Two more members, and another who left Sea of Thieves

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Two more members, and another who left Sea of Thieves

Postby dotEXE » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:04 pm

http://www.playtonicgames.com/more-housemates/

We've got another ex-Rare artist with a huge library of Rare work in Dave Rose, and another designer joining the team in Ross Bullimore. Ross did a bit of work at Rare in QA and on Perfect Dark before leaving Rare for several years.

Dave says he's looking forward to hiding lots of easter eggs in YL and Ross's interview mentioned a chance at a scary level. Mad Monster Mansion 2.0 perhaps?
Make the forum great again.

Rueckkoppler

Re: Two more members, and another who left Sea of Thieves

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Yay! Love seeing how it all comes together. Now we've got 12 devs + 4 additional contributors. Do you remember how many they'll need to become the "N64-sized"-team? It was something around 20, wasn't it?

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 pm

It's 12 developers + 5 additional contributors Rueckkoppler. Ed Bryan helps too, but has yet to be officially announced by Playtonic to join the team as a guest artist like Kevin Bayliss is. As for how many staff they'll need to become an "N64-sized" team that they've talked about on multiple occasions, is around 15 according to their Kickstarter of Yooka-Laylee. Anyway, this is great news! More ex-Rareware staff joining Playtonic, even one that had a hand in making Conker's Bad Fur Day! Awesome!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Awesome to see more ex-Rare guys. I was expecting fresh faces (which is also nice) from here on.

I predict Playtonic might exceed 20 people following the huge success of the Kickstarter. It means the game will be released on time and, eventually, some of the 'excess' team members can start work on a second game as part of a separate division in the studio. Woohoo.
Taylonic Ltd.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Wonderful. Thrilled for the newcomers. :D

Lienk

Postby Lienk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Nice, more members! And Woohoo, easter eggs! :D

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:07 pm

I want Playtonic Games to have like 30+ people, just so it can be like the Rare that we used to remember.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:27 pm

I hope that in the future the studio will grow up and will have multiple teams working on multiple games at the same time.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Good to hear. Playtonic is the real RARE in everything but name. I'm optimistic about the future for these guys.

John

Postby John » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:16 am

Ross seems to be responsible for QA testing Canary Mary. I wonder what his strategy was for the cheato page.
Rarewareusedtobegood

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Any particular reason these two new members haven't been added to the "Team" section of the Playtonic site yet?

From their interview alone, it's a little hard to tell which roles Dave and Ross will have in the company.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:30 pm

NPChilla wrote:Any particular reason these two new members haven't been added to the "Team" section of the Playtonic site yet?

From their interview alone, it's a little hard to tell which roles Dave and Ross will have in the company.

They added them both to the website today (after I reminded them on Twitter) - interesting to see that Dave is an artist while Ross is a designer.

So Dave is the fifth artist for Playtonic (after Steve, Steven, Mark and Dean) - plenty to be going on.

Ross is down simply as a designer (or maybe even THE designer) - so he'll have a lot to do either way. :)

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Only the best for Playtonic :P

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:05 pm

What's with all the Sea of Thieves hate? It looks good. Even the guys at Playtonic thought Rare fans would like it before it was announced. Rare is not all about Banjo. If anything they are about new IP. So, have some faith in SoT.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:44 pm

nicholas362 wrote:What's with all the Sea of Thieves hate? It looks good. Even the guys at Playtonic thought Rare fans would like it before it was announced. Rare is not all about Banjo. If anything they are about new IP. So, have some faith in SoT.

Most of it is in jest.
It's a running joke - a game about pirate ships as a "fail boat". The jokes write themselves! :lol:

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:14 pm

nicholas362 wrote:What's with all the Sea of Thieves hate? It looks good. Even the guys at Playtonic thought Rare fans would like it before it was announced. Rare is not all about Banjo. If anything they are about new IP. So, have some faith in SoT.

It looks great. But it's not for me. I'm not buying a game then paying even more (xbox live subscription) to have to play it. Much much much prefer single player experience games.

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:33 am

Scrubber wrote:

It looks great. But it's not for me. I'm not buying a game then paying even more (xbox live subscription) to have to play it. Much much much prefer single player experience games.

You don't have to pay to play multiplayer. You do to talk to other people, though.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 am

nicholas362 wrote:
Scrubber wrote:

You don't have to pay to play multiplayer. You do to talk to other people, though.

What do you mean? Could you elaborate?

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:41 am

Scrubber wrote:
nicholas362 wrote:You don't have to pay to play multiplayer. You do to talk to other people, though.

What do you mean? Could you elaborate?

Unless Sea of Thieves is different and won't require a Gold membership, he's wrong.
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/multiplayer
Online multiplayer requires Xbox Live Gold (sold separately).

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Not in games that around multiplayer ala Elder Scrolls Online.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”