What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
DanielGarza

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby DanielGarza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Yavga wrote:
DanielGarza wrote:It is complete nonsense and unfair that all this sh…t about jonTron makes an impact on an indie team that has invested a lot of time, effort and love in this project, I really doubt YK will flop, (we are talking about experts in the matter) but if it does and has anything to do with this JonTron circus, I’m going to be really mad about it. I’ve not said any of my opinion about this whole stuff but been watching closely the development of the controversy. This is the only message I’ll post about it, I just want to say, is not fair, PT was only standing out for their values, thanks Playtonic, this speaks directly to me and hope more studios out there were like you.

Thanks for sharing, you will certainly enjoy the game. Know many are with you! don't be consumed by negativity if you weren't planning on joining the bandwagon discussion anyway. Not worth the headache. You'll do just fine. The game will simply not fail just because of this, that would certainly stir up a scene. As you may have noticed, the magnitude of this whole ordeal seems to have settled somewhat already, we've probably had the worst. Of course some sour people will attempt to hurt the game around release but what comes around goes around.

Stay awesome.

Thanks Yavga, this certainly will not overshadow my experience of the game, and I'm really looking forward to see more work from them in the future, I am pretty shure there is a majority out there who share respect and love for Playtonic and this will no affect them in any way. I may look like and innactive member but I read every new comment and thread every day, I also tell you (as you've been active since the beginning) don't let those negativity get you too. There's been a bunch of missinformed people around the blog lately, sadly.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 pm

DanielGarza wrote:
Yavga wrote:
DanielGarza wrote:It is complete nonsense and unfair that all this sh…t about jonTron makes an impact on an indie team that has invested a lot of time, effort and love in this project, I really doubt YK will flop, (we are talking about experts in the matter) but if it does and has anything to do with this JonTron circus, I’m going to be really mad about it. I’ve not said any of my opinion about this whole stuff but been watching closely the development of the controversy. This is the only message I’ll post about it, I just want to say, is not fair, PT was only standing out for their values, thanks Playtonic, this speaks directly to me and hope more studios out there were like you.

Thanks for sharing, you will certainly enjoy the game. Know many are with you! don't be consumed by negativity if you weren't planning on joining the bandwagon discussion anyway. Not worth the headache. You'll do just fine. The game will simply not fail just because of this, that would certainly stir up a scene. As you may have noticed, the magnitude of this whole ordeal seems to have settled somewhat already, we've probably had the worst. Of course some sour people will attempt to hurt the game around release but what comes around goes around.

Stay awesome.

Thanks Yavga, this certainly will not overshadow my experience of the game, and I'm really looking forward to see more work from them in the future, I am pretty shure there is a majority out there who share respect and love for Playtonic and this will no affect them in any way. I may look like and innactive member but I read every new comment and thread every day, I also tell you (as you've been active since the beginning) don't let those negativity get you too. There's been a bunch of missinformed people around the blog lately, sadly.

Haha, thanks! And thanks for noticing! Seems you already know me too well. I tend to get passionately involved with things, sometimes losing my ability to not care for triffling things. I should try to remain calm as I cannot change anybody else other than myself. Still learning! feel free to approach the forum in an active way any time. As you have been here from the beginning as well, you're part of it all!
Stop picking your nose Image

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks Yavga, I will :D

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 pm

DanielGarza wrote:Thanks Yavga, this certainly will not overshadow my experience of the game, and I'm really looking forward to see more work from them in the future (...).

Me too. And I'm doing it like this:

Image :mrgreen:

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
DanielGarza wrote:Thanks Yavga, this certainly will not overshadow my experience of the game, and I'm really looking forward to see more work from them in the future (...).

Haha that was really fun to make!

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 pm

NPChilla wrote:
rocho wrote:If the game ever flops (which I find difficult) one of two may happen.

1. They move into making their second game and try to be better.

2. The company is disbanded and NINTENDO BETTER BE FAST to offer this amazing people a Job.

I doubt 1 would happen: the money will dry up.

Well yooka-laylee was going to be developed with or without the Kickstarter so I guess they can work on another game with the fan base that still supports them.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:42 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:

404, what was it intended to show? :o

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 am

Yavga wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

I dunno why it was deleted, but I had to upload the gif somewhere else in order to include it here. It was a nice animation done by Daniel. In fact, I thought it was Playtonics own render at first:

https://twitter.com/danielgarza1618/sta ... 5990526976

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Yavga wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

I dunno why it was deleted, but I had to upload the gif somewhere else in order to include it here. It was a nice animation done by Daniel. In fact, I thought it was Playtonics own render at first:

https://twitter.com/danielgarza1618/sta ... 5990526976

Oh I remember! Hahaha! The Capital B bobblehead!
Yeah, I would want one of those on the back of my bike.

It's a lovely animation!

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:06 pm

They've brought on some notable staff this year. Since they're hiring post Yooka, it at least shows internal confidence.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:45 am

Meinhard1 wrote:They've brought on some notable staff this year. Since they're hiring post Yooka, it at least shows internal confidence.

Have they brought on any recently?

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 am

NPChilla wrote:
Meinhard1 wrote:They've brought on some notable staff this year. Since they're hiring post Yooka, it at least shows internal confidence.

Have they brought on any recently?

A couple longtime Rare devs announced January 4, 2017!
http://www.playtonicgames.com/new-year-new-us/

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Last time I posted here, I spoke about a critical success, but in terms of finance and the future of the company...

