Online Multiplayer?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Online Multiplayer?

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:16 pm

How would you guys feel about having an online multiplayer option? If this is something you would want, what online features are you after? Mini-games similar to Banjo-Tooie's multiplayer mode, or perhaps the actual main game with co-operative support? Something else?

I think, if possible, some sort of multiplayer function would be incredible. Perhaps a Kickstarter stretch goal possibility...

Thoughts?
Taylonic Ltd.

Nomonoke

Re: Online Multiplayer?

Postby Nomonoke » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 pm

I would love Multiplayer!!

...I just don't know what the multiplayer would be. Can't say I was very fond of the multiplayer in Tooie, and I just have no ideas otherwise. Sigh.

Thomx

Postby Thomx » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:22 pm

I feel like these games were always best as a one-player experience. Honestly, multiplayer would feel pretty shoe-horned in as far as I'm concerned.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Maybe Banjo-Tooie's scrapped devil bottles idea? But I can't help but feel that'd be better suited to local multiplayer... and I can't see that working very well on PC.
Taylonic Ltd.

Kingrat

Postby Kingrat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm the sort of person who hates it when online multiplayer is shoehorned in to a game because its just expected nowadays. I dont think this type of game requires it at all. Some kind of local co-op mode could be fun like the temple shooting game in Banjo-Tooie. Beyond that maybe some form of pseudo-online functionality like dark souls messages. Maybe stuff could appear in the hub world, idk.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:40 pm

I'm happy if it's mostly a single player game, that's how it should be. I don't think coop would bring anything interesting, unless it is like Portal 2 and brings exclusive levels. Otherwise, if it's coop in the same set of levels as singleplayer, that would suck. Say one of the players finds the solution to a puzzle or deals the fatal blow to a boss, then the other player missed the fun part and will have to replay it on his own anyway to do it himself. So I'm fine without coop.

But it shouldn't preclude a multiplayer mode, say like the one in Conker's Bad Fur Day. This one was pretty fun, a bunch of minigames set in some of the main locations with goals that remind of the single player part of the game. I don't know if Project Ukulele will have as many different gameplays as Conker since Conker made heavy use of the context sensitive stuff, so it may not be possible to have a really Conker like multiplayer mode. But something in the same vein should be enough, simply take the parts of the singleplayer game that could be fun to play competitively against another player, I'm pretty sure there'll be a few like that, such as minigames, races, and so on, and make them multiplayer.

If there's some multiplayer at all, I'd love it to be online, that's a given. :D

iggy

Postby iggy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Honestly, I'd rather they focus on crafting an awesome single player experience.

Multiplayer would be a nice addition, but I wouldn't want it to detract from the rest of the game. Online multiplayer particularly (from what I understand anyway) requires a big investment in time and energy to implement well, especially if they want to release the game on multiple platforms.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Personally, I'm not really a fan of multiplayer games, cooperative or competitive, and I really don't like online multiplayer at all. If it's included as an optional thing, I'm fine with that, but I'd rather it not be an integral part of the game. Single player adventures are my thing.

TheEightMelodies

Postby TheEightMelodies » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:05 pm

I am perfectly fine with just a single player experience. However if the team has ideas and wants to implement them then I think they should. I just wouldn't want it tacked on at the end.

No ideas for multiplayer personally but if Playtonic want to add it then I am sure they will come up with something awesome. :D
Fuzzy Pickles~!

Captain Paul

Postby Captain Paul » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Nuts and Bolts actually had decent multiplayer so if they can find something outside of minigames it might be alright. But as others have said a single player only experience is fine. Coop would be cool though.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Well... they could easily go the Banjo-Tooie route, where they expanded the already present mini-games of the singleplayer mode to be playable locally with some friends! I remember how much I loved playing the shooter sections with some friends! Don't know about online tough... I would make this dependent on the additional efforts they'd need to create a netcode. That's really on the bottom of priorities for me. I'd rather see an expanded single player experience.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:28 pm

I had absolutely no idea that Banjo Tooie even had multiplayer. My mind has been blown as much as it was when I learned you could play the duck in Duck Hunt.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:30 pm

supergardie wrote:I had absolutely no idea that Banjo Tooie even had multiplayer. My mind has been blown as much as it was when I learned you could play the duck in Duck Hunt.

Ooops didn't mean to do that to you. But lots of people played the story mode and never really explored outside those realms, but Tooie's multiplayer was commonly overlooked so I wouldn't blame you for not knowing.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Viellain wrote:
supergardie wrote:I had absolutely no idea that Banjo Tooie even had multiplayer. My mind has been blown as much as it was when I learned you could play the duck in Duck Hunt.

Ooops didn't mean to do that to you. But lots of people played the story mode and never really explored outside those realms, but Tooie's multiplayer was commonly overlooked so I wouldn't blame you for not knowing.

I'll have to try it out. Still not a multiplayer fan, but I have to try it anyway.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Looking back at past rare games it seems like LITERALLY every single one of them has multiplayer that are implemented at the last minute most notably the James bond multiplayer that set a good standard at the time with FPS. So I think that there will be mutliplayer in this game, but the big question is what the multiplayer WILL be. Will it be online? Or some minigames? Probably minigames I bet, but what if there was a party like multiplayer like Mario Party by taking minigames from the game? Who knows.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:10 am

Definitely agree with everyone that the single player experience should be emphasized as much as possible. The focus should be on exploring a world that is as mystic and mysterious as Banjo. Banjo (as well as a lot of rooms in Mario 64)is one of those games with that certain atmosphere that makes it feel like there's something hidden in the walls in every room, with nooks and crannies to discover. Changing the level design to suit a coop experience often doesn't favor the intimate world exploring that single player games, like Banjo or DK64, offer.

If online coop wants to be added, it can and should take the same direction that Splinter Cell Chaos theory took for its game. The single player had its core experience with levels that fit the solo experience, while the multiplayer was built around new coop mechanics.

If Ukelele includes things like an FPS mode and multiplayer-compatible mini games or trials, then an online mode making use of that sounds excellent. I was heartbroken when the XBLA port of Banjo Tooie didn't include online multi. As long as absolutely nothing detracts from the single playery, I'm cool with it.

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:15 am

As a first game I'd like to see full concentration on the single player aspect. Multiplayer / local co-op perhaps for one of the follow-up games?...
If they're looking at different genres within this world then perhaps there could be a specific 'party' type game further down the line.
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

PeanutCrunch89

Postby PeanutCrunch89 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:17 am

If it can be done organically, Banjo-Tooie's side games could serve as a good model for multiplayer content. The main adventure, however, should remain a single-player one. I do think messages via Miiverse on a Wii U version would be great, at the very least.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:08 am

I agree with a lot of other people that the single-player experience should come first and be the primary focus.

But if any sort of multiplayer could be implemented, I would like something similar to Dark Souls's way of handling online multiplayer, with the option to turn it off of course. It's probably too big to pull off, but having satisfying combat that can work with both PvE and PvP, with this kind of multiplayer, in a 3D platformer, would be awesome. It will probably never happen, but one can dream. Of course, they would probably have to create the whole game with multiplayer in mind, which in turn means they can't put the single-player experience first.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:14 am

Savage Rodent wrote:I agree with a lot of other people that the single-player experience should come first and be the primary focus.

For sure. Multiplayer is more of a replay element than anything else -- something that can be tagged on near the end of the game's development, I think.

Although I did have another idea for a local co-op mode (which could technically work online, but might cause difficulties with communication): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140&p=1868 - essentially allowing two people to play the heroes at the same time via splitting up.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”