Character Voices

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Scrubber

Character Voices

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm really annoyed how little effort or thought went into voicing these characters.

The voices (particularly Yooka, Capital B, Trowzer) are unbearably annoying to the point where I'm having to skip the dialogue. I URGE playtonic to please add "voice volume" to join music volume and effects volume In the menu. Would this be possible at all? It would be perfect if we could all tailor it to our own preferences , personally they are to loud for me and they need turning down, others might want to mute them completely.

In Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie the voices matched their characters and it just worked so well. In Yooka Laylee the team have literally all taken turns talking daft nonsense into a microphone, they've put these voices into a hat and just randomly assigned them to any character.
Shouldn't trowzer be hissing instead of saying "myar myar myar"?
Shouldn't the duck be quacking?
Shouldn't capital be be buzzing?
Shouldn't quills be making a scribbling pen sound?
Shouldn't pagies be making either a golden sparkly noise or alternatively a noise resembling paper?

I know it's a real issue because not only has it been mentioned in most reviews but when I booted the game up yesterday, Capital b had been talking no longer than 15 seconds before my Mrs said "that's well annoying" and left the room. She's never done this while I've been playing Banjo games.

Taylor

Re: Character Voices

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Simply because of how 'controversial' the mumbling is, I agree that some sort of voice volume bar would be nice.

However, I disagree that the mumbles in Yooka-Laylee are random. Trowzer, for example, has an obvious 'wise guy' wheeler-dealer voice -- and he does hiss, not in his voice, but when you stand next to his character model and he sticks out his tongue. You are standing next to him 99% of the time you speak to him, so you do get hissing in with his voice effect.

If Capital B buzzed, I would probably think it was ridiculous. His voice resembles a heartless corporate boss, which makes sense to me.

The one voice that I don't particularly like is Clara's, the skeleton girl, because it is a hollow xylophone noise, which is ironically what you would expect a skeleton to sound like. I actually prefer it when Playtonic uses voices that represent the characterisation, as with Trowzer and Capital B, rather than their species or object.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I just came across her and was pleasantly surprised that she sounded like hollow bones being knocked together. I also came across a pig that oinked. Maybe I judged a little harshly and maybe some are tailored to the character.
I still stand by what I said about Yooka capital and trowzer.

ontels

Postby ontels » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Also I think your memory of Banjo-Kazooie may be a little off. I distinctly remember a certain pirate hippopotamus that literally belched all of his lines lol
Pagies in cagies

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:20 pm

How did you get this far into the Kickstarter and not know this was coming XD it was a huge part of the appeal of Banjo Kazooie.
Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 pm

dotEXE wrote:How did you get this far into the Kickstarter and not know this was coming XD it was a huge part of the appeal of Banjo Kazooie.

You didn't read my post then.

ontels wrote:Also I think your memory of Banjo-Kazooie may be a little off. I distinctly remember a certain pirate hippopotamus that literally belched all of his lines lol

Hippos are known to be flatulent.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Out of their mouth?

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:29 am

LOVE.'EM.!

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 am

I'm really not able to fathom how people are finding these voices annoying. I could listen to all of them all day long. They aren't annoying in the slightest.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm loving them all so far, especially Dr. Quack. It must have been tempting to give Capital B a buzzing noise but I like what they went with.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 pm

I haven't played the game yet, but just by the videos that I have seen, none of the voices sound that obnoxious... But who knows, once I start playing, maybe they'll start to grain on me.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Scrubber wrote:

Shouldn't pagies be making either a golden sparkly noise or alternatively a noise resembling paper?

No is the simple answer. It is an artistic and style choice.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Hopix wrote:
Scrubber wrote:

No is the simple answer. It is an artistic and style choice.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 pm

I actually love the voices, and I could probably have a conversation with Trowzer all day. He's my favorite. I also love Heidi the ghostwriter's tee-hees. I'm also impressed that each of the pigs have slight variations and differences to tell them apart.

Dr. Quack is the only one that's a bit annoying to me, but I'm not too bothered by it.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:I actually love the voices, and I could probably have a conversation with Trowzer all day. He's my favorite. I also love Heidi the ghostwriter's tee-hees. I'm also impressed that each of the pigs have slight variations and differences to tell them apart.

Dr. Quack is the only one that's a bit annoying to me, but I'm not too bothered by it.

I love the sign-post dude and the power bar extender, lol.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:I actually love the voices, and I could probably have a conversation with Trowzer all day. He's my favorite. I also love Heidi the ghostwriter's tee-hees. I'm also impressed that each of the pigs have slight variations and differences to tell them apart.

Dr quack has grown on me. It has a slight duckness to it. Good voice. Trowzers is and always will be a no for me. So annoying. I'm very glad the pigs oinked and didn't just go "ahh, uhh, ohh, ahh"

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:12 pm

I guess I can see why some people would have the voices used, but I thought they were fine. I actually like Yooka and Laylee's voices, and I thought Trowzer's voice matched his personality.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Hopix wrote:

I love the sign-post dude and the power bar extender, lol.

Love those. Molycool is probably my favourite voice, but I also like Rampo (he sounds so over-the-top) and the hot-tub in Icymetric.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 am

It's a matter of preference. Personally, I enjoy Yooka's voice and Capital B's, while Scoffsalot's mix of grunts and barfs really isn't to my liking. However, I wouldn't ever claim it's bad only because it doesn't suit my personal preference. It's simply too subjective a thing to complain about, and a minor one, too.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:58 am

NEVER had a problem. Like Banjo I just accepted it.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”