Expand or move on?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
ShanPen

Expand or move on?

Postby ShanPen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:02 pm

I was just thinking about how Playtonic keep saying players will have more freedom regarding how to "spend" their Pagies in Yooka-Laylee, and it struck me that I can't actually decide as yet what choice to make for when I first start playing, so I thought I'd ask your opinion.

Do you think you will use your Pagies to expand a world and collect everything possible from it before moving on to the next world?

Or do you think you'll play through the "standard" version of a world first and use any collected Pagies to unlock the next world to move on to?

Maybe you'll switch between those options depending on how you feel about a world? (Eg. "This world is awesome, I want to explore it all now!" or "I'm not too keen on this one, I'll move onto the next world and come back to expand this one later if I find enough/all Pagies").

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Piet

Re: Expand or move on?

Postby Piet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:49 pm

1st playthrough: Move on and come back later.
Other playthroughs: Get everything as soon as possible.

Did this with the BK games too.
Last edited by Piet on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:43 pm

I like to finish up a world before I move on so I'll be doing as much as I possibly can in a world before I move on.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm with Scrubber, but I am aware that some things will only become accessible once you have acquired new moves from later levels. Some backtracking is necessary to 100% the game.
Taylonic Ltd.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 pm

When playing Tropical Freeze I recall finding Windmill Hills particularly enjoyable, and it was really nice to return to it on/off throughout my playthrough as I carefully balanced progressing through the game with polishing off earlier worlds.
Upon finally besting Lord Fredrik, I had a sense that I had savored and completed much of the game to that point, while still leaving myself some endgame objectives to complete.

Similarly with Yooka-Laylee, I think, the prime mentality will be to *savor.* "Expand or move on?" When first confronted with this choice, I'll likely choose to linger in Tribalstack Tropics a little more, but not so much as for the world to overstay its welcome ... the halls of Hivory Towers will beckon, and World 2 awaits, but as I leave I'll know full well that this is temporary, and that in time I will gladly return to this familiar land of sunlit ruins and pink deciduous trees with fresh challenges to complete!
In short: no firm rules, just "have a sense of progression, but not too quickly; linger, appreciate, revisit; often consider the possibility of saving it for later"

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:21 pm

What Scrubber said.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:13 pm

From the very first playthrough: 100% everything as it becomes available.

I've always done this with collectathons. Leaving a world that still has something in it without a mandatory reason (having to return to Freezeezy Peaks after getting the running shoes for example) is collectathon blasphemy!
Make the forum great again.

Omega

Postby Omega » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 am

Expand worlds and do everything I can to get the most Pagies before going to the next one.

Irrevenant

Postby Irrevenant » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:41 am

It's been awhile since I've played the BK games, but how I generally do things in games now is do everything I possibly can before I move on to the next area, then come back when I'm finished with another area or when I know I can do something new in the previous one.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”