Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Salty Joe

Re: Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Postby Salty Joe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:31 am

Exaskryz wrote:Now, why is it that discussion is discouraged at this time? I take the stance of negative expectations, other people take positive expectations. Some people in the positive camp will be happy with $10 maps, others happy with $10 extended story, others happy with $10 hats. But you don't tell them to all shut up cause they haven't played the game yet, do you? So why do that to the negative camp who expects $10 maps, $10 extended stories, or $10 hats?

Who told you to "shut up"? Can you quote the exact post where somebody said that please so I can see it?

I didn't say I had positive expectations. I said, "none of us have played the game, so until you have played the game and all the DLC, I will recommend NOT pre-judging it or creating long analogies explaining to people why you are unhappy with it. After all, none of us know anything about it until we've played it all".

Playtonic Games are making a product, and they're going to charge whatever they want for that product. You either agree to the transaction or you don't. If you're wondering why there's no real debate here, it's because Playtonic have already said publically what their terms are, so you either agree to the terms by buying the game or disagree with them by choosing not to.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 pm

The argument that some people would have a problem with that Playtonic Games is making multiple DLC's for Yooka-Laylee, and therefore the game isn't "complete" in their eyes without having it already included in it instead of releasing the content as DLC packs ("forcing" them to pay for it if they want the "complete" game), runs moot if Playtonic Games decide to release a physical retail version on consoles with all DLC included. Like Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition or Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition have.

Mark the Dragon

Postby Mark the Dragon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm just not sure why people behave that way, it really doesn't matter if you like DLCs or not it was a stretch goal and it will be made regardless of anyone's opinions here.

Yeah everyone here has an opinion but there's no need to get agitated about it, let's just respect each other.

The way i think about DLCs it's like if a company never made any DLCs for a game then it would be deeded as complete, why adding something afterwards would compromise the first statement and make the game incomplete?

I feel like the DLCs for indie companies are a way to the fanbase show their support for the studios because let's face it, there's no big corps on the shadows giving them money to keep on their projects so they really need the extra money, i doubt people would just willingly donate money to them without receiving anything back.

What i really don't like is when studios start developing DLCs parallel with the game or when they deliberately cut content that is already in the game in order to charge people to get it when the game is released.
They told me i couldn't play games because of my claws. Q,Q

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Mark the Dragon wrote:I'm just not sure why people behave that way, it really doesn't matter if you like DLCs or not it was a stretch goal and it will be made regardless of anyone's opinions here.

Yeah everyone here has an opinion but there's no need to get agitated about it, let's just respect each other.

The way i think about DLCs it's like if a company never made any DLCs for a game then it would be deeded as complete, why adding something afterwards would compromise the first statement and make the game incomplete?

I feel like the DLCs for indie companies are a way to the fanbase show their support for the studios because let's face it, there's no big corps on the shadows giving them money to keep on their projects so they really need the extra money, i doubt people would just willingly donate money to them without receiving anything back.

What i really don't like is when studios start developing DLCs parallel with the game or when they deliberately cut content that is already in the game in order to charge people to get it when the game is released.

If fans want to show support, I'm cool with reskins and wearing silly hats. Hell, I'm more OK with console-exclusive skins than I am with paid DLC. But when brand new stages and extended plot are added, that's shady stuff to me.
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 pm

I keep watching this thread hoping it will come to some sort of conclusion but I'm beginning to think that won't happen.

As far as I'm concerned, the DLC was (probably) going to happen whether we made it to the £2 Million mark or not, all reaching that point did was ensure that Kickstarter and PayPal backers would get the first DLC pack for free.

Playtonic no doubt keeps an eye on these forums and has already heard the opinions of those of us who've made our opinions known regarding DLC, and I'm sure they'll make the right decision based on those opinions of what that DLC will entail. As things stand right now, we have absolutely no idea what they might plan down the road to make for the game as DLC, it's all purely speculation, possibly based on what other companies have done with DLC for their games. I can't think of a single 3D platformer collectathon game that's been released that later had any sort of DLC or expansion pack, so as far as I know there's no direct comparison to even begin to more accurately guess at what Playtonic could create as potential DLC for this game.

