Character Voices

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Omega

Re: Character Voices

Postby Omega » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm

I really liked how the voices sounded. Had no problem with it.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Hopix wrote:
Scrubber wrote:

Shouldn't trowzer be hissing instead of saying "myar myar myar"?
Shouldn't the duck be quacking?
Shouldn't capital be be buzzing?
Shouldn't quills be making a scribbling pen sound?
Shouldn't pagies be making either a golden sparkly noise or alternatively a noise resembling paper?

No is the simple answer. It is an artistic and style choice.

Shouldn't Banjo make a growling sound instead of going "guh guh-ha"?
Shouldn't Bottles make the sound of dirt being shoved around instead of whatever you call what he does?
Shouldn't Jiggies make the sound of gold clanking instead of a high-pitched squeak?
Shouldn't feathers make another sound instead of an instrument?
Souldn't Cheato make a sparkling sound, or the sound of paper, instead of his growling?

Well, I don't really care, to be honest. But critizising the fact that some YL characters don't make the sound you'd typically assign to them while turning a blind eye towards the numerous occasions at which BK did this is simply inconsistent. I'm totally fine with critizising YL, in fact I have done it a lot myself, but this seems unfair.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue May 02, 2017 4:32 am

FailureFactory wrote:
Scrubber wrote:
Hopix wrote:
No is the simple answer. It is an artistic and style choice.

Shouldn't Banjo make a growling sound instead of going "guh guh-ha"?
Shouldn't Bottles make the sound of dirt being shoved around instead of whatever you call what he does?
Shouldn't Jiggies make the sound of gold clanking instead of a high-pitched squeak?
Shouldn't feathers make another sound instead of an instrument?
Souldn't Cheato make a sparkling sound, or the sound of paper, instead of his growling?

Well, I don't really care, to be honest. But critizising the fact that some YL characters don't make the sound you'd typically assign to them while turning a blind eye towards the numerous occasions at which BK did this is simply inconsistent. I'm totally fine with critizising YL, in fact I have done it a lot myself, but this seems unfair.

I can't judge until I played the game eventually, but you made a point right there. It's maybe not even about the characters sounding like the animals they're inspired of. At least not the versions from the real world, since they make some sense in their cartoony version. For example, cheato is a(n old) book with a face. No wonder he sounds wise and old. Cartoon bears tend to be derpy, so Banjos "ur, ur" makes sense as well. But it's really hard to judge, since these games are so old and everything about them feels perfectly fitting.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”