Bayliss goes permanent!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John

Bayliss goes permanent!

Postby John » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Between the talents working on music, programming, environmental design, and art, Playtonic is looking more and more like a force to be reckoned with.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/bayliss-goes-permanent/
Rarewareusedtobegood

rocho

Re: Bayliss goes permanent!

Postby rocho » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:40 pm

The team most be doing something awesome!

Who would move closer to a studio that is not doing an epic game? I think things are shaping up well!

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:41 pm

This is extremely good news - clearly Playtonic is on its way up!

Lienk

Postby Lienk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Very nice! :D

Looking forward to those bigger, bolder characters!

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 pm

An all star team!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:19 pm

I read this on facebook and with each update they post i am finding myself really disliking Playtonics fanbase. Every comment section is flooded with how rare is dead and how microsoft killed them and how playtonic reign supreme.

Really wish these idiots would open their minds. Why not support both? We could be getting twice the amount of awesome games. Rares doing all it can to make a comeback and the so called fans are just being stubborn as f**k about it. Also Playtonics posts are NOT the place to rant about Rare.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Scrubber wrote:I read this on facebook and with each update they post i am finding myself really disliking Playtonics fanbase. Every comment section is flooded with how rare is dead and how microsoft killed them and how playtonic reign supreme.

Really wish these idiots would open their minds. Why not support both? We could be getting twice the amount of awesome games. Rares doing all it can to make a comeback and the so called fans are just being stubborn as f**k about it. Also Playtonics posts are NOT the place to rant about Rare.

What's worse is when they hate on the XBox games that Playtonic devs made and think they'll magically start making better games now that they're independent.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:58 pm

Scrubber wrote:I read this on facebook and with each update they post i am finding myself really disliking Playtonics fanbase. Every comment section is flooded with how rare is dead and how microsoft killed them and how playtonic reign supreme.

Why would I mindlessly support a company whose games I can't play?

Think man, think!
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:

What's worse is when they hate on the XBox games that Playtonic devs made and think they'll magically start making better games now that they're independent.

Yes! This entirely.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Never thought about that. Love rare but I don't own an Xbox one. Still go back and play the older stuff.

The hating needs to stop.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:42 pm

DarkTone wrote:
The hating needs to stop.

It does indeed. I am incredibly excited for Playtonics games and future but I'm equally excited about Rares future too.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:34 am

Yes! One more in the team!

Does that mean that Playtonic Games has finally reached the N64-team size limit?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:34 am

John Enigma wrote:Yes! One more in the team!

Does that mean that Playtonic Games has finally reached the N64-team size limit?

He's the 15th permanent team member, so possibly.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:50 pm

They've decided to recruit a couple of more people for the Yooka-Laylee development team, rather than sticking with their initially planned dev size of around 15, in light of the massive success of the Kickstarter. Among them a Gameplay Designer, Artists (Ed Bryan), and Programmers.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Xellos wrote:

They've decided to recruit a couple of more people for the Yooka-Laylee development team, rather than sticking with their initially planned dev size of around 15, in light of the massive success of the Kickstarter. Among them a Gameplay Designer, Artists (Ed Bryan), and Programmers.

* Except for they technically didn't recruit Ed Bryan as a permanent employee, but rather as an additional contributor... He's with Nosy Crow, after all.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Correct, and that's the reason why I provided a link to the Kickstarter stretch goals where it states he's an additional contributor (guest artist) for the development team of Yooka-Laylee. Not a permanent employee of Playtonic Games.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:36 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:

I agree it's annoying that many internet posters simply regurgitate the same tired ideas. Microsoft is bad, Rare has been enslaved. It's dehumanizing.

Still, we have every reason to have high expectations from Playtonic. As they've explained, modern Rare is a big AAA studio with little semblance to the smaller team approach that yielded thier most beloved titles.
Here we have a studio of veteran Rare developers (a "dream team") free to joke together and explore whatever quirky idea they choose. No big design docs or extensive approval process.
Playtonic obviously doesn't claim to be "better" than Rare (apples and oranges), but they certainly seem to think this environment is better for them!

And annoying posts aside, Rare fans have a right to feel hurt. Nuts and Bolts, Kinect Sports were skillfully designed, but not even close to what fans wanted. The studio was re-finding itself and there was a long period where fans felt ignored. It's only been recently that Rare has really begun to re-engage thier fanbase.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 am

But anyways, Bayliss is obviously a good fit. He's been popping in photos/updates shown on Twitter. Great he was able to make things work and go full time!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 am

Meinhard1 wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:

I agree it's annoying that many internet posters simply regurgitate the same tired ideas. Microsoft is bad, Rare has been enslaved. It's dehumanizing.

Still, we have every reason to have high expectations from Playtonic. As they've explained, modern Rare is a big AAA studio with little semblance to the smaller team approach that yielded thier most beloved titles.
Here we have a studio of veteran Rare developers (a "dream team") free to joke together and explore whatever quirky idea they choose. No big design docs or extensive approval process.
Playtonic obviously doesn't claim to be "better" than Rare (apples and oranges), but they certainly seem to think this environment is better for them!

And annoying posts aside, Rare fans have a right to feel hurt. Nuts and Bolts, Kinect Sports were skillfully designed, but not even close to what fans wanted. The studio was re-finding itself and there was a long period where fans felt ignored. It's only been recently that Rare has really begun to re-engage thier fanbase.

You've said everything that needed to be said regarding this topic.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”