Is it bad that I'm kinda burned out on the game already?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
ZeroJanitor

Is it bad that I'm kinda burned out on the game already?

Postby ZeroJanitor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Like, when Project Ukulele was first revealed as Yooka-Laylee and they had the Kickstarter and that trailer, I was super into it and the potential it had. For months I scoured YouTube for analysis videos, discussions, even just people going "hey look it's Yooka-Laylee it's a new thing" because I was so starved for information about the game that I settled for just people telling me things I already knew.

But I think all that hype up front wasn't good because with each successive update my hype for the game dwindled little by little. It is not because I'm disappointed by the game or anything Playtonic was doing, I cannot stress that enough. I just naturally started to care less about the game.

Now the game's gone gold and I'm still not sure if I even want to play it right away. I don't regret backing the game at all but now it just feels like a game that I might pick up someday instead of a gotta-have-it title like I considered it in 2015.

I dunno it might just be me because I only played and loved Banjo-Kazooie as an adult, I'm sure the vast majority of people here loved the game as children and have had up to 15 years of waiting to prepare.

Rueckkoppler

Re: Is it bad that I'm kinda burned out on the game already?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:29 pm

I feel you. But I think we're just burned out by the excitement about a game we still haven't received. With all the waiting (and now the uncertainty of a day one release on Switch), my excitement died down. Maybe it's better to forget about something till it's available. I think once we start playing it, we'll be excited again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 pm

I never really lost my excitement. I'm as excited as I ever was.

A spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and a succesor to Mario Sunshine in the same year. Am I dreaming?

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Scrubber wrote:I never really lost my excitement. I'm as excited as I ever was.

A spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and a succesor to Mario Sunshine in the same year. Am I dreaming?

Agree with this! I'm really starting to get hyped again, as April is getting closer and closer!
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:01 am

I feel like May/June had lots of big, exciting news... the entire game was grandly re-unveiled, new cast of characters and all.
The rest of the summer brought the toy box, and a nice trailer showing the hub world.

Since then news has become comparitively sparse and they mostly keep re-showing variations on the same stuff. And it almost gives one the impression of having seen everything ... of course the reality is they're being intentional about not spoiling.

Even the soundtrack CD wasn't quite as exciting as the first time I heard Kartos Challenge. They seem to be saving a lot of the tracks for the final game.

This isn't quite like the build up to, say, Smash Wii U where all the small, sometimes cryptic regular updates kept us wondering right up to release. ... of course what is?

Oh, and fact is that the unfortunate Wii U cancellation has certainly cast a gloomy shadow over discussions across the board (playtonic forums, dkvine, and social media). As an example, when the game went gold yesterday that was hardly the primary topic of discussion here! Questions centered more around "how will I play the game" rather than excitement over the impending release.
Overall, the cancellation/Switch has certainly become a prominent topic, with fan reactions varying from acceptance and understanding to understandable outrage.

I mean, the majority response has been one of understanding but this was pleasant for no one, Playtonic included.

Even with the more imminent Breath of the Wild and that incredible looking Mario title. Yooka-Laylee is easily my absolute most wanted game.

rocho

Postby rocho » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:23 am

I'm still hyped because I've waited more than 16 years for this!

I even thought the game would take 3 to 4 years in development so seeing how fast the time has gone I can only hope for March to come and then the switch version of Yooka-Laylee some day this year!

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 am

What Rocho said. I've waited at least 10 years to play a new platformer like this. My sheer level of want remains as high as it's been since the Banjo Spiritual Successor rumours in 2012.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 am

rocho wrote:I'm still hyped because I've waited more than 16 years for this!

I even thought the game would take 3 to 4 years in development so seeing how fast the time has gone I can only hope for March to come and then the switch version of Yooka-Laylee some day this year!

Yeah! I did not think they'd complete the game in 2 years, frankly. And yet, here we are.
Sure will be great playing this on the Switch!

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 am

ZeroJanitor wrote:Like, when Project Ukulele was first revealed as Yooka-Laylee and they had the Kickstarter and that trailer, I was super into it and the potential it had. For months I scoured YouTube for analysis videos, discussions, even just people going "hey look it's Yooka-Laylee it's a new thing" because I was so starved for information about the game that I settled for just people telling me things I already knew.

For me it was EXACTLY like this.

I got really bummed out by the Wii U cancellation news, but even after that I got hyped again (because, as many people have said; we've been waiting for like 16 years).
Atm I don't feel really hyped, 'cause we still know nothing about the Swtich version (while info was promised) + the fact that the Switch & BotW release soon isn't helping either.

While the game could turn out to be amazing (10/10) for me, the whole Kickstarter campaign thingy will probably (I'm not sure) always give me a bad taste in my mouth (and that's coming from a level 100 old Rare fan).

I'll just wait and see. :)

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:05 pm

To each their own. Hope you get what you want.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”