Two Hearts! Joinin’ in our game grind…

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
karashata

Two Hearts! Joinin’ in our game grind…

Postby karashata » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:33 am

From the Playtonic website, in case anyone here isn't following their Twitter and/or doesn't check their site frequently for new news:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/two-heart ... ame-grind/

A very brief summary, two new faces have joined the team, Catarina Barros, a programmer, and Dan Murdoch, a sound designer/engineer.

DarkTone

Re: Two Hearts! Joinin’ in our game grind…

Postby DarkTone » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for the thread. I don't use Twitter.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Cool. I want some of that green drink...

John

Postby John » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:08 pm

A Crash Bandicoot fan! That's a nice spin on things, especially with Yooka-Laylee's release on the Playstation. She can hopefully help with all those strange X's, Circles, and Triangles. I wonder if she ever played Banjo.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Only 1 person remaining for fulfilling Playtonic Games desire to expand to an N64-sized team for Yooka-Laylee.

Playtonic Games wrote:In order to finish Yooka-Laylee we will need to expand our team to an 'N64 size' roster of around 15, which we'll look to do immediately upon reaching our funding goal. Therefore the vast majority of our budget will be allocated to wages and office space, plus the cost of outsourcing sound, testing and version creation.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:08 pm

John wrote: I wonder if she ever played Banjo.

Doesn't sound that way. I'm worried that her only experience in the industry is on angry birds.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Xellos wrote:Only 1 person remaining for fulfilling Playtonic Games desire to expand to an N64-sized team for Yooka-Laylee.
Only one. :shock: Only one more.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:57 am

Scrubber wrote:
John wrote: I wonder if she ever played Banjo.

Doesn't sound that way. I'm worried that her only experience in the industry is on angry birds.

Her post says she worked on Strike Suit Zero, and even if she didn't I don't see what's wrong with your only programming experience being on a game that's popular for its polish.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:05 pm

More the merrier!

Xellos wrote:Only 1 person remaining for fulfilling Playtonic Games desire to expand to an N64-sized team for Yooka-Laylee.

Playtonic Games wrote:In order to finish Yooka-Laylee we will need to expand our team to an 'N64 size' roster of around 15

I think I remember the figure rising to 'about 20' in one of the written interviews. As the Kickstarter did so well, I suspect they probably will hire more than 15 to make the most out of the budget and ensure the game is the best it can be whilst reaching the projected release date.

And I believe their intention is to expand into two 'N64-sized' teams to dish out new games every year. So towards the end of Yooka-Laylee's development, I wouldn't be surprised if Playtonic has about 25+ full-time members.
Taylonic Ltd.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:01 pm

There is one thing that I need to ask though: I know that Playtonic Games was founded by six people first, but who's really the main leader of this indie studio?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

karashata

Postby karashata » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:14 pm

On their website they have Chris Sutherland listed as the project director and Gavin Price as the managing director, so if I had to guess, those two are probably at the helm steering the ship, but I don't think they really look at their roles as leaders and more as just another part of the team (considering Chris is also a software engineer and Gavin's also the creative lead on the team).

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:05 pm

karashata wrote:On their website they have Chris Sutherland listed as the project director and Gavin Price as the managing director, so if I had to guess, those two are probably at the helm steering the ship, but I don't think they really look at their roles as leaders and more as just another part of the team (considering Chris is also a software engineer and Gavin's also the creative lead on the team).
Just like the original Rare, right?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

John Enigma wrote:
karashata wrote:On their website they have Chris Sutherland listed as the project director and Gavin Price as the managing director, so if I had to guess, those two are probably at the helm steering the ship, but I don't think they really look at their roles as leaders and more as just another part of the team (considering Chris is also a software engineer and Gavin's also the creative lead on the team).
Just like the original Rare, right?

No, the original Ultimate/Rare was led by the Stamper Brothers.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Right, I almost forgot. What I was thinking was how every member at Rare had their creative freedom. It made it feel like there was no leader, and somehow, that's how they flourished.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 pm

I'd say Gavin is technically the guy in charge. I'm pretty sure he was the one who made the original Mingy Jongo twitter a few years ago and spoke about wanting to make a spiritual successor to BK.

But as others have said, I get the impression Playtonic is a really relaxed company -- a family. They're all in it together for the love of making games.
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Taylor wrote:I think I remember the figure rising to 'about 20' in one of the written interviews. As the Kickstarter did so well, I suspect they probably will hire more than 15 to make the most out of the budget and ensure the game is the best it can be whilst reaching the projected release date.

And I believe their intention is to expand into two 'N64-sized' teams to dish out new games every year. So towards the end of Yooka-Laylee's development, I wouldn't be surprised if Playtonic has about 25+ full-time members.

If we count the additional contributors, they almost have a team of 20 staff members already. But I agree that hiring more developers would speed up the development process of Yooka-Laylee tremendously. If they actually want to have a decent chance at reaching their estimated release date of October 2016.

Yes, I know that one of their goals is to expand into two N64-sized teams so that they can release games annually. Just like Rareware did in its heyday.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”