[SPOILERS] Galactic Girl (Playtonic's Next Game?)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Would you like to see this character star in her own game?

Yes
63%
No
26%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 19

Taylor

[SPOILERS] Galactic Girl (Playtonic's Next Game?)

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Jet Force Gemini 'spiritual successor'?

Galactic Girl is a placeholder name I've given her, mainly to avoid a spoiler-heavy title. Her real name has not been identified, which I find odd considering most NPCs, even minor ones like the trolleys in Moodymaze Marsh, have names in Yooka-Laylee. She is quite a significant character, all things considered...

• She looks completely different to all other characters in the game, being mostly human in appearance.
  • She has automatic dialogue when you enter the expanded version of the world, asking you to find her.
  • Her mission has one of the most extravagant cut-scenes in the game: a planet exploding and dropping its ring below, permanently changing the level's environment. Laylee also has an automatic voice line when approaching the detonation button; I don't recall many other challenges having a voice line triggered while still in control of Yooka, further making this challenge stand out -- it's quite 'cinematic'.

She is clearly different; special, even. Why no name? What's with the mystery? I believe she will star in an upcoming game and here's why...

--

Unclear alignment

Gavin Price (Playtonic) wrote:All the characters you meet, even NPCs in Yooka-Laylee, some of them are lined up to star in their own games in future. They're not necessarily always going to get on, and who's good, who's bad, might not be quite so clear cut.

She certainly has a dubious alignment. Is she good, or bad? Yooka isn't sure. I cannot think of a more fitting character than her to represent the whole grey area alignment thing referred to by Gavin in the quote above (source). The fact Gavin said this during the topic of Playtonic's future games gives weight to the hypothesis that she will feature in an upcoming game.

My feeling is that she is good at heart, but she's not going to have any remorse blowing the head off an enemy Blamphibian to get hold of a priceless artefact, nor regret keeping the whole truth from people she meets (e.g. Yooka and Laylee) in order to get what she wants.

--

Abilities

'EMP' Ray:

After typing into the panel on her wrist, she was able to deactivate the force field, allowing Yooka to use the warp tunnel.

We also saw that she was able to weaken force fields from red to yellow when first meeting her.

Shield:

She mentions a shield (to protect herself from the force fields); I imagine this works similar to Laylee's bubble shield, considering they both have the same effect.

Speculative:
  • The red eye visor could host an array of abilities; e.g. seeing invisible objects, night vision etc.
  • The panel on her wrist, used to deactivate the force field for Yooka, could also function in other ways; e.g. open spaceship doors, disable robotic enemies, activate her shield etc.
  • The grenades(?) around her waist could work as explosives and smoke screens etc.
  • Give her a laser gun, of course.
  • She has a 'go-getter' attitude for adventuring and I expect general athleticism and agility related abilities to go with this.

--

The only heroes?

Maybe you will be recognising her on the box art in the near future, Laylee...

Hypothesis: Due to everything mentioned in this topic, I believe she will star in her own adventure game similar to Jet Force Gemini/Star Fox 64; a game slightly darker than Yooka-Laylee, but still child-friendly. The game would likely involve travelling to planets, carrying out missions, retrieving artefacts, and shooting Blamphibians and other alien creatures. Her dialogue also mentions 'stealing planets' and a Blamphibian 'secret weapon' which has potential to be expanded on in her game. I imagine more of a 'cinematic' experience than Yooka-Laylee delivers -- story-driven and mission-based with awesome cut-scenes happening in space and on alien worlds.

Alternatively, I could also see her piloting a small spaceship in a futuristic 'kart' racer, but I think her character is much better suited to an action/adventure game because of her great potential for many varied abilities.

Fun fact: Gavin Price's first job at Rare was QA testing Jet Force Gemini. Must hold a special place in his heart, wouldn't you say...

--

What do you think? Would you like to see this character star in her own game? Are there any other genres you can imagine this character in? Would you prefer a space adventure game over, say, a kart racer? Discuss! :)
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Re: [SPOILERS] Galactic Girl (Playtonic's Next Game?)

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Would I prefer an adventure game over a kart racer? Yes.

I haven't come across this character as I've not been playing long. I haven't read through your post to avoid spoilers but I'd play the suggested game yeah!

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I didn't read the post because I don't want to be spoiled, but as far as the next spiritual successor game? Absolutely!
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:25 pm

I didn't read the top post, but the title itself is a spoiler :(
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:29 pm

dotEXE wrote:I didn't read the top post, but the title itself is a spoiler :(

There is no character in Yooka-Laylee called Galactic Girl, and the 'next game' bit is purely speculation.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Jet force gemini lost sequel, yes please.
Another wet dream! Why are all past rareware games so awesome again?
Stop picking your nose Image

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:17 pm

That character design looks pretty awesome. I'd love for her to be the star of Playtonic's next game and for it to be a scifi third person shooter like Jet Force Gemini!

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm

I would prefer Yooka-Laylee 2, especially since there is absolutely no scarcity of third person shooters. Even using a comic style, Insomniac is doing basically nothing else. If they make a game starring her, I hope it is not a JFG sequel.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Taylor wrote:
dotEXE wrote:I didn't read the top post, but the title itself is a spoiler :(

There is no character in Yooka-Laylee called Galactic Girl, and the 'next game' bit is purely speculation.

Unspoiled I remain then! I wouldn't have really blamed you even if that was a character. I'm dancing around landmines even being near the forum right now.
Make the forum great again.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Had to avoid this topic until I got beyond this point in the game. Now that I've finished world 5, here's my take.

I agree with what you've said, and feel like she will definitely pop up in her own type of game. I also think that something distinguishes her apart from the other characters in the game in that she's unique. Four of the worlds have the same clone characters which doesn't make any of them stand out as special (the snowmen, shopping carts, slot machine, frogs). This "Galactic Girl" definitely stands out as a result.

I wouldn't mind exploring her story and origins and seeing what she meant by all she was saying. Awesome sleuthing, btw!

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 pm

i am not a fan of game like jet gemini.. honestly i would be ready anytime to give money to get a yooka-laylee 2 or kart racer but not jet gemini..

but anyway i got no problem if they do this game.. but i don't think i will buy it :(

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 pm

As neat as it is, I think after Yooka-Laylee it's time for Playtonic to branch out further beyond spiritual successors and try something wholly new. This or the kart racer idea would still be fun though.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Now that I've finally beaten the game, I can safely say that Playtonic is DEFINITELY building up something with this lady and Blamphibians. I knew OF this mysterious character before I expanded world 5 and got to her, but I didn't know fully who she was and what she'd say...

I remember saying she'd be perfect for a Jet Force Gemini spiritual successor, but her attitude about attacking the Blamphibians... Well, it's kind of morally questionable and gray, like Taylor said.

We also don't see much of the Blamphibians; two of them are friendly NPCs just minding their own business and doing their thing, fishing for stars and playing mini-golf. The third is clearly all about this supposed "war" that I think the other character is apart of, but he's so scrawny that I can't help but feel like the Blmaphibians are the underdog in this battle. That being said, they seem like the perfect kind of "cannon fodder" for a game to blast bad guys, you know?

So much like Yooka-Laylee's ending, this "Galactic Girl"'s story is one that begs to be expanded upon, and I think we'll need more than a few Pagies to get that done.
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 pm

I'd love to see a Galactic Girl game, possibly in the style of Ratchet & Clank, but first I want to see Tooka Laylee.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”