Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Xellos

Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Xellos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Post here your feedback for the Toybox. Also, read the latest update which contains a FAQ.

myth8745

Toybox camera

Postby myth8745 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I was playing around with toybox and ran into the high platforms where different camera angles were being tested. Before entering the entrance, I highjumped on top of the glass roof, spun the camera 180 degrees then dropped down and entered the entrance. This made me lose control of the camera- it spun around non-stop (it was great for my eyes :D) until I exited it again. I'm guessing it isn't a bug per se but thought you guys would like to know, since it probably wasn't intentional.

In terms of the camera angles, I like the 3rd camera angle the best since parts of the maze are obscured and out of full view. Reminds me of how secrets and items were hidden in places like these in the N64 days.

Also, any chance of being able to invert the x axis on the camera as well?

This thing is making me smile like a stupid kid though. :D

Glen-i

Re: Toybox feedback & discussion thread

Postby Glen-i » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:41 pm

I really like the squeaky noise for the rolling move.

Everything about it just feels so satisfying to control. Even changing direction feels like it's got some weight to it thanks to the lovely animation.

Stellar work, now back to finding that elusive button.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:47 pm

I am absolutely loving the Toybox. I have 88 quills so far.

The area with the different floor textures (ice, snow, grass etc); rolling and spinning in the water doesn't leave splash marks which I find quite odd. It destroys the illusion of shallow water.

The robot specifically asks for feedback on the camera. For that top-down section, I think I preferred the semi-bird's-eye view from about a 45 degree angle. In the main sections of the game, the camera is great the way it is.

I will offer more feedback once I've finished playing!
Taylonic Ltd.

Nuclear_Muffin

Postby Nuclear_Muffin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:49 pm

That damn button!! Curse you button!! Where are yooouuuu!?!?!?

Game feels fantastic! Everything feels spot on! The way Yooka's head turns when he turns around is especially nice, adds a nice sense of weight to his movements that feels really nice. It's fun just to move around, like it should be.

I have had a few situations where the camera got snagged on a wall, obscuring my view for a few brief moments, but otherwise it feels remarkably polished. It feels like all the pieces are in place to make a true successor to Banjo Kazooie/Tooie here! Right down to the pre-rendered character portraits and icons, silly voices and the nice little rolling hop that you can do by rolling off a ledge and jumping afterwards (I assume that's intentional ;) ).

I agree with the poster above about the fixed camera. The 45 degree one was best.

About the only significant thing I can suggest is that an option to invert the X camera controls would be nice. It's great stuff! Brings back those childhood memories effortlessly! :D

Now if you'll excuse me... I have a button to find...
Last edited by Nuclear_Muffin on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hideous

Postby Hideous » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:54 pm

I just played through the entire thing (except for the last secret which I just can't find). It's great, it certainly got me feeling confident that the final product is going to be exactly what I wanted out of this, so as a backer, I'm happy.

I do have some feedback, though! And it goes in a list, because who doesn't love lists?

• Keyboard controls
    I did not, unfortunately, have access to a controller at this time. The keyboard controls work okay for the most part, but I'd really like to see the mouse taken out of the equation entirely, at least as an option. It doesn't help that the mouse wasn't locked to the window so that half the time, when I clicked, it would minimize the game because my mouse was actually on my second monitor.
  • Camera
    Now, I'm sure you're still working on the camera issues (like it getting stuck on walls for a bit if you rotate into them) so I won't talk too much about that. Something I'd like to see, however, especially for the fixed camera segments, is a Torchlight-style fresnel shader for the character when they go behind walls, sort of like this:

This would alleviate any issues of not knowing where the character is when there's a wall in front of them.

Also, please use more fixed cameras in general! They're great! The see-saw platform section would have greatly benefited from a side on view.
  • Rolling
    It's fun, but that tower was incredibly frustrating to get up. Probably don't base any rolling challenges on having to turn too quickly.
  • Dialogue
    Locking out all controls when someone is talking is painful. At least let me walk around while it's happening? :D

Oh, and Laylee (the bat, right?) sounds a lot like a high pitch Humba Wumba. Not saying that's bad, just pointing it out.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'm not a game designer, but a 3D artist (got any job openings? ;) ) so this isn't my forte, ha ha.

