N64 graphics

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
mickeythelegend
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am
Contact:

N64 graphics

Postby mickeythelegend » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Hey guys. I think i can recall one of the stretch goals being N64 graphics at the press of a button. Maybe I'm dreaming? There hasn't been much i have seen on this since. Anyone got any updates? Can't wait for the game :D
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

User avatar
Yoshi
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 pm

As far as I know you can buy the N64 graphics in the game for quite a hefty (in-game) price. So you will not be able to play the full game in N64 visuals, at least on the first run. Should N64 visuals actually improve framerate, I'd definitely go for a second round in N64 visuals though.

mickeythelegend
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby mickeythelegend » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:26 pm

That's cool. I think i will be the same. I'm kind of happy to wait for the Switch launch date too. So much Zelda still to play as much as I really want Yooka-Laylee :ugeek:
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

User avatar
Yavga
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Yavga » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:26 pm

mickeythelegend wrote:Hey guys. I think i can recall one of the stretch goals being N64 graphics at the press of a button. Maybe I'm dreaming? There hasn't been much i have seen on this since. Anyone got any updates? Can't wait for the game :D


Vendi (an in game npc-store) sells the option for in-game currency ;)
Stop picking your nose Image

mickeythelegend
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby mickeythelegend » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Thank you :D so glad to hear that. I should have probably known that but I'm skipping a lot of news about Yooka-Laylee to avoid as many spoilers as i can. Since after the first trailer it has felt like I am watching someone play through the game lol. :geek:
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 am

I'm not sure if it's currently possible to unlock the N64 graphics tonic from Vendi. The tonic says "back in stock soon...", while the others give an achievement-style mission to unlock them. Perhaps it has been omitted from the review copy of the game to avoid spoilers, or maybe it's just an extremely hard achievement.

Maybe something to do with Rextro...?
Taylonic Ltd.

User avatar
Zita
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:37 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Zita » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:24 pm

As far as I know the Kickstarter stated something about N64 Shaders, NOT N64 graphics!
I couldn't really say how it will affect the game graphics specifically, but I think it's important to note that we won't get the option to switch to low-poly graphics.
However, I've also been wondering about how we will be able to access this feature, I always thought it might be an unlockable for beating the game that can be turned on and off in the settings menu. Didn't even occur to me that it might be through one of Vendis tonics. :P
Image
Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

Avatar by Aunum ♥

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Zita wrote:As far as I know the Kickstarter stated something about N64 Shaders, NOT N64 graphics!
I couldn't really say how it will affect the game graphics specifically, but I think it's important to note that we won't get the option to switch to low-poly graphics.
However, I've also been wondering about how we will be able to access this feature, I always thought it might be an unlockable for beating the game that can be turned on and off in the settings menu. Didn't even occur to me that it might be through one of Vendis tonics. :P


If it's not low poly models, what could it possibly be to resemble anything N64-like? Did they rule it out officially? I can't think of much else they could really do and I'm confused that people keep saying that...

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:If it's not low poly models, what could it possibly be to resemble anything N64-like? Did they rule it out officially? I can't think of much else they could really do and I'm confused that people keep saying that...


I'm not sure what to expect, but I doubt it will be low-poly models. Do you realise how long it would take? It's essentially recreating the entire game from scratch, designing everything you see again, but 'worse', from characters to the world to the collectables. It is a logistical nightmare.

A 'shader' probably involves lighting. I guess they could remove the dynamic lighting and shadows, but other than that, I really have no idea what they are going to do.
Taylonic Ltd.

smashbro596
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 am

Re: N64 graphics

Postby smashbro596 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:53 pm

once i unlock it, i'm never turning it off <3
i mean, the n64 looks dated now, but a lot of games on there still have a lot of visual charm to me.

mickeythelegend
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby mickeythelegend » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Intereting about the shaders vs polygons. I can't imagine the difference at the moment. Hopefully it turns out true to likeness.
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

Spydr Webz
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Spydr Webz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't feel like finding it right now, but if I recall correctly, I vaguely remember a Playtonic team member clarifying somewhere that the "N64 graphics" options is simply a shader, NOT a feature that will alter the actual graphics (character models, items, objects, etc.) in any way. Don't expect low-poly graphics, because I sincerely doubt that's what we will be getting. As stated by Taylor above, that would create a lot of extra work for the team.

Maybe a member of Playtonic who happens to view this thread can clarify that for us again, if possible. I feel like too many people are expecting low-poly graphics... those people will be sorely disappointed when the game does not meet those expectations.

That being said, it'd be a cool DLC feature, or perhaps something to consider for the next game. N64-style music would also be a cool DLC package. Grant has said in a tweet that such a thing is definitely possible, but improbable at this point in development.

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:26 pm

I've recently heard that this shader will be coming in a later patch and that we will be hearing more about it from a Kickstarter update in the not so distant future.
Taylonic Ltd.

User avatar
DanielGarza
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:45 am
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby DanielGarza » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:56 am

What about Level of Detail? For a complex scene like YL levels, is a smart decision to make multiple variations of the same game asset, lowpoly versions of every asset that will represent the objects in the mid-high distance. That's a real memory saver for gamedev, also a way to make this n64 shader work, You could write only a code that deactivates the high poly versions of the assets and look like a N64 game.

mickeythelegend
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: N64 graphics

Postby mickeythelegend » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Is it bad that I hope for a graphical N64 style game and perhaps setting the limitations of it such as the size of the levels i.e. the structure and general size of Banjo levels? I would love a game like that but allowing the developers the freedom of todays memory so the likes of the likes of music doesn't necessarily need to be squeezed hard or textures to be used as carefully? Does that make sense? Although I don't really mind if it is a sequel to Yooka or not
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

Spydr Webz
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Spydr Webz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 am

mickeythelegend wrote:Is it bad that I hope for a graphical N64 style game and perhaps setting the limitations of it such as the size of the levels i.e. the structure and general size of Banjo levels? I would love a game like that but allowing the developers the freedom of todays memory so the likes of the likes of music doesn't necessarily need to be squeezed hard or textures to be used as carefully? Does that make sense? Although I don't really mind if it is a sequel to Yooka or not


That would be cool, and I guess I can see how it would be possible. But I wouldn't expect it for this game. Maybe a sequel.

My main desire is for N64 style music more tha graphics.

smashbro596
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 am

Re: N64 graphics

Postby smashbro596 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 am

i think with the recent update that n64 mode is delayed.

wacky ducky
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: N64 graphics

Postby wacky ducky » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 pm

It looks more like a game from 2005 on low settings than like a N64 game to be honest.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: N64 graphics

Postby ShanPen » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:34 am

I think Playtonic might have caused issues for themselves (such as a future barrage of complaints) by naming it the "64-bit Tonic" when the Kickstarter stretch goal said it would be a N64 shader mode, not N64 graphics.

I think now a lot of people will be expecting the low-poly N64 graphics but I don't think that's what Playtonic ever planned because it would be a lot of work, I think they just planned to play with the colours, ie the shading.

But I could be wrong and they might surprise us with low-poly graphics.

Piet
Posts: 729
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: N64 graphics

Postby Piet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 am

ShanPen wrote:I think Playtonic might have caused issues for themselves (such as a future barrage of complaints) by naming it the "64-bit Tonic" when the Kickstarter stretch goal said it would be a N64 shader mode, not N64 graphics.

I think now a lot of people will be expecting the low-poly N64 graphics but I don't think that's what Playtonic ever planned because it would be a lot of work, I think they just planned to play with the colours, ie the shading.

But I could be wrong and they might surprise us with low-poly graphics.

I think that you are right and that their wording was... unfortunate... :(


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests