NEW UPDATE: Raising The Curtain

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
lavamario

Re: NEW UPDATE: Raising The Curtain

Postby lavamario » Fri May 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Butterflies, tonics and choosing your move-order all have me anxious. They're bold moves, and there's no telling how well they will pay off until you experience them first-hand. I personally was fine with the load of collectibles in Tooie, including all the egg variations. In fact, my issue with DK64 isn't the amount of collectibles--it's only that you had to switch in between 5 people to get them.

Will this make levels more narrow, until you unlock the next part of the world which is similarly narrow? The ice world doesn't seem immensely expansive, but of course that could just be the angle of the camera, or a multitude of things. Maybe it's the first section of that world without expansion, and this particular section focuses on expansive in-door environments in true banjo fashion? (enter a seemingly small area and it turns out to be a huge room full of collectibles). Augh--I don't know! I'm so curious! So much is on the line in terms of game-feel here, but it has me excited and anxious!

The ice world in particular reminds me of those upper narrow paths in bubblegoop swamp--the bits that made you tilt the stick ever so slightly in fear of falling off. I love parts like that and, and it seems like the effect was cranked up here with the slippery (presumably) ice paths. I love that aspect.

And the first screenshot is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like it's a retooled area from the first world we saw, which is great, because if it weren't for the tree in the back I'd have no clue! The fact that it looks so different underwater will play a big role in giving that world different vibes, and there's nothing I would love more for than for a single part of a world to have several different layers of tone. I can already hear Grant's approach to that bit being so much different than on land. The lighting here is great, and the smileyface on the pagie made me giggle like a schoolgirl. It's so silly, and the worn down look to them is so much better than the plain square, slghylt bent collectible I was picturing.

Also the plot is perfect given the context. It's not too childish, and not lacking in its whimsy. The artwork mirroring the Banjo boxart has me super giddy. I know several would claim it to be too in-your-face, but I wouldn't mind that being the boxart at all.

Augh, I'm just rambling! There's so much to talk about--what a fantastic update. I need to gather my thoughts and just be hyped for a moment!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

So the main villain is... GRU from 'Despicable Me' :roll:

I'm really not happy how they are making this a Banjo-Kazooie copy. The cover art is (purposely) the EXACT same as B-Ks cover art. They seriously need to let it go and make this game something brand new. Enough of the throwbacks, enough of the carbon copies, enough of the coming very close to breaching copyrights. Lets see something new and not something rehashed.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Scrubber wrote:So the main villain is... GRU from 'Despicable Me' :roll:

I'm really not happy how they are making this a Banjo-Kazooie copy. The cover art is (purposely) the EXACT same as B-Ks cover art. They seriously need to let it go and make this game something brand new. Enough of the throwbacks, enough of the carbon copies, enough of the coming very close to breaching copyrights. Lets see something new and not something rehashed.

I think you need to let it go (trying not to burst into song right now).

People funded a spiritual successor. They expect and want similarities. I don't think it's too similar at all though; the storyline seems very original to me. Lots of differences to BK too in terms of arcade machines, tonics, kart racing etc.
Taylonic Ltd.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Fri May 20, 2016 7:31 pm

Scrubber wrote:enough of the carbon copies, enough of the coming very close to breaching copyrights. Lets see something new and not something rehashed.

I think you're going against the grain with that one. I'm sure most of the 80,000 backers wanted basically Banjo 2.0.

And I don't see much in terms of "carbon copies." Just borrowed character roles.

John

Postby John » Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 pm

http://i.imgur.com/PToG5lE.jpg

Can anyone read Latin? You can zoom in on the pagie in this picture to see text.

Thanks
Rarewareusedtobegood

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 pm

John wrote:http://i.imgur.com/PToG5lE.jpg

Can anyone read Latin? You can zoom in on the pagie in this picture to see text.

Thanks

It's Lorem Ipsum, basically fake-Latin used as filling text when designing stuff. http://www.lipsum.com/

twinspectre

Postby twinspectre » Fri May 20, 2016 7:51 pm

I'm happy Yooka Laylee sounds like finally we are gonna play a complete game without DLC etc.

this thread have build my hype even more
can't wait for Yooka Laylee (PS4) :geek: :D :lol:

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Fri May 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Summing up. Great update. That Twitter thing was a good background of the preevents.

I just hope I won't die till release.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri May 20, 2016 8:36 pm

So many feelings at once... So many questions... So many doubts... So much hope... And happiness at once! Guess I'm gonna let it rest for now.

I'm not a fan yet of any of the new characters. Save for Yooka and Laylee, grew to love them. Also really like trowser. The jarduck seems a bit awkward to my taste, bit to quirky. I do like the octopus somewhat as it seems basic, somehow I like basic in characters XD and Capital B seems a push-over. Guess I need to give all these characters some time to develop in my mind, it's the inside that counts!

Collectables all the way, didn't expect any less! Still hoping for a few more! I really like the pagies, they are a good replacement for jiggies although I wonder about the feeling of a page actually being "a trophy" will they have the same vibe as collecting a new jiggy?

