If the Switch Version Comes Later...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Scrubber

Re: If the Switch Version Comes Later...

Postby Scrubber » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Their latest update says news coming at the end of this month. Maybe it says later this month.
When exactly is the switch presentation?

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't think Yooka will be discussed very much during the Switch presentation, like, I doubt it'll have it's own segment during the show or something.
'By the end of the month', I think Playtonic means they will post an update themselves a week or two after the Switch presentation.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Let's hope it's not 'the end of the month'...
Waiting 1,5 month for critical info is way too long imho.

Either way I'm not jumping to conslusions. I said 'IF' (more than once). :)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 pm

While I'm wondering how some people assume that it's getting included in the Switch presentation (it's not a Nintendo exclusive, after all), I would find it very interesting if that happens indeed. That would mean that Playtonic grew somehow close to Nintendo. Especially as a non-Japanese indie developer.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:While I'm wondering how some people assume that it's getting included in the Switch presentation (it's not a Nintendo exclusive, after all), I would find it very interesting if that happens indeed. That would mean that Playtonic grew somehow close to Nintendo. Especially as a non-Japanese indie developer.

Skyrim was in the Switch Premier/Teaser Trailer. Speculation is that this Jan 12 presentation is going to preview a lot of titles in development with planned release on the Switch within 2017, along with actually discussing the console. Kind of like how the big 3 do E3 presentations by showing off games from all developers.

I don't think it'd be giving Playtonic any kind of special treatment. They'd just be one more Indie Dev that Nintendo has promoted their games during aggregate trailers/presentations.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Exaskryz wrote:I think it does. They managed to get amazing games working on N64 hardware. Why not on Wii U hardware? Some of their talent was lost developing only for the Xbox/360/One.

Alright if you really want to break it down, let's:

-Yooka-Laylee's lead platform was the PC, Not Wii-U
-That makes it not an issue of making a game for Wii-U but an issue of making a PC game work on Wii-U
-They did amazing stuff with the N64 because they build specifically for it. I would imagine things would not have gone as well if they tried porting the Banjo games from the N64 to the Sega Saturn
-The only thing that was "lost" was the backing of a huge studio (either Nintendo or Microsoft) which just amounts to their resources being much more limited

So I think them being unable to get the game built in an engine they didn't build running on the Wii-U isn't a reflection of their skills so much as a reflection of the hardware limitations of the Wii-U and the resource limitations by the developers. If the Switch is more compatible with Unity I have no reason to doubt their abilities to get it running on the platform.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:45 pm

I doubt nintendo would waste switch presentation time on yooka laylee. I think it will be focused on games that are as of yet not revealed.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 am

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 0981618697

Oh, it looks like Nintendo will be showing some Switch games the day after the initial presentation.
Will Yooka Laylee be in this one?

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 am

WyvernWings wrote:https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/817068160981618697

Oh, it looks like Nintendo will be showing some Switch games the day after the initial presentation.
Will Yooka Laylee be in this one?

Let's hope! 1 week from now!! :)

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:11 am

I can never sit through them tree houses. You're essentially just watching people sat on a couch playing games.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:10 am

Actually I doubt Yooka wil be played during the stream. I wonder if they'll discuss a little about it, though...

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:29 pm

WyvernWings wrote:Actually I doubt Yooka wil be played during the stream. I wonder if they'll discuss a little about it, though...

Idc what kind of info we get, I just want SOME info! :)

tux_peng

Postby tux_peng » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Do you think there will be a physical version for the Switch?

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:26 pm

tux_peng wrote:Do you think there will be a physical version for the Switch?

Yeah.

The Humble Gamer

Postby The Humble Gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 pm

I've gotten so tired of seeing entitled gamers who think everything is unfair if it's not EXACTLY the way they want it.
Now listen here, Playtonic is a team of extremely hard working developers who've been in the business of making videogames for a VERY long time.
Nobody knows what they're doing better than them, and they are trying their absolute best to make a game that(up until 2 years ago) most people seemed to think nobody wanted.
They cancelled the Wii U version because it (quite frankly) is a lost cause and a waste of time, money and resources, but they were willing to make up for it by offering refunds and switch overs to other versions of the game. What other company/group would have done this? NOBODY.
They have been hard at work making up lost time since they had to cancel the Wii U version and I imagine are working as hard as they can on the switch version right now.
I can't imagine they wouldn't try their damned hardest to get the switch version out as close to the other versions as they can, if not not on the same day as the rest.

So stop bloody complaining.
You won't get exclusives, you aren't entitled to compensation and you certainly don't deserve bugger all when you keep whining like this.
Get over yourself and enjoy the fact you are actually getting a game like this from a group of people like playtonic.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Thank you! As I said: Certain situations may suck, but that doesn't mean there's always someone to blame.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Come on playtonic. Nintendo has had its turn now it's your turn to give us some news.....

acemelhaz

Postby acemelhaz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:09 pm

platonic games are we getting switch version in April too ?? even better exclusive launch on switch on March 3rd as we need a platformer on launch

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:34 pm

I might change my mind and get a day one purchase on the Switch if Yooka-Laylee came out 3/3/17.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm getting switch day one regardless.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”