Yooka-Laylee crossover with Banjo-Kazooie (Xbox)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
siggeplump

Yooka-Laylee crossover with Banjo-Kazooie (Xbox)

Postby siggeplump » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 am

Would you want it?

In an age of DLC with Conker showing up in Project Spark and Battletoads popping up in Killer Instinct and whatnot, I don't think it would be too difficult to make a deal with Microsoft to have some exclusive content to sell more units for their console. Maybe the old platforming duo could show up for a whole level, maybe just a mini game, maybe it's an alternative skin for the characters to use... I think it'd be fun. To balance things out I guess we could have an exclusive character for each console, like Jak & Daxter for the PlayStation and Donkey Kong on the Wii U.

This would be way down the road once the game is done, but I'd love it.

Pardon if this is a topic brought up before. I did a little search and couldn't find anything.

Rueckkoppler

Re: Yooka-Laylee crossover with Banjo-Kazooie (Xbox)

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:48 am

Yep, that has been mentioned as some kind of possible collaboration between Playtonic and the different companies by Gavin Price himself somewhere in some thread. I'd love to see something like that, since (and many DK Viners might agree) it links the Rareware worlds with Y-L (at least on Wii U / XBOX), which is a nice thing.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:04 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=350#p5060

It'd be interesting, but also unfair and inconsistent to the other versions of the game. If Banjo appeared on Xbox, would that mean the Xbox version is better or more authentic? I see a lot of issues.
Taylonic Ltd.

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:15 am

Taylor wrote:http://forums.playtonicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=350#p5060

It'd be interesting, but also unfair and inconsistent to the other versions of the game. If Banjo appeared on Xbox, would that mean the Xbox version is better or more authentic? I see a lot of issues.

Mm! That link is indeed delicious.

I can totally see that, but it all comes down to execution. If this was a Soul Calibur II situation where each console got it's own exclusive content I wouldn't mind it at all. You could make it optional DLC even, for those who want to play the game as pure as possible. Imagine having Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong appear in Yooka-Laylee on a Nintendo console. Which is more authentic? Both DK and Banjo-Kazooie have been in the Rare family, after all. I think the only odd one out would be PlayStation, but both Jak & Daxter and Ratched & Clank have such an obvious Banjo influence to them that I think that would be quite beautiful as well.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:33 am

siggeplump wrote:
Taylor wrote:http://forums.playtonicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=350#p5060

Mm! That link is indeed delicious.

I can totally see that, but it all comes down to execution. If this was a Soul Calibur II situation where each console got it's own exclusive content I wouldn't mind it at all. You could make it optional DLC even, for those who want to play the game as pure as possible. Imagine having Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong appear in Yooka-Laylee on a Nintendo console. Which is more authentic? Both DK and Banjo-Kazooie have been in the Rare family, after all. I think the only odd one out would be PlayStation, but both Jak & Daxter and Ratched & Clank have such an obvious Banjo influence to them that I think that would be quite beautiful as well.

I think it would all be alright. These collaborations (if they even happen at all) could result in hilarious dialogues between these characters. And in times of YouTube, we would see what we're "missing" anyway. The attached missions might be the same ones in their core anyway, just with smaller alterations. I don't consider this a bad thing.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I'd have very mixed feelings about console-exclusive characters appearing in Yooka Laylee.

If something like that were to happen, console-exclusive characters must offer the exact same challenge across all versions with only unique dialogue and visual differences at the most, like Banjo for a Jiggy, Diddy for a Gold Banana, or Ratchet and Clank for a Titanium Bolt. No other reason. If we want to see what the other versions have, we can look them up on Youtube.
I don't want to miss out on a challenge different from the other versions simply because I don't have the appropriate console to play it on. I'd feel ripped off if that were the case.

Further more, borrowing copyrighted characters for use in a game is very expensive, and just for the sake of making one-time cameos would seem like a waste of time and money. I doubt Playtonic have the funds to do something like this at the moment.
I'm not against the idea of console-exclusive cameos, only if the usage is minuscule and doesn't affect the other versions.

(Just for the record, I hated the Soul Calibur 2 situation. Link's exclusivity to the Gamecube version is understandable, but still unfair to those who don't have a Gamecube, and furthermore, I cannot play as exclusive characters outside of the Gamecube version, and those ones happen to be third party characters (Heihachi and Spawn). It's ridiculous.)

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Its pointless

BanjoFan25

Postby BanjoFan25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 am

siggeplump wrote:Would you want it?

In an age of DLC with Conker showing up in Project Spark and Battletoads popping up in Killer Instinct and whatnot, I don't think it would be too difficult to make a deal with Microsoft to have some exclusive content to sell more units for their console. Maybe the old platforming duo could show up for a whole level, maybe just a mini game, maybe it's an alternative skin for the characters to use... I think it'd be fun. To balance things out I guess we could have an exclusive character for each console, like Jak & Daxter for the PlayStation and Donkey Kong on the Wii U.

This would be way down the road once the game is done, but I'd love it.

Pardon if this is a topic brought up before. I did a little search and couldn't find anything.

BanjoFan25

Postby BanjoFan25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 am

NO! We all know what happened to rare back in 2002 when ms bought them out from Nintendo. Their game completely decreased in quality and sales. If Playtonic goes with ms it will be a repeat of the past and the brilliant minds will be wasted. Besides, 3D platformers really belong on Nintendo consoles so even IF Playtonic was to team up with these big brand companies, Nintendo would be he place to beat suit them.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”