NEW UPDATE: Raising The Curtain

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

NEW UPDATE: Raising The Curtain

Postby Taylor » Fri May 20, 2016 4:33 pm

http://www.playtonicgames.com/raising-the-curtain/

I've not even read this yet. Just letting you all know!

TIME TO READ.

EDIT --

Summary

More updates to come, including...
May 26th: Edge Magazine
Then: Gameplay footage
Then: Electronic Entertainment Expo

Grand Tomes: Use Pagies to explore them. They are being held captive inside Hivory Towers. Probably this: http://cdn.playtonic.44bytes.net/files/ ... 80x720.png

Butterflies: Eat them to regain health and your power meter, which allows you to use all your special abilities instead of collecting separate things (e.g. feathers to fly, eggs to shoot etc.) -- I made a prediction way back last year where I took a screenshot of what may be one of the butterflies: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4124&p=19883&hilit=butterflies#p19883

Quills: Main collectible similar to notes. Perhaps the coins we have seen previously are only used to pay Rextro for the arcade machines?

Toybox: Coming in July

Also I've never seen this information before over on the Yooka Laylee games page. Is this new stuff? I.e. quiz shows and co-op mode.
Discover unique boss fights, mine cart challenges, retro-tastic Arcade games, quiz shows and more than 8 unique multiplayer games!

Alternatively, establish your own buddy-duo and adventure through Yooka-Laylee in co-op mode! Tacking control of a unique co-op character, a second player can assist Yooka and Laylee by stunning enemies and helping them tackle tricky challenges. No piggyback required.
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Re: NEW UPDATE: Raising The Curtain

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 4:34 pm

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY in on epic thread

EDIT: I LOVE YOU PLAYTONIC :cry:

Edit 2: Just fantastic, Toybox coming in July. It's a spoiler-free standalone world with custom props and the game's collectibles so we can try out how the various elements work.

Capital B is the head of Hivory Towers, and wants to use the pagies to turn the Grand Tomes and all the world's literature into pure profit, somehow.

QuackCorp had two main colleagues, the nefarious Dr. Quack and the multi-limbed Dr. Puzz. It was Dr. Quack (an exo-suit wearing fowl) who sold out to Hivory Towers to attain we assume wealth and power. Dr. Puzz will be doing all of the transformations in YL it seems.

Quills confirmed as a collectible that's traded to buy moves from Trowzer. The order moves are learned in is chosen by the player (careful for soft locks Playtonic ;D). And the Play Tonics are something separate for certain ;)

An energy bar seems to be used to do the various moves and skills, cutting back on some of the collectibles that were found in say Banjo Tooie.
Last edited by dotEXE on Fri May 20, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Make the forum great again.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri May 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Awesome!

Edit: But if the bee is the main villain, then who is this?
Last edited by Xellos on Fri May 20, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John

Postby John » Fri May 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Transformations!
Rarewareusedtobegood

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Xellos wrote:Awesome!

Edit: But if the bee is the main villain, who is this then?

We were told in the DK Vine interview that the face is just a red herring. The face on the mountain was said to be in the game, but the "character" doesn't actually exist (yet?)
Taylonic Ltd.

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Fri May 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Edit: But if the bee is the main villain, who is this then?

Playtonic said that was just a red herring.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 4:52 pm

If that face ends up being more than nothing (it could just be nothing), maybe it's a key character in one of the book worlds. Like a Boggy or something.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 pm

MattUmby wrote:

Edit: But if the bee is the main villain, then who is this?

Playtonic said that was just a red herring.

I know, didn't you read my theory in the Hivory Towers thread?

rocho

Postby rocho » Fri May 20, 2016 4:55 pm

I love the new logo!

Finally the eyes are gone and a much more representative characteristic of Yooka is present on it!

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri May 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Am I the only one who is concerned that:
“IF YOU THOUGHT THE CHALLENGES SO FAR WERE TOUGH, WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE MY OUTLOOK FOR Q4 OF THE GAME…”
doesn't rhyme?