Quills, better then notes! Never really understood the notes anyway... Why notes?

The screenshots? Hell yeah! All the way! Although for now it's concept art, how will they turn out in 3d? I expect good things here :)

*looking back at new stuff*
Hey, Capital B seems to be wearing a white shirt under the suit. But why is the suit black at its' chest? Stripes dissapeared :o

AAAH, so much to handle XD
Stop picking your nose Image

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Scrubber wrote:I'm really not happy how they are making this a Banjo-Kazooie copy.

Someone missed the entire point of the project :lol:

Scrubber wrote:Lets see something new and not something rehashed.

Like new collectibles, an entirely new approach to learning moves, picking which moves you get, tonics, expanding worlds based on player choice, replacement of some useless expendables for an energy bar, a duck's head in a jar, or an octopus body with human head?
Make the forum great again.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Good point. Hopefully it's not too on the nose, like mn9.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 pm

dotEXE wrote:
Scrubber wrote:I'm really not happy how they are making this a Banjo-Kazooie copy.

Someone missed the entire point of the project :lol:

Show me the link to part that said "exact copy of banjokazooie but with different characters in place to avoid copyright issues" i must have missed that. I mis-read it as spiritual successor.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 9:24 pm

You're being salty and you know it. They've not remotely delivered an exact copy of Banjo Kazooie, meanwhile all you've done is poopoo three out of three new announcements. There are some general nods, as seen on the cover art.

If you're upset that Pagies and Quills and transformations exist I'm not sure what you expected. A collectathon needs collectibles, transformations were explained way back in May of 2015, as were quiz games, arcade minigames, etc. They also said there would be a new NPC for handling the transformations, and the game needs an antagonist. The story is completely unique, especially going into the expandable worlds of the Grand Tomes. WHICH also fit into the villain's plot unlike the paintings used to open worlds in Banjo Kazooie. And we don't know how significant the Ghost Writers are.

They told us the themes and mechanics would be spiritually related to BK. The new stuff is in the moves themselves, the story, and the execution of the collectathon adventure. We only have basic plot details so far, the place where most of the spirit is successored. The only way this is even really new is we now have pictures and names for things we already knew were going to exist (i.e. Capital B and Dr. Puzz).
Last edited by dotEXE on Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Yavga wrote:Quills, better then notes! Never really understood the notes anyway...

I can't hear the Quill collect-noise as anything other than the feathers from Banjo. It sounds so fitting--too fitting. I hope they add a bit of that rich jingly oomph from the notes, (maybe making them gold/hard to make it more fitting) to dilute the light feathery sounds I'm imagining. Just for that satisfying feeling that comes with collecting something so essential.
Last edited by lavamario on Fri May 20, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 9:30 pm

I'm imagining the sound of a pen rapidly scribbling, but now that you mention feathers I hope the sound is something similar to those. Love that little jingle!

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Fri May 20, 2016 9:36 pm

dotEXE wrote:I'm imagining the sound of a pen rapidly scribbling

Oh gosh
That's brilliant

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 20, 2016 9:39 pm

dotEXE wrote:
If you're upset that Pagies and Quills and transformations exist I'm not sure what you expected. A collectathon needs collectibles, transformations were explained way back in May of 2015, as were quiz games, arcade minigames, etc. The only way this is even new is we now have pictures and names for things we already knew were going to exist (i.e. Capital B and Dr. Puzz).

Not at all im VERY happy with collectables, transformations, minecart sections etc they are why i backed the project. What i'm not happy with is the identical pictures shown in the 'resemblance' thread and constant urge to BE B-K. It isn't needed. I appreciate that people do like those images that are a direct copy of banjos box art but i just think that stuff should be left for fan art.

Also agree that the scribbling would be fitting for that collectable. I wouldn't be surprised if they steal that idea.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 pm

I kind of hope they do :o

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Fri May 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Scrubber wrote:Show me the link to part that said "exact copy of banjokazooie but with different characters in place to avoid copyright issues" i must have missed that. I mis-read it as spiritual successor.

"A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor."

Source: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_successor

I do understand not wanting a copy of BK, but honestly, even as a spiritual successor it won't be. There ARE new elements. There ARE new things to do and explore.
The nods and references are there because the fans of BK backed the game. Because the fans have waited so long for Threeie, and because this is likely the closest we'll ever get.
I find it ironic that you don't like the idea of the game being too similar to Banjo considering your image signature :P

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 20, 2016 11:17 pm

lavamario wrote:
dotEXE wrote:I'm imagining the sound of a pen rapidly scribbling

Oh gosh
That's brilliant

Exactly what I was imagining, but I actually think I would prefer a lighter feathery sound. A scratching pen sound sounds really irritating in my imagination. Maybe if it was a sort of scribble alongside a light, feathery jingle? I don't know, but I think it'll definitely have to be somewhat melodic rather than just a scratching noise.

I'm sure Grant will settle on something really pleasing though.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”