What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
PurpleFyrus

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby PurpleFyrus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 am

microsoft, that would be ironic lol

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 am

Yavga wrote:Please ShanPen, don't lose your patience over this ill-intended malicious person. It's not worth it. A guy not even knowing what his own profile picture actually preaches is not worthy to the path of self healing to begin with, like he even cares in his anonimous tantrum.

I don't want you to lose your patience over that, you're an honest positive minded person that is undeserving of such lunacy. All your wise words will fall flat to deaf ears.

Thanks Yavga, I'm definitely not going to invest too much more energy into this, especially if it seems like it is just pointless because no one is actually considering other opinions with any legitimate willingness to listen and learn rather than just lashing out. However I wanted to have one last try, which brings me to this:

DiverseOpinions wrote:I see enough of people like you on the streets yelling for undeserved privilege in mainstream and social media.

I'm genuinely interested to know who exactly these people are who you think are trying to get "undeserved privilege" in media (and I mean an actual nuanced definition of the people, not a catchphrase like "SJW libtards" or whatever, as that doesn't help me understand exactly where you are coming from to try and see your point of view), what you perceive these privileges to be, and why you think these supposed privileges are undeserved?

sourrags

Postby sourrags » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 am

I really hope that this game flops, and the Devs never work again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

NPChilla wrote:
Scrubber wrote:It won't flop. End of thread.

How do you know what its commercial success will be?

We'll to start with WE funded the project. So they had nothing to lose. Anything they make from launch is a profit. As someone who is self employed I see that as a success.

Now all that aside, a lot of people who weren't even involved in the kickstarter have preordered the game on several consoles. Not only that but the marketing has been good. All 3 players (nintendo, Ms and ps) are promoting the game a lot. It's there for people to see. There's a huge buzz around it.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:52 am

Sales numbers are more important than profit for gauging reception of the actual game and who'll be following Playtonic in the future. Yooka-Laylee is enormously benefited by its Rare revival novelty buzz which Yooka-Twolee or Yooka-Whatever won't have, giving the team more than enough reason to panic if their anticipated post-release numbers don't line up.

I think Playtonic will be fine on the sales front. Instead, their biggest hurdle will be when they have literally no idea how to tell what criticism and praise is sincere and what's fabricated, whether by JonTron reactionaries or people who spent months talking about how terrible the gameplay looked but are now suddenly buying two copies of the game.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 am

Rawk wrote:Sales numbers are more important than profit for gauging reception of the actual game and who'll be following Playtonic in the future. Yooka-Laylee is enormously benefited by its Rare revival novelty buzz which Yooka-Twolee or Yooka-Whatever won't have, giving the team more than enough reason to panic if their anticipated post-release numbers don't line up.

I think Playtonic will be fine on the sales front. Instead, their biggest hurdle will be when they have literally no idea how to tell what criticism and praise is sincere and what's fabricated, whether by JonTron reactionaries or people who spent months talking about how terrible the gameplay looked but are now suddenly buying two copies of the game.

Wouldn't that make their next game
an instant hit as well regardless of quality seeing as they are managing more sales from people who are in for things other than the game? Hahaha no sorry, I jest.

I believe most regular people will avoid the debates about the game and the way the game is currently heading it will probably get nice scores from the industry critics. Aren't most people moved by one of those reviews anyway?
Stop picking your nose Image

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:46 pm

I really do wonder what Steam will do with all future refund requests from angry people after giving the game a negative review.

I mean, kickstarter backers will get a steam code so they are able to review and refund. Unless Steam would prevent this from being possible, probably the platform doesn't give a damn but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

Yooka Laylee will spark quite the headlines after release I presume, I really do wonder if it will impact sales or future endeavors in any way.

Still I can't wait to play the game with my gf who is equally hyped!

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Yavga wrote:I really do wonder what Steam will do with all future refund requests from angry people after giving the game a negative review.

I mean, kickstarter backers will get a steam code so they are able to review and refund. Unless Steam would prevent this from being possible, probably the platform doesn't give a damn but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

If you're referring to the JonTron thing, people will likely have calmed down by then (hopefully). If not, brace yourselves for a Metacritic invasion.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Yavga wrote:I really do wonder what Steam will do with all future refund requests from angry people after giving the game a negative review.

Yooka Laylee will spark quite the headlines after release I presume, I really do wonder if it will impact sales or future endeavors in any way.

Still I can't wait to play the game with my gf who is equally hyped!

You can't refund steam keys only purchases through steam and if you have had the game for less than 2 weeks and played for less than 2 hours.

It'll almost certainly be hit with waves of bad reviews on metacritic, so it is a good thing almost nothing matters less than user reviews on metacritic.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:48 pm

This controversy is going to hit Playtonic hard, but I doubt it will make their game flop. If they are more careful in the future, avoid politics of any kind, and avoid being pressured into altering their vision. They and their other titles should be fine.