CAPITAL B seems te be the main villain and it was confirmed that the main villain of YL would rhyme like Gruntilda...

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 20, 2016 4:58 pm

It was never confirmed the main villain would rhyme. It was being considered, they were also considering other rhythmic approaches (iambic pentameter, etc). Seems like they've gone with "Corporate Speak" and sloganeering instead. It's fine. Rhyming may have been a bit too on-the-nose. Could also be that another character rhymes or something.

Edit: Control+F "rhyme"
Last edited by dotEXE on Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:00 pm

oh boy, this looks great! :D

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Piet wrote:Am I the only one who is concerned that:
“IF YOU THOUGHT THE CHALLENGES SO FAR WERE TOUGH, WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE MY OUTLOOK FOR Q4 OF THE GAME…”
doesn't rhyme?

CAPITAL B seems te be the main villain and it was confirmed that the main villain of YL would rhyme like Gruntilda...

It wasn't confirmed that the villain would rhyme. It was suggested that he might do, or at least some sort of wordplay/rhyming/etc. would probably be used somewhere in the game, but they never specifically said the antagonist would rhyme.
Taylonic Ltd.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

I love the design of Capital B as well as the Pagies. Really loving this update, and that ice castle looking world/area looks pretty neat. I also love that shot od Trowzer (who I think will be my favorite character). Love this update. Can't wait to see the Quack Corp. characters.

iggy

Postby iggy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Top notch stuff.

The game is looking amazing and the character designs for Capital B, Dr. Puzz and Dr. Quack are great! (You can see them in the banjo-box-art-like screenshot)

Last edited by iggy on Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri May 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Okay, so (defined by role):
Gruntilda = Capital B
Klungo = Dr. Quack
Mumbo = Dr. Puzz
Bottles = Trowzer
Banjo & Kazooie = Yooka & Laylee

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:10 pm

The latter is a ruthless, exosuit-wearing fowl, who’s making the best of a bad situation under the corporate rule of Capital B. The good doctor wasn’t always this unpleasant, but the ruthless takeover of his Quack Corp organisation has persuaded Quack to concoct all manner of crude inventions to satisfy the demands of his new boss – and the shareholders, of course.

Story based on real events?
Like... Rare being taken over by MS,
people have to create strange stuff to satisfy new boss and shareholders, get salty yet still try to make the best of the situation? :lol:
Last edited by Fuzzy on Fri May 20, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri May 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
The latter is a ruthless, exosuit-wearing fowl, who’s making the best of a bad situation under the corporate rule of Capital B. The good doctor wasn’t always this unpleasant, but the ruthless takeover of his Quack Corp organisation has persuaded Quack to concoct all manner of crude inventions to satisfy the demands of his new boss – and the shareholders, of course.

Story based on real events?
Like... Rare being taken over by MS,
people have to create strange stuff to satisfy new boss and shareholders, but still try to make the best of the situation? :lol:

This! :lol:

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 20, 2016 5:14 pm

The full image. Dr Puzz, designed by Ed Bryan, is the octopus up in the top left between Rextro and Kartos. Notice the goldfish (Roysten?) in the fishbowl helmet? I know some people that will be happy! She will play the role of Mumbo, transforming you into things with her inventions. She's a bit like Sandy from Spongebob now that I think about it!

Dr Quack is on the shoulder of Capital B.

EDIT: Someone posted the full image before me.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri May 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Taylor wrote:The full image. Dr Puzz, designed by Ed Bryan, is the octopus up in the top left between Rextro and Kartos. Notice the goldfish (Roysten?) in the fishbowl helmet? I know some people that will be happy! She will play the role of Mumbo, transforming you into things with her inventions. She's a bit like Sandy from Spongebob now that I think about it!

Dr Quack is on the shoulder of Capital B.

EDIT: Someone posted the full image before me.

Gruntilda = Capital B
Klungo = Dr. Quack
Mumbo = Dr. Puzz
Bottles = Trowzer
Banjo & Kazooie = Yooka & Laylee

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”