What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rueckkoppler

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:57 pm

dotEXE wrote:Nonsense is just that though - nonsense. Idiots like the one in that picture go online and spit their make believe nonsense into Twitter and then pat themselves on the back thinking they accomplished something. They didn't. Nobody believes what they wrote, and what they wrote isn't remotely the truth.

The fact of the matter is, YL is going to be an amazing game, a huge hit, and sell tons of copies. A few internet idiots playing make believe will not change the monumental reaction this game is about to receive.

Ironically enough, this guy is most famous for his "Make Believe" video series. Excluding him as a human being, that one was pretty well done and required effort. But I have the feeling that some YouTubers (and TheBitblock is definitely one of them) are totally out of touch with reality. They make a living with "consuming" video games, while reacting biased and childish as hell to stuff they don't like, refusing to understand any reasons that led to the things they don't like.

Luckily, the storm has settled mostly. Now I can't wait for launch (although I can't play the game). But as an "investor" of some kind, I'm very interested on how Yooka-Laylee will perform.
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 pm

dotEXE wrote:Nonsense is just that though - nonsense. Idiots like the one in that picture go online and spit their make believe nonsense into Twitter and then pat themselves on the back thinking they accomplished something. They didn't. Nobody believes what they wrote, and what they wrote isn't remotely the truth.

The fact of the matter is, YL is going to be an amazing game, a huge hit, and sell tons of copies. A few internet idiots playing make believe will not change the monumental reaction this game is about to receive.

I really, really like your enthousiasm I really do. But I expect Yooka Laylee to be a "mild" success myself. In both score and sales judged by all the talk going on around Reddit, Twitter and Facebook and accounting current backlash. Steam. Statistics as well. I sure do hope I'm somewhat wrong though. As I might be a bit bittered while hanging around the Steam forums for too long.
Stop picking your nose Image

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:56 pm

I refuse to let the madhouse that is the steam forums ruin my hype for this game. i have waited, what, 2-3 years?
and then this debacle shows up? im going to play this game on april 11rh,and watch all the praise this game gets. because honestly, i refuse to let controversy spawning THIS soon before launch to ruin my hype.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:03 am

I'm not even going to entertain the idea that Yooka-Laylee might flop harder than [insert celebrity's career here]. No, I have KIRKHOPE! Everything will be just fine. Or maybe not...

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 am

smashbro596 wrote:I refuse to let the madhouse that is the steam forums ruin my hype for this game. i have waited, what, 2-3 years?
and then this debacle shows up? im going to play this game on april 11rh,and watch all the praise this game gets. because honestly, i refuse to let controversy spawning THIS soon before launch to ruin my hype.

Oh don't get me wrong. My hype is ablaze! I can show you I'm the most dedicated fan And I'm willing to defend that claim as fiercely as three jontron fans attempting to hold a political debate for more than 2.000 posts over something that is ultimately easily explained in 3 sentences by pure logic alone XD

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Taylor wrote:[spoiler]
Rueckkoppler wrote:...

Yeah and then there's these beautiful people that are spilling this nonsense even further

Josh Thomas is human garbage. How anyone takes likes him baffles him. He's a huge child.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:19 pm

SpongeTheSquid wrote:Josh Thomas is human garbage. How anyone takes likes him baffles him. He's a huge child.

He is a child. But we all are catering to our inner child in wanting to play this game. This is not an adult game or adult thing by ant stretch of the imagination. Maybe you don't agree with Josh's reviews or chat but at least he is honest and not a paid shill reviewing based on how much companies will pay him like other reviewers are.

Also his content is funny. I don't like him as I would like other youtube channels but I get a laugh out of his content. There's a lot worse out there on youtube than this bloke.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm

@topic

They take the blow and get back in shape pronto, maybe they just lost a round but the game's still afoot. They need to learn from their opponents.

Make the most stupid cash grab clicker game you can think of, for Android and IoS both. Try to be better than Clicker Heroes. It sucks, still is addicting though. Add in a store and let the cash flow in.

Then you can start spending more on real games.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:29 pm

I really don't think they're going to flop at all. TrashTron babies seem to think they're losing hundreds of thousands of sales.

I think they maybe lost in the low hundreds. I for one will be buying a third copy just to spite all the TrashTron babies.
Make the forum great again.

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:37 pm

dotEXE wrote:I really don't think they're going to flop at all. TrashTron babies seem to think they're losing hundreds of thousands of sales.

I think they maybe lost in the low hundreds. I for one will be buying a third copy just to spite all the TrashTron babies.

