GameXplain - Yooka-Laylee Discussion (some gameplay spoilers)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

GameXplain - Yooka-Laylee Discussion (some gameplay spoilers)

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Andre Segers, Derrick Bitner, and Ash Paulsen of GameXplain all discuss their experiences with Yooka-Laylee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmtVXLjMZh4

Also, as an added bonus, a frustrated Derrick recently said this about a particular puzzle on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AnimatedCritic/stat ... 7620981761

https://twitter.com/BitnerdGX/status/851095116722966529

GX Fan (Samuel): "Watching the Yooka-Laylee discussion,to make the bubbles in the hot tub, swim in the water and use your bubbled form!"

Derrick: "I did do that!"

GX Fan: "You just spam the button like three times. I accidentally did it immediately so I was lucky I figured it out!"

Derrick: "This proves AGAIN how poorly communicated some of the Yooka-Laylee challenges are. This is Zelda CDi levels of stupidity."

Ouch! Derrick's usually the calmer, more accepting member of GameXplain, so to see him THIS frustrated with some particular challenges is rather shocking... Though if you're thinking he hates the game, don't worry.

Other GX Fan (TheDerpGames): "Do you still like the game though? I'm considering buying it."

Derrick: "There are moments where the game is a lot of fun to play. But then these moments drag it down hard."

Other GX Fan: "Would you recommend it though?"

Derrick: "If you like Banjo and are prepared for certain frustrations, give it a shot."

All-in-all, I once again hope PlayTonic games listens to this, so they can learn in future games they make... and also make fun of their past mistakes like they always do. :P
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

travisschultz95

Re: GameXplain - Yooka-Laylee Discussion (some gameplay spoilers)

Postby travisschultz95 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:55 pm

I wonder if he tried using the fart bubble move for the hot tub, that would have been my first guess.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:42 am

Let me just add that I'm going to get Yooka-Laylee no matter what, and I'm sure I'll like it... And yet, I want this game to be better. I want Playtonic's first game to not be bogged down with controversy like the delayed Switch release, no physical release for the Switch (yet), and the removal of JonTron. I want a game that doesn't need a day-one patch to be less of a strain to play (less framerate drops; they might not bother some, but they're definitely obstructive to others). Not because that would make it better for me personally (though that would certainly help), but because it would be less damaging to Playtonic's reputation! I've seen people WANTING this game to fail because of one of the aforementioned things, and that sucks because these are people who legitimately care about their craft and want to give us what we want, what we've been asking for since Banjo-Tooie! This definitely won't be the last game they'll make, but with how awkward and unfortunate their launch of Yooka-Laylee has been, will anyone bother to pick it up? I mean, I don't think this is as bad as Mighty No. 9 is, since at least Playtonic had the decency to only delay their game once by a few months and NOT sell-out before their game was released, but I at least want someone as beloved and respected as WayForward or Yacht Club Games... Well, here's hoping they re-earn that good will in time.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am

I'll admit: watched the video and it was brutal!
The impressions were frustrated, ambivalent, and overall lukewarm at best... and coming Gamexplain. These three reviewers are nestled firmly within this games target demographic. They have an audience of mostly Nintendo fans with whom they've developed rapport, and for whom they take their recommendationations not too trivially!
I know Andres gave Tropical Freeze a glowing, spot-on review. And as they say in the video that it's unusual for them all three to play a game and discuss it prior to release, they did it for Yooka out of interest in the title!

My big takeaway from Derrick is to not 100 percent each world one by one. Some challenges might be best reapproached

EekumBokum-- Agreed. It's not just about us enjoying the game (few doubts there) but because we want these folks at Platonic to be successful! In hindsight, this hasn't been a great launch for numerous reasons; looking back makes one wish they could do the launch over and maybe delay a few months.

I think big picture-wise it's small potatoes, but still not a pleasant thing right now

ontels

Postby ontels » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 am

If these guys are mostly invested in Nintendo stuff then they might be salty because of the whole Wii U/Switch thing. XD
Pagies in cagies

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:45 am

I remember this hot tub challenge. I figured it out relatively quickly; he needed bubbles and I had a bubble move, so I scattered bubbles in the water because I knew one bubble alone does not simulate a hot tub. I mean, to me it's very logical. I don't think you can complain about being forced to think creatively for one pagie out of 145.
Taylonic Ltd.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm

ontels wrote:If these guys are mostly invested in Nintendo stuff then they might be salty because of the whole Wii U/Switch thing. XD