Additionally, they're not even going to be planning what to make as DLC for the game until after the game is complete and available to backers and non-backers alike (at least, that's what they said regarding it during the Kickstarter campaign, and I for one believe they're telling the truth and will not be planning anything or setting ideas aside to use as DLC during the game's development). I'm also sure that, when the time comes that they've completed their first DLC pack for the game, they'll price it fairly based on what sort of content and how much it adds to the game, and will not overcharge for it as a way to make a few quick bucks from people willing to throw their money at it.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:43 am

karashata wrote:I keep watching this thread hoping it will come to some sort of conclusion but I'm beginning to think that won't happen.

The conclusion came in May when Playtonic confirmed the DLC as a stretch goal. :)

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:47 am

So far Playtonic has never done anything to let us down. If they wanted to profiteer or to take advantage of their customer base do you really think that they would make DLC a stretch goal? They would include it and charge everyone a stupid amount for a special edition, of course they are not doing this because that is not how they operate.

They hit 2 million and we are going to get something great that is over and above the game they were already developing. Even if non-backers can pay for it, I really don't see that as a bad thing. Even if DLC were the cost of doing business I would still support Playtonic because they are bringing us something that is nearly two decades overdue.

John

Postby John » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:17 am

Salty Joe wrote:
karashata wrote:I keep watching this thread hoping it will come to some sort of conclusion but I'm beginning to think that won't happen.

The conclusion came in May when Playtonic confirmed the DLC as a stretch goal. :)

I feel like the decision is made, but the discussion can go on forever. George Lucas made the decision to keep adding special effects to rereleased versions of the original Star Wars films, but there is some substance to the discussions that still exist today about whether that was a good idea. (Han Shot First!)

A DLC discussion between Playtonic superfans may only matter to us just like the Star Wars rerelease controversies only really mattered to Star Wars superfans. But, goddamnit, it's easy to become passionate about something you love.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Maybe once the game is finished they will have a poll of some sort to ask us what we'd want from DLC. Be it more stages, minigames, funny hats, etc. I think that would be the best way to do it and ensure they didn't start making it until they finished the game and didn't remove anything from the game for dlc.(unless theu fudge the results but I doubt that would happen)

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Hopefully fans don't get upset if their option isn't picked.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Playtonic so far has acknowledged fan input, but mostly said "we don't care, your idea is not in our vision". And I LIKE it. I hope they don't take community suggestions for the DLC.
Make the forum great again.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:19 am

Here is what's up in my opinion.

Playtonic was blown away by our support of their Kickstarter campaign. They decided to give supporters free dlc.

Dlc was never initially intended. It came from a heartfelt place to say "Thank you."
"You have all helped us now, let us give something back."

All other negative speculation at this point is unfair and even rude to postulate.

They guaranteed a game at 400.000 pounds. From their OWN pockets. Now the budget has swollen and they are GRATEFULL for our contribution.

Its not a money grab. Its a thank you.

Raddock

Postby Raddock » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:58 am

I dont get the whole fuzz. They stated that they will fully finish the main game and THEN start making a DLC. As a big 'Thank You!' to all backers, free of charge for them. Saying you will have an incomplete game without DLC is just wrong. Would you have an incomplete 'Dragon Age Origins' without 'Awakening'? Or an incomplete 'Starcraft' without 'Brood War'?
Yes, we do get a discount, but if game and DLC have a reasonable price, i don't see a problem for non-backers.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41 am

Starcraft was a horrible example because yes lmao you can't even play online without Brood War and you'll be missing every balance patch and a majority of the story.

I'm on the side in favor of DLC but, whew that was a wide miss.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 pm

dotEXE wrote:Starcraft was a horrible example because yes lmao you can't even play online without Brood War and you'll be missing every balance patch and a majority of the story.

It's also an expansion, not DLC. Viva Piñata TIP would actually be closer to Brood War than anything else the team at Playtonic have ever made.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

John

Postby John » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:32 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
dotEXE wrote:Starcraft was a horrible example because yes lmao you can't even play online without Brood War and you'll be missing every balance patch and a majority of the story.

It's also an expansion, not DLC. Viva Piñata TIP would actually be closer to Brood War than anything else the team at Playtonic have ever made.

That is true, but in recent years the definition of expansion packs and DLC has been shifting. This is why people are wary, but I think we can all agree Playtonic is an old school hamburger.

Rarewareusedtobegood

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

There ya go. And I agree. We and everyone else will still get the full game regardless of DLC's existence. Then we get fries, a separate and unique experience whose existence doesn't tarnish the existence of the burger, for free.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”