Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
BM_Panda

Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Postby BM_Panda » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:58 am

As a backer, I'd really like to see the £2,000,000 goal DLC that is free for backers be free for every buyer instead. I'd rather share with everyone and have them enjoy it alongside me than be in an exclusive club.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway and see what Playtonic and the backers thought.

dotEXE

Re: Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:03 am

Not financially feasible.
Make the forum great again.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am

They won't be able to buy the game as cheap as we did. This is essentially the same thing, an early bird discount. As long as everyone can access it and backers don't get an exclusive boss fight, I'm fine with it.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 am

They already pay themselves under the industry average. Would you work hard and do without any payment at all?

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Why? Backers made it possible.

Mark the Dragon

Postby Mark the Dragon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm

We are taking the risk by supporting their endeavour why should people that will wait for safety and confirmations on reviews and critics get the same treatment?

It's like they say the best reward comes with the most risk. (Even tho it's not that risky since they are a really experienced team of game devs)
They told me i couldn't play games because of my claws. Q,Q

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 pm

The truth is most people won't care if they get free DLC or not. It's just one of those "oh, that's cool" things. Might as well charge for the people who do care.

John

Postby John » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 am

I really like the idea. I'm not a fan of DLC for such a small studio because its development directly takes time away from the next game.

If DLC is going to be made, it should forever be part of the game for everyone who owns it. I hate the idea of Yooka-Laylee having two different versions, one more complete than the other. I don't mind if it is cosmetic DLC. But, if it is something like extra levels or bonus objectives, it messes up what it means to have 100% completion.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:14 am

John wrote:I really like the idea. I'm not a fan of DLC for such a small studio because its development directly takes time away from the next game.

If DLC is going to be made, it should forever be part of the game for everyone who owns it. I hate the idea of Yooka-Laylee having two different versions, one more complete than the other. I don't mind if it is cosmetic DLC. But, if it is something like extra levels or bonus objectives, it messes up what it means to have 100% completion.

Agreed.

$40 game with $10 DLC, where as I backed for <$25.

Forget the waiting people did before backing the game. A community of elitists just saying "Well, I was so brave and valiant to throw my money at industry veterans who created classic games that I loved" to anyone who finds out about Yooka Laylee late is just a terrible thing.
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 am

Why would Playtonic release free DLC to everyone? That would imply that they didn't finish the game on time and had to patch it at a later date. Not to mention that 70 thousand backers, Playtonic's biggest fans, would have reason to call them out on the Kickstarter stretch goal lying to them.

The DLC will be free to backers and nobody else.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 am

Taylor wrote:Not to mention that 70 thousand backers, Playtonic's biggest fans, would have reason to call them out on the Kickstarter stretch goal lying to them.

It says nothing about the content being free or paid for others, it only says that it's free for backers. So there'd be no lying involved if they made it free for all.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56 am

Yoshi wrote:
Taylor wrote:Not to mention that 70 thousand backers, Playtonic's biggest fans, would have reason to call them out on the Kickstarter stretch goal lying to them.

It says nothing about the content being free or paid for others, it only says that it's free for backers. So there'd be no lying involved if they made it free for all.

That's a silly rebuttal and you know it. "Free for backers" implies a perk that's different from the norm; a special 'club' with a privilege. How would you feel if you paid for something under the promise of a discount just to find out that the discount was always available regardless.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Taylor wrote:
Yoshi wrote:

That's a silly rebuttal and you know it. "Free for backers" implies a perk that's different from the norm; a special 'club' with a privilege. How would you feel if you paid for something under the promise of a discount just to find out that the discount was always available regardless.

Due to my disappointment with Rare's announcements, against all principles, I've backed Yooka-Laylee, even though it is download-only. So I would be affected by that decision. I see it this way: Playtonic guarantees we will get the DLC for free, no matter if they want to charge for it or not. If they decide to not charge for it, I'm getting what I was being promised, if they charge for it, but not me, then I'm also getting what I was being promised. I merely understand this as "We will make at least one piece of DLC and no matter what it ends up being or ends up costing, you will certainly get it for free".