Ritaku

Re: Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Ritaku » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:02 pm

For some reason, the game's acting as though the right trigger on my Xbox One controller is always being pressed. I've tried recalibrating my controller, no difference, and none of my other games behaves like this.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Ritaku wrote:For some reason, the game's acting as though the right trigger on my Xbox One controller is always being pressed. I've tried recalibrating my controller, no difference, and none of my other games behaves like this.

I had this issue at first. Whilst in game, pause it and you'll find an option that says Xbox controller. Tick it. :)
Taylonic Ltd.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Haven't finished the toybox yet, but I'll say it plays wonderfully. Yooka controls very satisfyingly. I love it, and I'll surely playing it for a few hours, for fun and to exploit as many faults as I can. Beware! :twisted:

Just a couple of things.
Camera needs some work. It likes zooming in and out by itself, especially by the see-saw section. I think it'd also be good to be able to position the camera directly above Yooka so I can see what's directly below me, and have the option to zoom it in closer and further away manually, as in the Banjo games (specifically Nuts & Bolts).

Swimming controls are sluggish. A single tap of a button can veer Yooka too far upwards and downwards, and takes a while to do so. Needs to be more responsive.

I also found a bug; Upon entering the hidden room with the particles effects, I was falling into the entrance. After the screen transition, Yooka was still falling into out of space, and I died and respawned at the beginning.

That's all at the moment.

I will play it again soon. Can't wait!

polomi

Postby polomi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Here is my feedback:

• Underwater movements not responsive enough
  • No first person view to look around
  • The camera often gets stuck against level geometry
  • Some moves feel stiff. Just one example: the ground pound (LT when in the air) should give player control of movement direction after the ground bounce, instead of after the whole landing animation

Other than that, pretty convincing for the final game! Congrats.

Oh also, I have the Toybox+ but there is no triple attack combo. The control menu says there should be.
Last edited by polomi on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ShanPen

Re: Toybox camera

Postby ShanPen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 pm

myth8745 wrote:Also, any chance of being able to invert the x axis on the camera as well?

Yes!!! I REAAAALLLLLLLY hope they add this option for the final game, because I'm barely into the Toybox+ and not really enjoying it because I keep turning the camera the wrong way to what I'm used to and it's SO frustrating.

Nuclear_Muffin

Postby Nuclear_Muffin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Ahh, I think I might have figured out why I couldn't find the button... Turns out that I was playing the Toybox and not the Toybox +. For some reason it didn't seem to detect that I had installed Toybox + on the first go around. Exiting and entering the game again sorted it out and now I'm playing through Toybox +.

I'm onto your shenanigans button! I'm onto you...

Ritaku

Postby Ritaku » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Taylor wrote:
Ritaku wrote:For some reason, the game's acting as though the right trigger on my Xbox One controller is always being pressed. I've tried recalibrating my controller, no difference, and none of my other games behaves like this.

I had this issue at first. Whilst in game, pause it and you'll find an option that says Xbox controller. Tick it. :)

Thanks! That fixed it for me, as well, and found the option there to invert the Y axis, which I'm happy for.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Well I finished (with the exception of that button that appears at the end once you get the pagie. I can't find it.

Some feedback. I found the controls to be extremely sensitive and the camera kept shifting all too often which would ruin me in areas that required precision. Rolling up the tower was a nightmare until I realized you could roll slowly. Would like to be able to roll backwards instead of having to turn in a loop to go back. Rolling in general is fun but very hard to control overall because of the sensitivity.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Love the ghostwriter and our robot companion.

Not sure if there's nothing to do in this area, but found a secret door and there's a bunch of elemental things floating around, but I can't interact with any of them. Scared to turn the game off (I have to leave for work) since it said the progress will not save and I'd have to start all over again.

