Physical Retail Release

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
YNA

Physical Retail Release

Postby YNA » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:15 pm

One thing I'd love to see is this game in stores. You might think that would be impossible with a small crowdfunded game like this, but that's not the case, at least for PS4. If you didn't know PS4 is wrecking everyone right now, and companies who release their sales info like Konami and Ubisoft have stated PS4 versions of their games sell better than any other platform. Basically PS4 is a huge success for everyone involved. So much so, that small indie games actually can use the immense profit to release physical cases with discs of their games, three good examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Man-PS4-Pla ... 00QRQQ2DK/
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Chess-PS4-Pl ... 00QRQQ1YA/
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Pool-PS4-Pla ... B00QRQQ1YK

And they actually do very well:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/12/18 ... ut/124478/

While I don't know all the details about why indie games don't get released retail for other platforms(maybe making PS4 games are cheaper than everyone else?) I'd like for the team to at least consider doing this. If not as a base goal or for every platform, at least as a strctch goal for PS4.

PS - Also consider a Vita version since its easy to make a game between PS4/Vita. Will lead to high sales as well:

http://retrocityrampage.com/casestudy2014.php

Luma Party

Re: Physical Retail Release

Postby Luma Party » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:19 pm

I'd like to see a physical release myself.
Despite being a huge Nintendo fan, I wouldn't mind seeing it on PS4 or the Xbox One.
I fully expect to see it on the Wii U, and most likely the Xbox One as Playtonic's team has experience on Nintendo and Microsoft consoles, and a huge fanbase who own one of the two.

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:21 pm

I'd buy a physical copy, definitely preferred over digital. I love having a nice case with cool box art to go with it!

I'll have to drag my mom to the store and beg her to buy it for me, to recreate the Banjo-Kazooie experience back in 1998. It's the ONLY way!

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:22 pm

I would love to get a physical copy of the game. I'd get it on the wiiU

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Physical copy for Wii U plz. Would buy. Also have that new chap you've recently got write the manual Leigh Loveday-style.

ManuRoivas

Postby ManuRoivas » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:20 pm

nicholas362 wrote:Physical copy for Wii U plz.

Same here! :D

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 pm

I would love a physical release. I'd imagine that could be one of the stretch goals, but I doubt it'd get released in retail. No matter how it'd be distributed, I'd get it.

If they do end up making physical copies, I hope they sell them in N64-styled boxes. It's been far too long since a game box was actually a box.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Krockhead wrote:I would love a physical release. I'd imagine that could be one of the stretch goals, but I doubt it'd get released in retail. No matter how it'd be distributed, I'd get it.

If they do end up making physical copies, I hope they sell them in N64-styled boxes. It's been far too long since a game box was actually a box.

That would just be so cool. Sigh. I miss boxes.

guycostigan

Postby guycostigan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:37 pm

I'd buy a physical copy on Wii U. I would prefer it to a digital personally.

Kingrat

Postby Kingrat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:41 pm

I would definitely be on board for a physical release, with a real instruction booklet...in colour! By gum that takes me back.

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:08 am

I have a hunch that, were the game to be released as a physical copy on either of Nintendo's current platforms, we probably would not get a proper, physical instruction manual as part of the package as they seem to be doing digital-only manuals these days.

I have no idea what Microsoft's or Sony's stances are on physical manuals but I wouldn't be surprised if they're pushing toward digital manuals on disc as well in order to cut back on the amount of paper product used in packaging retail products. (Also cuts down on the weight of a retail packaged game, saving money in shipping...)

Elvick

Postby Elvick » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:11 am

Given how some indies have gotten limited retail releases... yes please. Even if it's preorder only or something.

There are a multitude of ways that other publishers have done this type of thing. WOuld love a physical copy [PS4].

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:37 am

There is a god chance this could have a retail release, why? Well, the game will release even without Kickstarter and the reason why they are kickstarting the game is because it will make the game bigger, I wouldn't be surprised if "Retail physical copy" is in the stretch goals.

Also a N64 cartridge of the game would be amazing for the collectors and nostalgia.

karashata wrote:I have a hunch that, were the game to be released as a physical copy on either of Nintendo's current platforms, we probably would not get a proper, physical instruction manual as part of the package as they seem to be doing digital-only manuals these days.

I have no idea what Microsoft's or Sony's stances are on physical manuals but I wouldn't be surprised if they're pushing toward digital manuals on disc as well in order to cut back on the amount of paper product used in packaging retail products. (Also cuts down on the weight of a retail packaged game, saving money in shipping...)

Sony and MS got rid of physical manuals even before Nintendo did, however maybe that could be a kickstarter goal as well?
Last edited by Meelow on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

FarronFox

Postby FarronFox » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:42 am

Yeah, I'd love to see physical releases as well including a colour manual if it is at all possible.
Last edited by FarronFox on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:45 am

I would absolutely pay good money for a physical release on WiiU. That sounds like a good Kickstarter goal.

mijuee

Postby mijuee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:48 am

Retail WII U copy and platonic has all my money for sure. Make it happen!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:08 am

Physical copies are great, but I don't want Playtonic to blow their budget on such a thing. I personally want the greatest game possible -- if that means it's stuck to digital, then fine.

Maybe physical copies can be a Kickstarter reward, but again I'd want most of the donations to go towards the game. There's no point asking for money just to spend all that money on getting one person a physical copy. They need to make a profit from the donations that they can put towards the game itself.
Taylonic Ltd.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:32 pm

maybe if the game is a big enuff success they can do a limited physical release with an artbook/music CD/plush or somthing maybe? i like how nintendo released new super luigi u digital & then released it physical & the physical version did fairy well heck some people with the digital version went & got the physical version

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:48 pm

A physical copy of Project Ukulele for the Wii U would fit nicely on my shelf. Next to the good old Rareware games that is.

JoVo-7

Postby JoVo-7 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:01 pm

I would only buy the retail copy on WiiU.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”