What custom theme can you come up with?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
User avatar
Yavga
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Yavga » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:11 pm

If you were to make a map for Yooka laylee what would you make and how would it play out? What kind of enemies would you include and how will you gather pagies?
Stop picking your nose Image

Pgcrooner
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:20 pm

I know it's a bit Generic, but I LOVE horror/monster themed worlds like mad monster mansion.

"Grave Ghoulie Grove"

it would have your stereotypical skeletons and ghouls and ghosts, bats, bouncy pumpkin enemies.

A small village on the bottom with a pathway that leads up to a creepy manor with a frankenstien like laboratory at the bottom XD

User avatar
Gorjo
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Gorjo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 pm

A movie studio! Each section would be a set for a different movie genre, and to get pagies or other relevant items you would have to do tasks that help finishing the movies. A giant monster movie, for example, could have Yooka playing totally-not-Godzilla and destroying some building miniatures (always between the range of the camera). I can totally see Trowzer as an excentric filmaker with a french hat.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Love both of your suggestions. I always loved the horror themed / creepy stuff in otherwise happy, colourful games. The movie park world could be a crazy medley of themes, surprising situations and gameplay ideas altogether.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Scrubber » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:17 pm

A human house/mansion.

Enemies would be humans.
Each room would have its different hazards:
Kitchen - Ovens, flames, knives.
Living room - Dog
Bedroom - cats
Bathroom- Water and electricity
Garage - tools and fumes
Attic - Bugs and sharp antiques
Kids room - toys with weapons
Garden - Lawn mower and wild animals

Pgcrooner
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

what if they get swallowed by a giant monster and the world is it's insides :lol:

User avatar
BanjoThreeie
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby BanjoThreeie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 am

Scrubber wrote:A human house/mansion.

Enemies would be humans.
Each room would have its different hazards:
Kitchen - Ovens, flames, knives.
Living room - Dog
Bedroom - cats
Bathroom- Water and electricity
Garage - tools and fumes
Attic - Bugs and sharp antiques
Kids room - toys with weapons
Garden - Lawn mower and wild animals


Reminds me of the first level from he Toy Story 2 game. Humans might not be a good idea, though. We've seen how they look in Super Mario Odyssey. :lol:

User avatar
ZeroJanitor
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Contact:

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby ZeroJanitor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 am

^the Toy Story 2 game was really cool, i think it'd be cool to see that concept of "mundane area but it's huge/you're small". Mad Monster Mansion in BK had a couple areas like that, with the inside of the mansion and the church, but a whole level around that theme would be rad.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Scrubber » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:07 am

BanjoThreeie wrote:
Scrubber wrote:A human house/mansion.

Enemies would be humans.
Each room would have its different hazards:
Kitchen - Ovens, flames, knives.
Living room - Dog
Bedroom - cats
Bathroom- Water and electricity
Garage - tools and fumes
Attic - Bugs and sharp antiques
Kids room - toys with weapons
Garden - Lawn mower and wild animals


Reminds me of the first level from he Toy Story 2 game. Humans might not be a good idea, though. We've seen how they look in Super Mario Odyssey. :lol:
The humans would to scale, oversized and like giants to a reptile and a bat. And I'm thinking they don't appear often but if they do you f****** hide or run! Or maybe you could use them to your advantage and climb up them for a better vantage point. But if you get caught it's death by sweeping brush.

Pgcrooner
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 pm

You know, we never got a space themed world in the old B-K games.

I mean we had witchyworld which had a SECTION. Imagine haVing a world in a giant space ship and you need a transformation to go outside in space?

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Scrubber » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:You know, we never got a space themed world in the old B-K games.

I mean we had witchyworld which had a SECTION. Imagine haVing a world in a giant space ship and you need a transformation to go outside in space?

After Terrarium of Terror I never want to see a space world again.

Pgcrooner
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:You know, we never got a space themed world in the old B-K games.

I mean we had witchyworld which had a SECTION. Imagine haVing a world in a giant space ship and you need a transformation to go outside in space?

After Terrarium of Terror I never want to see a space world again.


Lol XD

I hate that world too. I forgot about that one.

-this one would involve being in a big ship have a small planetoid with collectables and 2 pagies

-and a transformation to leave to the outer hull and get more collectables.