TITO

Postby TITO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm having fun with the toybox but I entered the doorway that leads to the area with the ghosty thingy and suddenly my controller stopped working except for my two triggers but keyboard controls still worked

ShanPen

Re: Toybox camera

Postby ShanPen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 pm

myth8745 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I was playing around with toybox and ran into the high platforms where different camera angles were being tested.

In terms of the camera angles, I like the 3rd camera angle the best since parts of the maze are obscured and out of full view. Reminds me of how secrets and items were hidden in places like these in the N64 days.

That was one area I actually got to before giving up on the Toybox for the night (due in part to the camera's lack of X-axis inversion option driving me crazy, plus the fact that it's 2:30am here). I liked the more zoomed out/bird's eye view option best, because I usually prefer a more zoomed out view in games so I can see my surroundings, as I find the close in views too claustrophobic. I always use the most zoomed out view in Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie and find it really annoying how whenever I exit an inside area (such as Mumbo's skull) back into the main level, how the camera defaults back to the middle zoomed view. So if they have similar zoomed in/out view options in Yooka-Laylee, I hope they give you the option to somehow lock in your favourite view so that you don't have to constantly zoom back out or in if you prefer something other than the default view.

SkipToGame

Postby SkipToGame » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Just finished completing the toybox.

The core gameplay feels great! Running around, platforming, and even the combat felt really tight and responsive. It could still use a coat of polish, sure, but I was very impressed by how good it felt to just play.

I did have to wrestle with the camera quite a bit, which got a little annoying. It's like the camera was having trouble re-positioning itself when it came in contact with the environment.

The toybox being released was an excellent thing to wake up to today. It made me feel like I was playing Banjo-Kazooie all over again. I can't even explain just how excited I am for Yooka-Laylee, and just how much this toybox reinforced all of my hype. Keep up the great work, Playtonic!

Jormos

Re: camera auto-adjust

Postby Jormos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 pm

There really needs to be an option to disable camera auto-adjust. It's VERY disorienting when playing with keyboard and mouse.

Xenoka

Re: camera auto-adjust

Postby Xenoka » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Jormos wrote:There really needs to be an option to disable camera auto-adjust. It's VERY disorienting when playing with keyboard and mouse.

I agree. I played with controller but when jumping on platforms I wanted to look down to get a better feel for where I was at. As soon as I jumped it auto adjusted to where I didn't want it to go.

I have the toybox plus, says I downloaded it, and has the little purple plus symbol next to toybox in the actual game but I can't do the triple attack which worries me that whatever was added to the toybox plus I didn't get.

Last: Where is that final button??? I couldn't find it at all. I really wanted to find it even though I suspect it's nothing big but just could not figure out where it was at.

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Okay, now that I found everything in the Toybox, I'll write down my thoughts:

I really enjoyed playing the Toybox. The animations and the controls feel pretty polished, so I guess there won't be any major changes until the final game releases.
The level design was pretty neat, and you really need to explore every part of the level if you want to collect that pagie (and I'm pretty sure everyone's trying to get it at one point).

I also really liked that you can invert the game's camera. I'm pretty used to the A Hat in Time control settings, that's why this was a useful feature to me. Hopefully they're going to add more control settings to the final game; if that's the case, I might change the underwater controls, since I'm not that happy with the current ones.

The "roll" move (Is there a proper name for this move already?!) still felt a bit "floaty", but maybe that's just me still getting used to the game's controls.
I found myself accidently falling off several green platforms, because I couldn't see the edge. That's due to the simple color scheme in the Toybox, but it won't be any problem in the final game, since the final worlds are having a more detailed art style.

I'm really glad that Playtonic added that blob shadow to the game; I couldn't imagine playing this level without this feature...

The particle room at the end was a nice addition to the game. Can't wait to see these effects in the final game.

That's just my two cents on the regular Toybox. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Toybox+ is all about! :)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”