Eh, the way you talk seems to put into question who the "babies" are.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 am

Let me just say that I'm going to get Yooka-Laylee no matter what, and I'm sure I'll like it... And yet, I want this game to be better. I want Playtonic's first game to not be bogged down with controversy like the delayed Switch release, no physical release for the Switch (yet), and the removal of JonTron. I want a game that doesn't need a day-one patch to be less of a strain to play (less framerate drops; they might not bother some, but they're definitely obstructive to others). Not because that would make it better for me personally (though that would certainly help), but because it would be less damaging to Playtonic's reputation! I've seen people WANTING this game to fail because of one of the aforementioned things, and that sucks because the guys at Playtonic are people who legitimately care about their craft and want to give us what we want, what we've been asking for since Banjo-Tooie! This definitely won't be the last game they'll make, but with how awkward and unfortunate their launch of Yooka-Laylee has been, will anyone bother to pick it up? I mean, I don't think this is as bad as Mighty No. 9 is, since at least Playtonic had the decency to only delay their game once by a few months and NOT sell-out before their game was released, but I at least want someone as beloved and respected as WayForward or Yacht Club Games... Well, here's hoping they re-earn that good will in time.

ontels

Postby ontels » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 am

Don't focus on the negative reactions!
People all over the net have been singing there praises for this game and getting really excited just like we are! There are always going to be people who don't like Playtonic, and they might be very vocal about it, but there are also lots and lots and lots of people who are just so happy that this is happening that it doesn't even matter what some people think. :)
Pagies in cagies

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Sometimes, when the Internet has already made up its mind about something, it won't let it go, for better or for worse. There ARE plenty of people who enjoyed the game, but will that be enough to keep Playtonic going? More importantly, will the initial negative reception affect the sales poorly. Because that's what ultimately at risk here; if the game doesn't sell well, praise and criticism won't matter, since Playtonic won't be able to continue making games if they don't make a profit.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm

EekumBokum202 wrote:Sometimes, when the Internet has already made up its mind about something, it won't let it go, for better or for worse. There ARE plenty of people who enjoyed the game, but will that be enough to keep Playtonic going? More importantly, will the initial negative reception affect the sales poorly. Because that's what ultimately at risk here; if the game doesn't sell well, praise and criticism won't matter, since Playtonic won't be able to continue making games if they don't make a profit.

Well, I believe they already stated they will continue whatsoever :p Perhaps they have other sources of funding as well?

ontels

Postby ontels » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm

EA Games and Ubisoft have overwhelmingly negative receptions in most parts of the internet but there sales figures are still astronomical.
Attitudes on Reddit don't reflect the attitudes of the world.
Pagies in cagies

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Yavga wrote:Well, I believe they already stated they will continue whatsoever :p Perhaps they have other sources of funding as well?

Think they'll work with Team 17 again? I kind of would prefer if they remain independent.

ontels wrote:EA Games and Ubisoft have overwhelmingly negative receptions in most parts of the internet but there sales figures are still astronomical.
Attitudes on Reddit don't reflect the attitudes of the world.

Thing is, EA and Ubisoft are both what are called AAA/Triple-A developers, and have TONS of money to back up their actions despite the negativity that's brought up whenever they're mentioned. Independent developers, on the other hand, don't have that luxury and thus are wholly dependent on the good will of their consumers. It's kind of what happened with Peter Molyneux and his tendency to overhype the games he's making only to dismiss them as garbage while saying his NEXT game will be much better, all while avoiding taking responsibility for his own actions (he once claimed Kickstarter made him say "anything to get more money").

ontels

Postby ontels » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

It's true that EA and Ubisoft can afford to make more mistakes but that's not the point I was making. The point is that despite the bad press there games still sell like hot cakes, online opinion doesn't seem to really effect that much.
Pagies in cagies

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:23 pm

ryanator008 wrote:
dotEXE wrote:I really don't think they're going to flop at all. TrashTron babies seem to think they're losing hundreds of thousands of sales.

Hint: It's the ones crying about a racist's removal from the game on Facebook.
Make the forum great again.

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 pm

dotEXE wrote:
ryanator008 wrote:

Hint: It's the ones crying about a racist's removal from the game on Facebook.

Facebook? So you're friends with them? You should probably block them and exclude them from your whole life, they're just heathens with the wrong opinions.

mistincat

Postby mistincat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:25 pm

What controversy? Some douche who had a bit part in the game got removed because he's a racist? I fail to see the problem.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”