User avatar
DanielGarza
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:45 am
Contact:

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby DanielGarza » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:42 pm

Lumpy Dump Land, A poluted island/landfill. You can visit the Happy Fish Cannery, a sand castle and the nest where the evil seagull protects a secret, Here is a sketch concept of Lucky the depressed golden fish, Y and L would talk to him and help doing some stuff inside the Cannery, he will give the pagies as a reward.
Image

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 am

DanielGarza wrote:Lumpy Dump Land, A poluted island/landfill. You can visit the Happy Fish Cannery, a sand castle and the nest where the evil seagull protects a secret, Here is a sketch concept of Lucky the depressed golden fish, Y and L would talk to him and help doing some stuff inside the Cannery, he will give the pagies as a reward.


This is really creative! I love the artwork and the whole concept behind the level; it could fit right into 'Tooka-Laylee'! :)
Taylonic Ltd.

Spydr Webz
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Spydr Webz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:22 am

I love this thread! Great ideas!



There's a lot of ideas surrounding the 'haunted' theme, probably because you can take almost any other theme and give it a haunted twist. I would do a 'haunted shipwreck cavern,' basically an undersea cave where various shipwrecks have somehow occurred.

Possible names: Ghoulish Galleons? Ghoulish Grotto? Ghoulish Galleon Grotto?
    -Enemies include pirate-themed skeletons and spirits.
    -The level begins in a cave. Sunlight peers from a hole above. The cave descends into a water-filled tunnel, which opens up into a much larger cavern filled with shipwrecks of various sizes. The larger cavern leads to other areas.
    -When the world is expanded, the water level rises, giving Yooka and Laylee access to a ledge that was previously out of reach. A tunnel on the ledge leads into a chamber filled with lost treasure, including a key that gives the pair access to the largest shipwreck in the main cavern, which provides a massive interior to explore.
    -Deep within the ship is the world's boss, a massive skeletal ghost that resembles a pirate captain and carried a blunderbuss. His name? The "Blunderbuss Banshee."



A world that involves time travel would be cool as well. You'd start in the future, which is overrun by baddies led by the world's boss. You meet a character who is constructing a time machine in order to go back in time and find a way to stop the boss from taking power. By expanding the world, the character finally finishes the time machine and Yooka and Laylee are allowed to travel between the past and the future. Same world layout, but there are different Pagie challenges and the boss can be defeated. Some challenges in the future cannot be unlocked until challenges in the past have been completed (for example, a character in the past might be under attack by some baddies. If Yooka and Laylee save him, he will show up again in the future with a new task. Otherwise, he won't be present, likely "killed" by the baddies in the past.

I think that would be a unique and interesting way to "expand" a world.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby ShanPen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 am

Spydr Webz wrote:There's a lot of ideas surrounding the 'haunted' theme, probably because you can take almost any other theme and give it a haunted twist. I would do a 'haunted shipwreck cavern,' basically an undersea cave where various shipwrecks have somehow occurred.


Or add aliens to it to make it a Bermuda Triangle theme. There used to be a Bermuda Triangle ride at a water park in my country that was themed like that where your boat went into a water cavern under/inside a volcano, and inside were shipwrecks and downed planes, and then later on your boat takes you into an area that the aliens had turned into a sort of laboratory where they had various humans they'd captured from the ship/plane wrecks in stasis chambers to study them. Could maybe make for a good game level?

User avatar
DarkTone
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:30 am

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby DarkTone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Something to break the 4th wall. Maybe Playtonic studios.

Pokemaniac Dan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: What custom theme can you come up with?

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 pm

I love this thread. Great ideas all around.

Pgcrooner wrote:what if they get swallowed by a giant monster and the world is it's insides :lol:


This one would be really interesting. Almost like the BT section in Jolly Rogers Lagoon when you get to go inside the fish to rescue Merry Maggie.

Although, this would also be very similar to Clanker's Cavern.

I think considering the worlds come from Grand Tomes, I would like to see a story (or world) focused on medieval times with castles, dragons, etc. It would help provide origin for the pig characters that we see in Tribalstack Tropics. I do wonder what their story is and why they are dressed the way they are in a tropic region. Maybe they got lost? Would kinda be like how Gobi mentioned that he was leaving for the lava world, and eventually we find where he disappeared to. This would also allow Shovel Knight to pop up again. And while a dragon boss would be cool, maybe for a twist, the dragon is the good guy and the boss would actual be a knight and we have to save the dragon from being killed.

Or perhaps a western world. Don't think something like that has been done in the Banjo games (even though a western world was supposed to be in N&B). Would be cool to see something like that done.


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron