Yooka-Laylee Design Analysis

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
snoodle1

Yooka-Laylee Design Analysis

Postby snoodle1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:35 am

DarkTone

Re: Yooka-Laylee Design Analysis

Postby DarkTone » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Link doesn't work. What does it say?

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 pm

The video's titled 'Yooka-Laylee Toybox Design Impressions' on the channel 'brownbear'.

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Does anyone have anything to say?

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:39 pm

I think it's a really well put together video. Brownbear seems like a really great YouTuber. :)
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:17 am

Rasmusic wrote:I think it's a really well put together video. Brownbear seems like a really great YouTuber. :)

What did you think of the things he said though?

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:41 pm

snoodle1 wrote:
Rasmusic wrote:I think it's a really well put together video. Brownbear seems like a really great YouTuber. :)

I agreed with everything he said, except the last thing with the secret. I don't think YL will have many secrets like the one in the toybox, and I don't really think the secret in the toybox was bad, or not fitting for this type of game.

Listen to my music:

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 pm

He did another one on Banjo-Kazooie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg38aRlsH9A

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Rasmusic wrote:
snoodle1 wrote:

I agreed with everything he said, except the last thing with the secret. I don't think YL will have many secrets like the one in the toybox, and I don't really think the secret in the toybox was bad, or not fitting for this type of game.

Since that was the only true secret in the toybox, which is meant to be partially representative of the full game, it makes sense to view that as representative of the full games design.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 pm

snoodle1 wrote:
Rasmusic wrote:
snoodle1 wrote:What did you think of the things he said though?

Since that was the only true secret in the toybox, which is meant to be partially representative of the full game, it makes sense to view that as representative of the full games design.

But as he described, he liked having the feeling of not having the move yet to unlock something, and then go back later to find the secret. They did not have any move unlocking in the toybox so that would have been hard to do. Banjo did have secrets like the one in the toybox though. (The bottles minigame is a good example as the player had no clue it existed)

Listen to my music:

snoodle1

Postby snoodle1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:53 am

Rasmusic wrote:
snoodle1 wrote:
Rasmusic wrote:

But as he described, he liked having the feeling of not having the move yet to unlock something, and then go back later to find the secret. They did not have any move unlocking in the toybox so that would have been hard to do. Banjo did have secrets like the one in the toybox though. (The bottles minigame is a good example as the player had no clue it existed)

I was referring to the first point, about there being more of them.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 am

snoodle1 wrote:
Rasmusic wrote:
snoodle1 wrote:Since that was the only true secret in the toybox, which is meant to be partially representative of the full game, it makes sense to view that as representative of the full games design.

I was referring to the first point, about there being more of them.

But I don't think that there will be that much more of these in the game. As I described above: "He liked having the feeling of not having the move yet to unlock something, and then go back later to find the secret. They did not have any move unlocking in the toybox so that would have been hard to do."
I think that's the reason that they did a different kind of secret, and also the reason that you can't expect all secrets to be like this one. They just could not do the kind of secret he wanted in the toybox, but I expect some in the full game.

Listen to my music:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”