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:30 pm

A vocal minority griping about Jon being removed isn't going to affect the games sales that much at all.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 pm

SpongeTheSquid wrote:A vocal minority griping about Jon being removed isn't going to affect the games sales that much at all.

It was a vocal minority that got him removed in the first place. I've heard that the game has already lost around 3000 pre-orders on steam alone. The decision to remove him is going to do far more damage than leaving him would have. If Playtonic survives past its first game, perhaps they'll learn not to include non-employees in their games at all -- that's what I would do in light of this.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:54 pm

RareAware wrote:
SpongeTheSquid wrote:A vocal minority griping about Jon being removed isn't going to affect the games sales that much at all.

It was a vocal minority that got him removed in the first place. I've heard that the game has already lost around 3000 pre-orders on steam alone. The decision to remove him is going to do far more damage than leaving him would have. If Playtonic survives past its first game, perhaps they'll learn not to include non-employees in their games at all -- that's what I would do in light of this.

And if anyone wants a source for that, here you go. By the way, does anyone know if the dark blue bar means it's the beginning or end of the week?
http://steamspy.com/app/360830

PurpleFyrus

Postby PurpleFyrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:37 am

sourrags wrote:I really hope that this game flops, and the Devs never work again.

harsh man, harsh lol

i can understand you hating whoever made the decision to drop content, but the WHOLE STAFF? cmon, I doubt Grant Kirkhope had anything to do with dropping JonTron, have you even seen Guest Grumps!?

PurpleFyrus

Postby PurpleFyrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 am

GeneralWalnut wrote:
Yavga wrote:It'll almost certainly be hit with waves of bad reviews on metacritic, so it is a good thing almost nothing matters less than user reviews on metacritic.

While you probably aren't wrong in the current situation, you'd be surprised how much of an impact negative reviews can have on games, ESPECIALLY at launch.

Playtonics is lucky that they did this via Kickstarter, so they don't have to worry about a Huge publisher like Activision or EA breathing down their necks. But if they were, they lose HUGE bonuses if they don't reach an overall positive score out the gates. Like I said, doesn't apply now, but if Playtonics needs a publisher in the future, that situation could happen.

The other part is Companies that stock the games. Many marketing teams look at the hard statistics and a large number of negative reviews (regardless of context) can affect decisions on how much stock to order. These folks higher up don't have time to read about JonTron, so they just see "Oh, looks like it has a lot of complaints" and don't order the same supply as demand. This can cause a negative effect on sales during launch and in turn affect the game's sales as a whole.

Butterfly effect stuff, just letting yah know lol

Cube

Postby Cube » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm

PurpleFyrus wrote:While you probably aren't wrong in the current situation, you'd be surprised how much of an impact negative reviews can have on games, ESPECIALLY at launch.

I think you're mixing up the Metacritic critic score, which is something people pay attention to, with the Metacritic user score, which only the people submitting "protest votes" care about. Publishers pay zero attention to it.

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:51 pm

It is complete nonsense and unfair that all this sh…t about jonTron makes an impact on an indie team that has invested a lot of time, effort and love in this project, I really doubt YK will flop, (we are talking about experts in the matter) but if it does and has anything to do with this JonTron circus, I’m going to be really mad about it. I’ve not said any of my opinion about this whole stuff but been watching closely the development of the controversy. This is the only message I’ll post about it, I just want to say, is not fair, PT was only standing out for their values, thanks Playtonic, this speaks directly to me and hope more studios out there were like you.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 pm

DanielGarza wrote:It is complete nonsense and unfair that all this sh…t about jonTron makes an impact on an indie team that has invested a lot of time, effort and love in this project, I really doubt YK will flop, (we are talking about experts in the matter) but if it does and has anything to do with this JonTron circus, I’m going to be really mad about it. I’ve not said any of my opinion about this whole stuff but been watching closely the development of the controversy. This is the only message I’ll post about it, I just want to say, is not fair, PT was only standing out for their values, thanks Playtonic, this speaks directly to me and hope more studios out there were like you.

Thanks for sharing, you will certainly enjoy the game. Know many are with you! don't be consumed by negativity if you weren't planning on joining the bandwagon discussion anyway. Not worth the headache. You'll do just fine. The game will simply not fail just because of this, that would certainly stir up a scene. As you may have noticed, the magnitude of this whole ordeal seems to have settled somewhat already, we've probably had the worst. Of course some sour people will attempt to hurt the game around release but what comes around goes around.

Stay awesome.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:16 pm

JonTron still has 3 million subscribers. I think it's sad to see Playtonic catering to a vocal minority, thus losing many potential sales.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Jellyfunk wrote:JonTron still has 3 million subscribers. I think it's sad to see Playtonic catering to a vocal minority, thus losing many potential sales.

That may not have been the reason, that's just an assumption of some internet people who are shifting the blame without any kind of evidence.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”