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:53 pm

I mean, I guess I wouldn't be too mad if they changed their minds when they released the DLC, I'd be getting it free anyway since I backed. But if they make a seriously high quality product, offering the DLC for free to everyone means they don't get paid for all that work. I used to be in the camp that wanted free DLC, but it's just not fair to the devs. Most DLC doesn't even cost that much anyway. I don't work for free in my job, I would be absolutely livid if my employer told me that certain things I did that I couldn't invoice for. Why should they? I'm sure they'll be more than fair with what they charge nonbackers.
you kuh lady

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:38 pm

I don't get it really... Why should people who didn't participate to the kickstarter get the DLC for free? The DLC was part of a stretch goal reached thanks to the donations of Backers and Paypal People, so it only seems fair we get have the advantages. Plus, as everyone said above if the DLC was to be free for everyone, it would be unprofitable for them : making the game is their job and when you work, you expect to get paid at the end of the month.

PONTO

Postby PONTO » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:02 pm

As a backer, I am totally with the original poster on this one.
I am, in general, vehemently opposed to developers releasing paid DLC for games, an unfortunate trend of nowadays. I think that this conduct is quite telling of a lack of artistic integrity, which might be expected from big companies, but not from independent and passionate teams like this one. To me a game, as any other work of art, should stand on its own as one complete piece. As such, even though at this point I am guaranteed the complete version, I would much rather prefer it to be THE game that everyone else will play too. And surely, if I had not backed and at the time of release knew they would be publishing extra paid content, I would buy neither the extra content nor the game itself.

As for people saying that they would be angry if the DLC ended up being free for everyone, I think that is quite a selfish stance to take, which benefits nobody. The argument that the backers should get that as a reward for their risk does not hold water, as we are already getting the full game at a discounted price, as well as the tier-specific rewards. As for the devs working "for free", well, it's not like the base-game will be free, so it's entirely possible that the revenue from the game itself will be enough to fund the extra content. I also wonder if, from a financial standpoint, the benefit to their public image that would result from publishing free DLC would not be worthwile in the long run (think CD Projekt Red and the Witcher DLC)...

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Being blanket-opposed to DLC is completely stupid. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is. DLC has been done right tons and tons of times, you might know them as expansion packs. For more modern examples look to Skyrim's Dragonborn, Farcry 3's Blood Dragon, or New Super Luigi U. Or frankly the new tracks they've added to Mario Kart 8, they've basically doubled the game's content. Only recently has DLC been abused in ridiculous and gross manners, and even fairly rarely at that. Very, very few games are selling $15 Horse Armor. You hear about bad examples of DLC because people love to complain about things more than they like to praise things done right. Regardless, I fully trust Playtonic to do DLC right.

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:47 pm

dotEXE wrote:Being blanket-opposed to DLC is completely stupid. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is. DLC has been done right tons and tons of times, you might know them as expansion packs. For more modern examples look to Skyrim's Dragonborn, Farcry 3's Blood Dragon, or New Super Luigi U. Or frankly the new tracks they've added to Mario Kart 8, they've basically doubled the game's content. Only recently has DLC been abused in ridiculous and gross manners, and even fairly rarely at that. Very, very few games are selling $15 Horse Armor. You hear about bad examples of DLC because people love to complain about things more than they like to praise things done right. Regardless, I fully trust Playtonic to do DLC right.

We're all fans with our own opinions here, and yours is very valid.

I see it as a choice between DLC for a released game or an earlier release date for the next full game. Some people may prefer the former while others prefer the later.

The decision has already been made for DLC which is fine, but there is an argument to be made against all DLC for a studio as small as Playtonic.
Rarewareusedtobegood

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:01 pm

We don't know what they're adding yet.
We also don't know what their second game even would be.

What if the DLC is 4 more versus-mode stages and 4 new versus-mode characters? What if the DLC is a an Arcade-Mode for all existing levels, plus Time Attack? What if the DLC is Bottle's Revenge mode?

We have no idea what the DLC is and assuming that creating DLC delays their second game is a false step for that reason, and for the fact Playtonic wants to hire on a second team eventually anyway who would likely start Game 2 before YL is even out.

If their second game is Trowzer's Used Hot Air Balloon Tycoon, the "well it delays the second game, or they could have just put that DLC into the second game instead" argument doesn't hold up does it?

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:21 pm

dotEXE wrote:Trowzer's Used Hot Air Balloon Tycoon

This needs to happen now.
you kuh lady

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”