studio and the different games that come out of the same franchise and I'm confident they'll do some sort of stopnswop

TochJPGR

Postby TochJPGR » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 am

Why not make it a little like Pokémon, in which you have to exchange the pokémon exclusive to your version with a friend that has the other version in order to complete de PokéDex?

For example:
There are two secret areas, one in a volcano (that requires a fire key), and another one inside an igloo (which requires an ice key).

At some point in the game, you get the chance to choose between the ice and the fire key; let´s imagine I choose the fire key.

I open the volcano area, making my fire key useless. Then I exchange it online whith a friend that chose and alredy used his ice key; then I can enter the igloo area, as well as my friend can now enter the volcano area.

Then everybody is happy! :D

rocho

Postby rocho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:14 pm

The nintendo gamecube was able to acces the memory card and see what games you had saved, as an example metal gear solid had a boss that would "read your mind" and started to chant names of games you had saved.

I think this can be implemented the same way, and the game will unlock its secrets if it finds the save file of other playtonic games in your drive.

The other way to make the experience more like it was intended could be the use of NFC figures.

The N64 cartridge replica could contain a NFC chip that will let you store one game information, close the game, boot the second game and load the information from the N64 replica cartridge. Which I would find amazing and very nostalgic.

ely

Postby ely » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 pm

i dont know if you guys have played the mass effect series but something along the lines of their memory reading would be perfect.

Taco In A Can

Postby Taco In A Can » Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 am

Stop 'n' Swop seemed clever for its time; I fail to see its appeal today. (If you think you can enlighten me please do, I would love to see the potential.) I can see the development team's support for it when it would have been the most unique feature for those days. If it was implemented successfully it would have been a super unique feature for the console of the N64 era(to stay ahead of competition) and would have acted as a strong incentive for players of one game to go and take out the cash to buy the other games of the series in order to gain exclusive access to other things in game; much like the way players take out the extra cash to get DLC today.

Nowadays that technology would be unimpressive.
BUT MAYBE
the concept of cross-platforming your progress and character to any title from Playtonic sounds attractive because that is something which has never been done(or attempted for all I know). If it suits the goals of Playtonic and they see the benefit AND they can see the solution to all the obstacles without it taking away precious time from the priorities of gameplay development, then I'm totaly up for it. But again, how would this drastically increase the "play value"? It might not be worth the time/money or I just can't see the future potential.
-The taco hath spoken. :P
ImageImage

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed May 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Cross platform stop n swop would be a ridiculous hassle for something that can be made very different in a more refreshing and engaging way. I just fail to see any advantages gameplay wise for stop n swop to function cross-platform. It adds little more then a mechanic a minority cares about (that is: cross-platform)

Why not just connect Yooka Laylee with the next upcoming game by Playtonic and connect those together?

Or just something very new, that functions on its' own in the same game

Edit:

What made stop n swop so special was the seemingly impossible way to solve the secrets back in BK. You see the pictures when you collected 100 jiggies and all of a sudden the game took a new direction: "what did I miss?" THIS is what made stop and swop popular, not the interconnectibility

Edit2: I can say this for certain as it took me several years to dig deeper in the game wanting to find these secrets. Together with some enthousiasts at therarewitchproject, they were intent on discovering these secrets too. In the end... It was a huge dissapointment as the whole thing was dropped and replaces with those cheap eggs and cardridges back in BT. Yet the sense of mystery I kept all that time made the quest for answers worthwhile.

Edit 3: for the Taco man above me:
As of yet I know no games that are able to create a bigger mystery then BK did, one game is on par right now and that's GTA V, the mount chilliad secret. Which players are still seeking an answer to.
Remember Gobi? He went off the the lava world, remember the Rusty Bucket: How do these doors open? The beauty chamber: How do these doors open?, the door at the mansion? Same idea. Thing is... These had nothing to do with stop n swop but people WANTED them to, trying to look for connections.
Stop picking your nose Image

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”