I don't want it to happen, but if Yooka-Laylee does not sell well, there are a few different scenarios that could play out. It's difficult to call what will happen without knowing all the variables. We don't know how much money Playtonic have aside already; did they use up the entire Kickstarter budget, and are they still prepared to fund a new game through their own personal savings?

I think, even if Yooka-Laylee 'flops' at retail, Playtonic will still go on to make another game. The game was funded through crowd-sourcing, so they will make a profit -- we just cannot predict how much of a profit. In an ideal world, they would want to accrue at least £2 million in total to match the Kickstarter and be able to independently fund a game with a similar level of polish to Yooka-Laylee. I think that means selling about 60,000 copies, but you need to remember many fans have already backed on the Kickstarter, so will not be buying a copy.

I think Playtonic will need to strive to match, or improve on, Yooka-Laylee's polish. If they have less funds next time and create a game to reflect that, people may review it negatively for being "worse" than their first game. So, if they do not make a large enough profit, it means they may have to start another Kickstarter campaign to fill the difference. In theory, this should not be too hard to achieve, as they will already have made at least some of the funds up from selling Yooka-Laylee.

An alternative source of funding could come from a publisher, but Playtonic are very keen on keeping all creative control over their projects, which I fully support.

In summary, I think it is very likely Playtonic will make another game, but the quality of the next game will depend on how much money they have to put into it. After that, who knows...
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Taylor wrote:...

Sorry if I happen to sound cynical, Taylor, but we still have to see how polished the game truly is. Maybe they'll find a way to maintain a better and stable performance across the board with the next game (maybe shifting over to Unreal Engine 4?). I know it doesn't compare that well, but despite going multi platform, I expected some Nintendo level of polish, ignoring that the N64 titles didn't have the most stable framerate either, but I saw a lot of similarities with Nintendo and this team. Maybe they're missing some studio head(s) like the Stamper bros and maybe I'm just speculating too much before I've got my version of the game.

But I understand the point you're trying to make, let's hope for a success!

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 pm

I'd just read that some YL developers really missbehaved on the Steam forums.
That and something about 'deleting negative comments' (censorship).
If that's true, then I'm really dissapointed...

Can someone elaborate?

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Piet wrote:I'd just read that some YL developers really missbehaved on the Steam forums.

Can someone elaborate?

As far as I know, there's only this Jonno guy from Team17 on the Steam boards. And he apparently mocked the complaining fans...

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Piet wrote:I'd just read that some YL developers really missbehaved on the Steam forums.

Can someone elaborate?

As far as I know, there's only this Jonno guy from Team17 on the Steam boards. And he apparently mocked the complaining fans...

Yep, when I asked them to deliver evidence they mocked forum members they kept showing me this Jonno person and it took me 3 pages to explain that he is not from Playtonic :p I think most verbal people currently at the Steam forums don't really know what they are angry at anymore but they are angry nontheless. They certainly weren't waiting for a middle man argument like mine.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:...

It's not cynical, don't worry. I am well aware that we do not know the quality of Yooka-Laylee, but that wasn't actually relevant to my point. My post referred to the polish that Yooka-Laylee has, but I didn't intend to imply that the polish is necessarily good, because as you quite rightly say, we simply do not know yet. All I meant was that their next game would have to at least match Yooka-Laylee's polish, or it risks being panned as "worse", so I just pointed out that to be a success Playtonic will probably need to have about £2M in their bank by the time they start game #2. That money could be made up of profits, savings, another Kickstarter, or publisher financing.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Taylor wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:...

It's not cynical, don't worry. I am well aware that we do not know the quality of Yooka-Laylee, but that wasn't actually relevant to my point. My post referred to the polish that Yooka-Laylee has, but I didn't intend to imply that the polish is necessarily good, because as you quite rightly say, we simply do not know yet. All I meant was that their next game would have to at least match Yooka-Laylee's polish, or it risks being panned as "worse", so I just pointed out that to be a success Playtonic will probably need to have about £2M in their bank by the time they start game #2. That money could be made up of profits, savings, another Kickstarter, or publisher financing.

Yeah and judging from what we know so far (or what can be criticized), I'll hope for a improved-on sequel with better performance, maybe fewer but more worlds and such. But let's wait and see of course, I guess the game will still be a blast :) Yep, I guess with going multiplatform, they'll have the advantage of a bigger audience (= biggest "install base" and therefore definitely more profit.

Yavga wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

Can someone elaborate?

Yep, when I asked them to deliver evidence they mocked forum members they kept showing me this Jonno person and it took me 3 pages to explain that he is not from Playtonic :p I think most verbal people currently at the Steam forums don't really know what they are angry at anymore but they are angry nontheless. They certainly weren't waiting for a middle man argument like mine.

Yeah and then there's these beautiful people that are spilling this nonsense even further:

... didn't get over the cancellation of the Wii U version and now he's personally offended by the implied opposed political direction of Playtonic... while being the exactly type of person they want to distance themselves from.

When I look at this, I'm happy for Playtonic. They're talented, hilarious and witty people with their hearts at the right spot and I'm looking forward to their successes.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Nonsense is just that though - nonsense. Idiots like the one in that picture go online and spit their make believe nonsense into Twitter and then pat themselves on the back thinking they accomplished something. They didn't. Nobody believes what they wrote, and what they wrote isn't remotely the truth.

The fact of the matter is, YL is going to be an amazing game, a huge hit, and sell tons of copies. A few internet idiots playing make believe will not change the monumental reaction this game is about to receive.
Make the forum great again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”