A Reminder About the Delay

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

A Reminder About the Delay

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:21 pm

If the delay never happened, we could have been playing Yooka-Laylee by now. I very much doubt it would've released on a Sat/Sunday, nor on Halloween.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Crownless

Re: A Reminder About the Delay

Postby Crownless » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:26 pm

While it is a bit disappointing, I'm glad they Playtonic decided to give it a few more months for some added polish. I want to see the game polished to a mirror sheen. Not something that needs to be patched one, or multiple, times. :P

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:21 pm

I've been thinking about this too. I'm not upset, though. I can't complain that they want to spend a few extra months to make the game better.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:02 pm

It's pretty unfortunate for them that it releases at the same time as the Switch, especially if Mario is a launch game.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:57 pm

wacky ducky wrote:It's pretty unfortunate for them that it releases at the same time as the Switch, especially if Mario is a launch game.

Well they can just delay it again, then add in Switch support :)
Stop picking your nose Image

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:01 pm

On the bright side, look how CLOSE WE ARE :D to the release compared to the beginning of the Kickstarter! Or even better, look how close we are to the release compared to when Banjo Tooie came out o_o
Make the forum great again.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Different reminder about how janky and unpolished some of the animations looked in those trailers. I'm happy to wait an extra couple of months for a more polished experience

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:08 pm

I wants it now precious.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Yavga wrote:
wacky ducky wrote:It's pretty unfortunate for them that it releases at the same time as the Switch, especially if Mario is a launch game.

Well they can just delay it again, then add in Switch support :)

On one hand I don't want another delay. On the other hand I'll be playing Zelda.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:56 pm

GeneralWalnut wrote:Different reminder about how janky and unpolished some of the animations looked in those trailers. I'm happy to wait an extra couple of months for a more polished experience

Really? I thought everything looked great.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:23 pm

wacky ducky wrote:
GeneralWalnut wrote:Different reminder about how janky and unpolished some of the animations looked in those trailers. I'm happy to wait an extra couple of months for a more polished experience

What is there looks really good, but especially in the Gamescom trailer there's stuff like Yooka maintaining his standing pose when he tongue grapples that ledge, or the almost absent transition from swimming to standing in the fart bubble section. There's also stuff like, when Yooka eats stuff there's no animation on him at all aside from his tongue, and it looks pretty static. I'd imagine it is exactly that sort of thing they are looking to polish up before release, and a big part of why I am happy they decided to put some extra time into it.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:56 am

GeneralWalnut wrote:
wacky ducky wrote:

What is there looks really good, but especially in the Gamescom trailer there's stuff like Yooka maintaining his standing pose when he tongue grapples that ledge, or the almost absent transition from swimming to standing in the fart bubble section. There's also stuff like, when Yooka eats stuff there's no animation on him at all aside from his tongue, and it looks pretty static. I'd imagine it is exactly that sort of thing they are looking to polish up before release, and a big part of why I am happy they decided to put some extra time into it.

Gotta admit, I noticed that too. There needs to be some real animation for eating and grabbing stuff with the tongue. Right now, both of these things feel tacked-on. I'd expect some cartoony, exaggerated animations that clearly show that Yooka's swallowing the metal ball (like Yoshi in the Mario franchise always had) and his body waving around while flying over to a point he grabbed with his tongue.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:39 pm

I think those things aren't that bad. It's still an indie game.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:01 pm

wacky ducky wrote:I think those things aren't that bad. It's still an indie game.

I don't think they are things that would ruin the game for me, but I think they are big enough to where I would prefer to see some of that smoothed out over being able to play it sooner.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:16 pm

It's not as if the October 2016 release date was even remotely realistic (without the game being riddled with bugs and glitches that is) when the Kickstarter campaign of Yooka-Laylee blew through its initial funding goal and stretch goals within twenty-one hours after it went live. I'm glad that Playtonic Games is taking their time in polishing Y-L to the nth degree, instead of rushing the game out of the door as fast as possible which wouldn't have been a good decision on their part.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 pm

October 2016 was very realistic. They simply expanded the scope and depth of the game with the funding. But ya know what? Who doesn't want that? Let's have another delay. October 2017 would give a lot of time to really polish the game and make it the best it could be, right? Hmm, on second thought, maybe March 2018 is better. Don't want to put any pressure on them and let them work on the finest details, to really make this a 10/10 game. :roll: :lol:
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes, if the Kickstarter campaign only had reached the initial funding goal of £175,000, or if Playtonic had decided to release the game in a buggy state. But that didn't happen now is it? :lol:

Oh, and one delay is more than enough. We don't want you to be upset if Playtonic announces that Y-L would be delayed again, right? ;)

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Well we have a month for Switch (March) and a Quarter for YL (Q1). While March is indeed in Q1, so is January and February. We could get YL much sooner than Switch is released.

I'm not that unhappy about the wait. Honestly time usually goes by very quickly this time of year. We'll be looking at January in no time, and then it's just a short wait until we get to play!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:53 pm

I'm sure we funded the campaign enough that they can cram in a few more worlds and Switch support. March is going to be busy anyway with the Switch releasing and all, Zelda being released... Not the best time for Playtonic to gain momentum imo really... Spotlights and online news will mostly cover other things and take their much needed spotlight as an indie dev bound to become big once again!
Stop picking your nose Image

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:15 am

GeneralWalnut wrote:
wacky ducky wrote:I think those things aren't that bad. It's still an indie game.

I don't think they are things that would ruin the game for me, but I think they are big enough to where I would prefer to see some of that smoothed out over being able to play it sooner.

Exactly. Especially since everything else is on a higher level of polish and well animated, it would stand out.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”