The thing about GameXplain is that they're not blind fanboys; they may focus on Nintendo stuff but that's mostly circumstantial. Andre is mostly a Nintendo guy, and while Derrick has a history with the PlayStation systems, he's also invested in Nintendo as well. Not sure about Ash's background, but either way, they are all realists about how the games industry works, and all of them agree that the Wii U was a dying system and it's better for Playtonic in terms of sales to "switch" to the Switch. They don't even seem to mind or care that there isn't a physical version for the Switch announced, most likely because hey, at least they're getting it.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 pm

gameXplain are just cherry picking out parts of the game they can purposely make look bad. They reside to let up on their hatred of this game. I am sure most people, gameXplain also get the bubble thing to work perfectly. But they have to intentionally mess it up and lie about it so they can stick to their YL hating narrative.

Quite a few people have been blocked from posting on gameXplain's Facebook page because they spoke up about this.

The facts are - gameXplain hate Yooka-Laylee. That is not even wrong. Not everyone will like every game.
The wrong part is that gameXplain lie about this and make up game issues to harm the sales of Yooka-Laylee instead of being honest and saying "We at gameXplain do not like Yooka-Laylee". It is this shameless dishonesty from gameXplain that is wrong and unacceptable.

Saying I hate the game over and over for 15 minutes using lies to back up their claims does not make their final sentence of liking the game (in that review) believable. It only exposes gameXplain as the hypocrites they truly are.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:46 pm

What happens if you're playing the game and also see some of these issues as such? Will you lie about it to fit your narrative? They certainly have a point when they're talking about these "issues", the real question is only whether you're considering these things as issues as well or whether it's fine with you. I think I'll notice what they're moaning about, but it won't bug me as much, so I will be fine playing the game.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 pm

the8thark wrote:gameXplain are just cherry picking out parts of the game they can purposely make look bad. They reside to let up on their hatred of this game. I am sure most people, gameXplain also get the bubble thing to work perfectly. But they have to intentionally mess it up and lie about it so they can stick to their YL hating narrative.

Quite a few people have been blocked from posting on gameXplain's Facebook page because they spoke up about this.

The facts are - gameXplain hate Yooka-Laylee. That is not even wrong. Not everyone will like every game.
The wrong part is that gameXplain lie about this and make up game issues to harm the sales of Yooka-Laylee instead of being honest and saying "We at gameXplain do not like Yooka-Laylee". It is this shameless dishonesty from gameXplain that is wrong and unacceptable.

Saying I hate the game over and over for 15 minutes using lies to back up their claims does not make their final sentence of liking the game (in that review) believable. It only exposes gameXplain as the hypocrites they truly are.

You complain about cherry picking and proceed to do so yourself. You can enjoy something very much and still be able to point out flaws and acknowledge fault. It's we improve things. I can't speak for Yooka Laylee yet, but Banjo Tooie is still one of my favorite games. I can still acknowledge that the frame rate problems in Hailfire Peaks are intrusive and frustrating. Still love the game though.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:21 pm

travisschultz95 wrote:You complain about cherry picking and proceed to do so yourself. You can enjoy something very much and still be able to point out flaws and acknowledge fault. It's we improve things. I can't speak for Yooka Laylee yet, but Banjo Tooie is still one of my favorite games. I can still acknowledge that the frame rate problems in Hailfire Peaks are intrusive and frustrating. Still love the game though.

^THIS! THANK YOU!!! Geez...

Rueckkoppler wrote:What happens if you're playing the game and also see some of these issues as such? Will you lie about it to fit your narrative? They certainly have a point when they're talking about these "issues", the real question is only whether you're considering these things as issues as well or whether it's fine with you. I think I'll notice what they're moaning about, but it won't bug me as much, so I will be fine playing the game.

I think that this is ultimately what it comes down to and what Ash even alludes to in the discussion video; everyone is going to have their own experience with this game and how much this or that thing bothers someone is dependent on the player.

ontels

Postby ontels » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I think what people are getting angry about is not that these people didn't like the game but that because they didn't like the game other people are going to assume that it's bad and not give it a chance.

And lets be honest that score is to low. I don't care how much you don't like the genre, games only get scores that low if they are broken or some of the worst games made.
Pagies in cagies

mistincat

Postby mistincat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:23 pm

I tried to watch that GameXplain video, but that guy talks faster than lightning and my ears, at my age just can't keep up.

Wow, slow it down a bit there kiddo..

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 pm

mistincat wrote:I tried to watch that GameXplain video, but that guy talks faster than lightning and my ears, at my age just can't keep up.

Wow, slow it down a bit there kiddo..

Haha yeah, especially André is talking in fluent double time. But I got used to that.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”