Expandable worlds

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pgcrooner

Expandable worlds

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm

One of the things in the steam that really got my attention is the thought that you can revisit worlds you already visited later in the game after getting more "paiges". The world is supposed to expand throughout the game allowing for constant revisits to get more things. I found this fasinating what do you guys think of that concept? :)

Floyd

Re: Expandable worlds

Postby Floyd » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Sounds awesome. I can imagine the world will take place inside a book or something like that, and new pages can be added to existing "chapters" or be used to open a new chapter.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:20 pm

could you imagine if in banjo kazooie after you left mumbo's mountain you could add to the portrait with more jiggies and the world gets bigger with more characters and jiggies in it?
this is a very interesting new mechanic that's going to be in project ukulele. It does add to the replay value of the game. I wonder how they are going to implement it.

tk7261

Postby tk7261 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:31 pm

i love the idea!! The worlds are such an amazing part of Banjo. The thought of having a great level and then being able to go back to a level I love and experience it again and in a new way is just too good.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:32 pm

tk7261 wrote:i love the idea!! The worlds are such an amazing part of Banjo. The thought of having a great level and then being able to go back to a level I love and experience it again and in a new way is just too good.

That's what I was thinking, and it would add so much playtime to the game!
I'll be looking out for alot of "Paiges" in the games :D

gyroscope

Postby gyroscope » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:35 pm

The first thing that came to mind was finding Cheato's cheat pages. ;)

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:36 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:44 pm

what if before you enter each world you have to give cheato-esque book paiges to unlock some of the world?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Expandable worlds sounds awesome, but I hope it doesn't imply lots of Tooie-esque backtracking. I guess the backtracking won't be so bad if it were in brand new and excited areas of the previous levels, but I don't know...

I guess I'm coming at this from a Kazooie perspective and I don't want to be disappointed.
Taylonic Ltd.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:00 pm

I get the vibe that the team is trying not to make this game too tedious for us. But I do like the prospect of the expanding worlds.

Cronid

Postby Cronid » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:01 pm

So if the collectables are pagies, like pages of a book, you could get sequels to the worlds, maybe, or epilogues and prologues? A fire world trilogy or Tech-World quadrilogy. Just an idea :)

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Cronid wrote:So if the collectables are pagies, like pages of a book, you could get sequels to the worlds, maybe, or epilogues and prologues? A fire world trilogy or Tech-World quadrilogy. Just an idea :)

not a bad idea! =)
Maybe sequels can have bit's of the old worlds in it!

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:54 am

Pgcrooner wrote:could you imagine if in banjo kazooie after you left mumbo's mountain you could add to the portrait with more jiggies and the world gets bigger with more characters and jiggies in it?
this is a very interesting new mechanic that's going to be in project ukulele. It does add to the replay value of the game. I wonder how they are going to implement it.

This sounds phenomenal. This should expand on Tooie's interconnected worlds and puzzles, and just as you said, reveal new accessible areas of previous worlds.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:59 am

lavamario wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:could you imagine if in banjo kazooie after you left mumbo's mountain you could add to the portrait with more jiggies and the world gets bigger with more characters and jiggies in it?

This sounds phenomenal. This should expand on Tooie's interconnected worlds and puzzles, and just as you said, reveal new accessible areas of previous worlds.

Gosh yeah, that does sound amazing. I think it would make it less tedious, as well. I would be WAY more willing to backtrack into a previous level if I got a "pagie" from another one, and that piece changed something about the level I need to re-explore. It sounds so interesting.

Pedro Vicious

Postby Pedro Vicious » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:30 am

Please at least one level like grunty industries, i love that big maze puzzle world

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”